In Defense of the DSE 901

Status
Not open for further replies.

dee5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
Northwest Arkansas
Back in the dawn of e-cig time the DSE 901 was all the rage. Why has this great little e-cig fallen out of favor? Nobody but me, it seems, recommends it as a great starter kit any more, much less as one you could use forever and be perfectly happy with. I've been using this model for 2 years this month and I still love it. Check out this video I made in it's defense and you'll see what I mean:

YouTube - In Defense of the DSE901 002

Thanks for watching!

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Nice video. I started with a little blue 901 auto. I'm also not a fan of the 510. But the lack of throat hit in the 901 was what got me to go away from them. I only use the 801/BE112 or 801 cartos but only on a 5 volt PV. Once I get my variable volt Darwin, I may give the 901 another try. Everyone tells me the Darwin makes every atty better. When I tried it with my 801, I have to agree with that statement. The Darwin is a real "game changer" in the vaping world.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I like my 901 but, the charge on the batteries doesn't last long and they are glitchy :p

Have they made a better more reliable battery yet? Yours looks longer than the ones I have. =D

Just get a better PV such as the 5 volt GLV2 or the Darwin variable volt PV with a 510 to 901 adapter and you will solve your battery problem.

webbcm127

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2010
wenatchee WA
i have a few different PV's and i still love my 901...the batteries do suck but libertyflights has a 901 riva and that is awsome....750mah bat! and i believe it runs at 3.7v, ive tried the 510...eh the flavor of a 901 is by far better..a lil less TH but some PGA will change that, alot of vapers like the 901 atty but not the bat so an adapter or one of those riva bats is the way to go.....in defense of the dse 901!-)

TonsO>apoR

Feb 1, 2011
Texas
OK so I am gonna need some info here. I have purchased Variable Volt Mod "THE DON" and I have the 901 connection being put on it. When using it at 3.7v which Atty do I use the (901 Standard, HV or LR)? Same Question for Using at 5v, 6v. and 7.4v? This will be my 1st HV mod, so any help is appreciated.

3.7v = Which Atty?
5v = Which Atty?
6v = Which Attyy?
7.4v = Which Atty?

CritterBuddy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
OK so I am gonna need some info here. I have purchased Variable Volt Mod "THE DON" and I have the 901 connection being put on it. When using it at 3.7v which Atty do I use the (901 Standard, HV or LR)? Same Question for Using at 5v, 6v. and 7.4v? This will be my 1st HV mod, so any help is appreciated.

I had to look this PV up because I was trying to figure out why you were asking for such specific voltages if The Don is variable volt. It is variable volt but only to these specific voltages depending on your battery configuration. Wow, they even make their own 5 volt battery - interesting.

So the answer to your question is.... depends. I know that's not the answer you were looking for but you have to understand it all depends on what you like when you vape. Most people talk voltage and ohms... I talk watts. The reason for this is it doesn't matter what voltage or ohm you are using what matters is the amount of power (watts) you find satisfying. Some folks on ECF want to be around 9-10 watts. That's okay if that is what they like but I personally like being around 5.5-6.5 watts whether I'm using my 901, 510, or whatever. I find any more wattage than this and I get a burnt taste, vapor is too hot, etc.... not enjoyable for me.

FYI – standard 901 attys are 3.0 ohm and tend to vape cool which although it will give you more flavor it doesn’t have the throat hit most people want. However, standard Joye 510 attys are 2.5 ohms and in a bit we’ll see why they produce more throat hit and most people go to them.

Okay, let me see if I can help you out here a little as we need to find your watt range that will satisfy you. Go to this website: Ohm's Law Calculator We'll use my preferences for examples because I know through trial and error that my watt range is 5.5-6.5 watts. When you enter 3.7 volts and 2.5 ohms resistance and click calculate you get 5.476 watts. This is the bottom wattage I prefer. Now enter 3.7 volts and 2.0 ohms resistance and click calculate to get 6.845 watts. Yes, this is a little higher than I stated earlier but still works for me. So I usually use 2.0-2.5 ohm attys to get the flavor, throat hit, etc. I like. You’ll have to do the same using your voltages to figure out what you like but for 3.7 volts this would be a good place to start and what I’d recommend. Maybe you’ll be one of those who prefer the 9-10 watt range?

Hope this wasn’t too confusing and good luck in your adventure!

Almost forgot, you can get attys ranging from 1.5 ohms all the way up to ??? Here’s a link to an ultra high resistance atty for the 901:
IKV XHV 901 5.2Ω Atomizer

humpty

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
HK
Just about all mods out there are for manuals. I can only play about with manuals. When I daily vape, I need to sorta day-dream, but I can't do that with a manual cos of the conscious press of the button ruins the vape.
901 to me is the de-facto.
I've read many posts and youtube vids, where the author ends up saying " .. I always go back to the 901..".
That's because you know what to expect from the 901.

I'm guessing the intense taste you get from it is from the slightly longer barrel, where the vapours are having more time to mix.

I have also noticed that the batts that lasted the longest (more than 6 months), were the ones I didn't experiment with. I am suspecting it is the LRs that affected the circuits.)

renstyle

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Boone, Iowa
I have also noticed that the batts that lasted the longest (more than 6 months), were the ones I didn't experiment with. I am suspecting it is the LRs that affected the circuits.)

Yes, exactly. A going from a 3 Ohm atty to a 1.5 Ohm effectively doubles the current draw on your battery.

Voltage (volts) = Current (amps) x Resistance (ohms) (Ohms law the earlier post was mentioning)

If you have a 3.7V battery, hook it up to a 3 Ohm atty, you will get a current draw of 1.23AMPS (1230mA) for the few seconds the button is pressed.

If you take that same battery and use a LR 1.5 Ohm atty, the current draw doubles to 2.46Amps (2460mA).

The toughest part with talking about batteries in PVs is that the "mAh" rating comes from other industries which calculate battery capacity based on continuous or near-continuous use. Hitting the button on a PV is akin to Frankenstein shocking the monster to life with lightning, only in the reverse. I suppose the atty is taking the place of the monster when talking about a PV.

Think about PV batteries more like really good car batteries. Car batteries are designed for incredible current draw (500+ amps) when you start your car, but it only actually "works" for seconds each day. We've all seen where a flooded car, or some other issue preventing it from starting, you can run down a car battery in a matter of minutes. Used properly that same battery will last years. Honestly with what we put batts thru I'm impressed that they bounce back the way they do at all.

Earlier somebody mentioned focusing on watts. The equation for that is just as easy:

Power (watts) = Voltage (volts) x Resistance (Ohms)

If you want to swap voltage for current you get:

Power = Current^2 x Resistance (Power = Current x Current x Resistance)

Taking the results of what we did earlier:

Power output with a 3ohm atty = 1.23A x 1.23A x 3.0 ohms = 4.5387 watts

Power output with a 1.5 atty = 2.46A x 2.46A x 1.5ohms = 9.0774 watts

The equations are nice and easy since the only thing we did was halve the resistance, and it changed (doubled) everything in the discussion. Voltage stays the same (3.7v).

When you start changing more than one variable, especially the voltage, things get more complicated. Uses the same two basic equations tho.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread