• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

In need of a moment of squee-ing.. >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.

poeticwomyn

Mar 10, 2009
Missouri
I got two new toys.. my Pilot came the next day. :D

The show isn't until the 28th.. but I'll try to remember to get some good photos. I just have to decide whether to use my RN4081 or my Pilot for the show, settle on what numbers I'm doing, and update my Greaser costume. So psyched!! :D
Please do keep us informed ! I think Kings are great! I do spoken word (sometimes) but think to do a king on stage would take a lot of guts. Thought about it a couple of times, but all my friends laughed at me and said "you Kat, no way" too funny. Have you decided what numbers you will be doing?

Sadie

Feb 22, 2009
Alberta, Canada
It's a blast! My partner and I did a spoken word from the Fugitives at one of the drag shows a few months back now.. such a riot. I wouldn't trade king-ing for anything.. which is strange, because I certainly don't fit the butch-masculine stereotype that all the other kings in the troupe do. My character is definitely masculine, but in my every-day life I'm more androgynous than anything else. *Shrug*

I haven't heard whether they want me to do one or two numbers.. but seeing as it's a Greaser themed fundraiser I plan on doing "Doin' Time for Bein' Young" from the Crybaby soundtrack.. it was the first song I ever performed, and it's become my character's trademark. I've been working on "Prowling" from the Grease 2 soundtrack as well, so I'm set if they need a second number from me. :)

You should totally give it a try if you have the chance.. it's been one of the most liberating experiences in my life!

poeticwomyn

Mar 10, 2009
Missouri
By spoken word I mean a poetry slam, where the words are written and performed by the artist. This takes some guts too because you have to put your thoughts and words out there to be judged. But I do like it when I can get up the courage.
We have a local bar in town that does drag shows quite often and I think they have amatuer night once a week. I might think about it , might be fun. Last time I mentioned it to my partner she said if I wanted to try it she would be supportive of anything I wanted to do. LOL

Sadie

Feb 22, 2009
Alberta, Canada
In that case, the piece my partner and I did was more of a reading I suppose. But we do have a few kings who come out with their own written work and perform it at the shows. The troupe I perform with is really free-form.. mostly drag lip-sync performances, but sometimes we have people come in to play their own music, sing, read poetry or prose, comedy, burlesque. It keeps things fresh, in that you never really know what you'll see that night! ^.^

Good on your partner for being so supportive! I know lots of kings who's partners weren't too comfortable with the idea.. gender roles are so set in our society that anyone bending them is bound to catch a little flack, but not having to worry about it from the people who actually matter is a big thing. My partner is totally supportive, and lets me use her as a 'girl-prop' for some of my numbers.. she even dressed up as a showgirl and danced for me when I did "Willkommen" from Cabaret!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread