In My Real Experience Single Coil Setup better than Dual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertfelin

Sep 18, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Tried several attempts to on dual coil setup in my Atomizers since so many people in the forum favors it.
But in my experience, Dual Coil Setup heats up a lot slower than a Single Coil and also produce lot less vape. Yes. a lot less.
When i did 1.5ohm single micro coil with kanthal, compares to 1.5ohm dual micro coil with same wire.
single coil almost heat up instantly, produce TREMENDOUSLY amount of vape, compares to dual coil setup, it heats up delay like few seconds, and only produce few amount of vape.

Been tried with VV/VW mod also Mechanical mod. In different Atomizer such as Kraken, V5, iGo-W. All gives me the same result. Single coil out perform Dual coil.

Any Pros here may advise what am i missing here?:blink:

ghostridr

Dec 7, 2013
United States
Well if you take a atomizer that was built for single coil setup, then yes. But if you mod the same atomizer to accommodate what a dual coil (extra/larger air holes, more juice supply, etc...) setup requires, then no. Take a Kayfun style RTA and dual coil it then see how it differs from the intended single coil setup, now look at the aqua. So in my experience dual coil can preform better if done right.

A simple analogy would be like slapping a turbo in a car by itself won't yield the net performance you expect without having to redo the rest of the performance upgrades along side it (larger fuel pump, bigger radiator, stronger internals, etc..). Same principles.

Last edited:

bertfelin

Sep 18, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Well if you take a atomizer that was built for single coil setup, then yes. But if you mod the atomizer to accommodate what a dual coil (extra/larger air holes, more juice supply, etc...) setup requires, then no. Take a Kayfun style RTA and dual coil it then see how it differs from the intended single coil setup, now look at the aqua. So in my experience dual coil can preform better if done right.

A simple analogy would be like slapping a turbo in a car by itself won't yield the net performance you expect without having to redo the rest of the performance upgrades along side it (larger fuel pump, bigger radiator, stronger internals, etc..). Same principles.

IDK. but i am def knows what i am doing. Plus if someone is been here long enough, should know all the Atomizers i listed it's naturally support Dual Coil.

As the Air Hole, how's the difference is going to be, if the coil only produce a tiny amount of vape? It's not like burning fire the more air you blows in, the fire gets stronger lol.

I also owns a Kayfun and i am well pleased with just Single coil setup.

As for the Cars, NA or turbo. If anyone that has knowledge about car engines, for sure a NA 300HP should be outperform a Turbo 300HP engine in anyway.

ghostridr

Dec 7, 2013
United States
IDK. but i am def knows what i am doing. Plus if someone is been here long enough, should know all the Atomizers i listed it's naturally support Dual Coil.

Make lower resistance coils, increase the air/juice flow and power.

As the Air Hole, how's the difference is going to be, if the coil only produce a tiny amount of vape? It's not like burning fire the more air you blows in, the fire gets stronger lol.

That's exactly how it works.

I also owns a Kayfun and i am well pleased with just Single coil setup.

But do you own or used a aqua?

As for the Cars, NA or turbo. If anyone that has knowledge about car engines, for sure a NA 300HP should be outperform a Turbo 300HP engine in anyway.

We're not talking all things being equal, it's about taking what you have and making it better if that's what you want; Beit single, dual, triceratop, dragon, neckbeard, twisted, etc... coils.

In the end if you can't get the basics right, then don't bother trying to get more advanced, you won't see the results.

Last edited:

crazyarms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Thousand Oaks, CA
I have found that recently I've been favoring my single coil setups over my dual builds. To the point now where I'm selling off almost all my gear except my reo and single coil drippers because of it. Its mostly not a flavor thing or vapor thing for me. I always got great flavor and vapor from dual coils but i was running them at .4 ohms and below. Im enjoying the extra battery life of keeping my ohms up and single coiling as well as the juice conservation.

bertfelin

Sep 18, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I have found that recently I've been favoring my single coil setups over my dual builds. To the point now where I'm selling off almost all my gear except my reo and single coil drippers because of it. Its mostly not a flavor thing or vapor thing for me. I always got great flavor and vapor from dual coils but i was running them at .4 ohms and below. Im enjoying the extra battery life of keeping my ohms up and single coiling as well as the juice conservation.

Exactly. I am trying to get apple to apple comparison. If a 1.5Ohm single coil is better than 1.5 dual coil, or being say it need dual coil to be 0.75 ohm to be able to achieve what 1.5 single coil can do; why the heck would i sacrifice my battery life, putting a higher risk in danger of explosion, in order to stick with dual coil?

ghostridr

Dec 7, 2013
United States
In an atty that is designed for dual coils... and drilled bigger holes... and coil setup correctly... then the vape is extreme.

I run a dual coil setup in my igo-w daily and love it. The only downside is that it drains batteries really quickly and I need to carry spares lol

As well as eating up more juice.

bertfelin

Sep 18, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
In an atty that is designed for dual coils... and drilled bigger holes... and coil setup correctly... then the vape is extreme.

I run a dual coil setup in my igo-w daily and love it. The only downside is that it drains batteries really quickly and I need to carry spares lol

Maybe in extremely low OHM dual coil setup, this can be true, due to u can only get certain amount of wraps against lower ohm coil.

In order to get the lower ohm coil the less wraps you can get. the less wraps the less contact surface area with wick.

But on the other hand, you can also increase contact area simply going with higher number gauge wire, or lower resistance wire.

Last edited:

crazyarms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Thousand Oaks, CA
Oh I see what you are saying now. So your are talking about a 1 to 1 comparison. So a 1 ohm single coils will hit better than a 1 ohm dual set up. I'm not sure the physics behind this but it is relatively easy to explain.

If you need 10 wraps of 28g micro coil to get around 1 ohm for a single coil you will need double the wraps on 2 coils to get 1 ohm. Essentially a dual coil setup with a net value of 1 ohm is actually two 2 ohm coils run in parallel. Double the wraps means a much longer heat up time. And in this case a less satisfying vape.

Unless you are using a VV/VW mod this setup will not function as well. If you are using a mech you would be better off with a single coil at 1 ohm. Less wraps = less heat up time and more power to those 10 wraps rather than spread across 4 times as many wraps.

I believe i explained that correctly. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Revelene

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Kentucky, USA
For reference, I use 28g Kanthal A1 and it comes out to be 0.6 ohms. Edit: 6 wraps, not sure what the diameter is because I used a random screw I found laying around the house..

yne7y2a7.jpg

All juiced up and vapes like a boss!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bertfelin

Sep 18, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I think i found the answer to my own question.
whether you gets a high power output, its determined by the current output of your setup.
current output = the AMPs that your Mod is producing.

I=V/R so a battery at 4 volt rating with a 1 ohm coil can output 4A.

so by putting the same amount of power on dual coil than a single coil, instead of you fireing all the power at a single channel, it gets distributed in dual channels at double surface, which generates less heat on each channel. that's why dual coil always heats up slower and produce less vape at a set ohm compares to the same ohm setting on single channel.

in results, if a dual coil setup's each single coil need to get performance pair to a single coil setup's coil, the ohms rating need to be cut in half too in order to produce same amount of the heat on each coil. so a dual coil need to be at 0.5ohms in order to have each coil generates the same heat compares to a single coil rated at 1ohm.

which I=V/R 4/0.5 = 8amps

for most of the 18650 IMR battery, such as mine Efest it has 2000mah with 10c discharge rate, which can be safely discharge at 20A current.

but for my 18350 Efest IMR, 800mah with 8c discharge rate, can only be safely discharge at 6.4A.

so people should stay away with 18350 mod with dual coil setup for safety.

Revelene

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Kentucky, USA
I think i found the answer to my own question.
whether you gets a high power output, its determined by the current output of your setup.
current output = the AMPs that your Mod is producing.

I=V/R so a battery at 4 volt rating with a 1 ohm coil can output 4A.

so by putting the same amount of power on dual coil than a single coil, instead of you fireing all the power at a single channel, it gets distributed in dual channels at double surface, which generates less heat on each channel. that's why dual coil always heats up slower and produce less vape at a set ohm compares to the same ohm setting on single channel.

in results, if a dual coil setup's each single coil need to get performance pair to a single coil setup's coil, the ohms rating need to be cut in half too in order to produce same amount of the heat on each coil. so a dual coil need to be at 0.5ohms in order to have each coil generates the same heat compares to a single coil rated at 1ohm.

which I=V/R 4/0.5 = 8amps

for most of the 18650 IMR battery, such as mine Efest it has 2000mah with 10c discharge rate, which can be safely discharge at 20A current.

but for my 18350 Efest IMR, 800mah with 8c discharge rate, can only be safely discharge at 6.4A.

so people should stay away with 18350 mod with dual coil setup for safety.

Science!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
More surface area = more flavor/vapor, no way to change that. If done correctly, the comparison, then you will always end up with more flavor and vapor in dual coils

Trying to compare this way will almost always lend to a single coil working better unless you are throwing 20watts at the dual (which I doubt you did). I find dual coils unnecessary unless you are running them below .7ohms - exactly what you found is they take too long to heat up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread