In the market for a new Atty but what to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I know everyone has a favorite and I've seen good things about the falcon but just not sure. It must be subohm, preferably able to take drop in coils or build your own. Doesn't have to be a rbta but will save buying another tank when I figure out the coil part. Does need a tank and not a rda. Must be able to work with temp control. Does not need to be a large tank, a mini is fine. Any ideas for me? Oh yeah, money is an issue so can't be ultra expensive unless it can also drive my car and make coffee plus give me a back massage. I'll settle for an inexpensive tank that doesn't leak and calls me mom.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I picked up a Falcon on eight vape for 21.99 and coils were on sale for 6.99 a 3 pack. Don't know if they will release a rba for it. It is the 7ml with bubble glass but comes with the regular glass as the spare. I have plenty of rtas so no rba isn't a problem for me. Wanting something that I can just drop a coil in and most are getting good coil life. Juice guzzler tho.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I missed that one. Sold out :(

Now to scour the web lol
Someone keeps bidding against me too. Maybe I'm not meant to have this now :eek: yeah right. If this is the tank for me I'll find one eventually . I have Smok tanks galore, just felt I needed a change.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I missed that one. Sold out :(

Now to scour the web lol
Someone keeps bidding against me too. Maybe I'm not meant to have this now :eek: yeah right. If this is the tank for me I'll find one eventually . I have Smok tanks galore, just felt I needed a change.
ElementVape has them for under 30.00 and MFS has them + free shipping this week, no code needed.

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I can only comment on the last tank i bought that has proved to be drama free and would recommend if you want easy to build/wick and doesnt leak (unlike 2 big name and popular "leakproof" tanks, in a row, i sent back recently, both using the same flawed seal system and having a similar manufacturing defect)

$21.88 Authentic OBS Crius II RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 3.5ml / 304 stainless steel + glass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

*comes in different colours, change by choosing from the model selector box on right in page - thought id better point that out for anyone new to FastTech

RF5LoAm.jpg

Nice easy tank to use build and use...and arguably the most stable TC tank ive ever owned, and i did wonder if the clamp deck would make it less so, but no!, the opposite. Also the first tank ive ever, in 3.5 years, been able to comfortably use wide open...usually i have to half close the airflow on tanks, every other tank ive ever owned gave me hiccups wide open, this thing is smooth as....great build quality too, even the packaging is top notch.

Havent stopped raving about this since i got it

Last edited:

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I can only comment on the last tank i bought that has proved to be drama free and would recommend if you want easy to build/wick and doesnt leak (unlike 2 big name and popular "leakproof" tanks, in a row, i sent back recently, both using the same flawed seal system and having a similar manufacturing defect)

$23.31 Authentic OBS Crius II RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 3.5ml / 304 stainless steel + glass at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Nice easy tank to use build and use...and arguably the most stable TC tank ive ever owned, and i did wonder if the clamp deck would make it less so, but no!, the opposite. Also the first tank ive ever, in 3.5 years, been able to comfortably use wide open...usually i have to half close the airflow on tanks, every other tank ive ever owned gave me hiccups wide open, this thing is smooth as....great build quality too, even the packaging is top notch.

Havent stopped raving about this since i got it
Right now I only have pre-made coils. If I go with this what coil(s) should I use? I have the set of 8 from Demon killer.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If they're exotic coils, maybe choose one of slightly higher resistance than drop ins (more mass in the coil means more wattage and more surface area to heat the coil.

If they are non exotic coils, I'd probably start with one that has a resistance close to what you enjoy with drop ins, it's as reasonable place to start as any.

Good luck!

Anna

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Right now I only have pre-made coils. If I go with this what coil(s) should I use? I have the set of 8 from Demon killer.

Im just guessing Demon Killer coils are prolly Clapton/exotics? I dont do Claptons etc, just not for me, but they will work just fine. I have never used prebuilt coils, of any kind (never owned a prebuilt coil tank either, jumped right into RTA's...so i had less outgoings and reliance on vendors etc) and i always toss the prebuilts that come with RTA's and use my standard builds.

Im boring, still wrapping single wire coils 3.5 years on, my standard build is 7 or 8 wraps of 316L stainless steel on a 3mm drill bit or coil winder, gets me around 0.6Ohms, repeatable build results once every 3-4 weeks, gives me all the vapour i personally will ever need with fast ramp up, low cost/maintenance vaping...currently it costs me AUD$0.79 per week to vape in a country where it costs AUD$30 a pack of cigarettes, and some people smoke a pack a day...*shudder* i used to be one of them

Anyways 26GA SS316L wire is probably the most popular wire and gauge going around atm, for a simple single wire coil

Cant advise on Clapton wire, which you certainly get premade on a spool and wrap yourself, same amount of wraps will usually come out lower due to the wire makeupl, though you'll prolly use less wraps due to the extra width of the wire across the build deck..

Once youve wound and wrapped a few coils it becomes second nature, wicking is usually where people have to fiddle.

As with any tank, you can go on youtube and see a review and build video on most of them

This is the one i recommend for the Crius II, the way he builds is the way i do it when it comes to wicking - i.e. fold the wick ends (i use rayon though) over the deck and cut (none of this cutting them via eyeballing/guesswork when horizontal nonsense you see in about every video)...and its a good transferrable method/tip for most GTA (Genesis Tank Atomiser) style RTA's out there too...of which there are a lot these days. I have experienced none of the "cons" Mike does btw

My last comment on the Crius II is dont be freaked out if you buy one and get a white zirconium clamp instead of the black one you'll see in videos, everyone i know here has in Oz who bought one has a white clamp :)

Last edited:

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I use AVS wire and prebuilt coils. Love them, performance and life are great. My favorite is the tri core fc for flavor.
Advanced Vape Supply code AVS will give you 20% off.
Darn, I already ordered more wire than I can use. But I'll note it just in case. Thanks!

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Im just guessing Demon Killer coils are prolly Clapton/exotics? I dont do Claptons etc, just not for me, but they will work just fine. I have never used prebuilt coils, of any kind (never owned a prebuilt coil tank either, jumped right into RTA's...so i had less outgoings and reliance on vendors etc) and i always toss the prebuilts that come with RTA's and use my standard builds.

Im boring, still wrapping single wire coils 3.5 years on, my standard build is 7 or 8 wraps of 316L stainless steel on a 3mm drill bit or coil winder, gets me around 0.6Ohms, repeatable build results once every 3-4 weeks, gives me all the vapour i personally will ever need with fast ramp up, low cost/maintenance vaping...currently it costs me AUD$0.79 per week to vape in a country where it costs AUD$30 a pack of cigarettes, and some people smoke a pack a day...*shudder* i used to be one of them

Anyways 26GA SS316L wire is probably the most popular wire and gauge going around atm, for a simple single wire coil

Cant advise on Clapton wire, which you certainly get premade on a spool and wrap yourself, same amount of wraps will usually come out lower due to the wire makeupl, though you'll prolly use less wraps due to the extra width of the wire across the build deck..

Once youve wound and wrapped a few coils it becomes second nature, wicking is usually where people have to fiddle.

As with any tank, you can go on youtube and see a review and build video on most of them

This is the one i recommend for the Crius II, the way he builds is the way i do it when it comes to wicking - i.e. fold the wick ends (i use rayon though) over the deck and cut (none of this cutting them via eyeballing/guesswork when horizontal nonsense you see in about every video)...and its a good transferrable method/tip for most GTA (Genesis Tank Atomiser) style RTA's out there too...of which there are a lot these days

It does seem to have a lot of Clapton coils. I'm waiting for the wire I ordered. In the meantime I'll use the pre-made coils. Will probably use the Clapton alien 0.45ohm. Least scary looking of the lot. Appreciate y'all taking the time to help me out.

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
It does seem to have a lot of Clapton coils. I'm waiting for the wire I ordered. In the meantime I'll use the pre-made coils. Will probably use the Clapton alien 0.45ohm. Least scary looking of the lot. Appreciate y'all taking the time to help me out.

Despite not using premades ever, i can see where they can be a great help when starting out (i just like to throw myself in the deep end:) and do things the hard way :)) to ease your way into a new tank (removing a variable if it isnt going well), and as a fallback when youre first wrapping your own coils, and maybe frustrated...i can see the benefit there!

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I know everyone has a favorite and I've seen good things about the falcon but just not sure. It must be subohm, preferably able to take drop in coils or build your own. Doesn't have to be a rbta but will save buying another tank when I figure out the coil part. Does need a tank and not a rda. Must be able to work with temp control. Does not need to be a large tank, a mini is fine. Any ideas for me? Oh yeah, money is an issue so can't be ultra expensive unless it can also drive my car and make coffee plus give me a back massage. I'll settle for an inexpensive tank that doesn't leak and calls me mom.

Themis mesh deck. No not really. I haven't got it yet to recommend it. And it doesn't have premade coils. It just looks easy enough with mesh to not need premade coils. I'm hoping mesh does TC right.

Saving buying another tank while you figure out the coil part sounds like a desperate situation. The problem I've had, and even more so lately is rebuildable doesn't use drop ins, drops ins don't have a build deck or aren't clear that they come with a build deck.
When I won the Scion II it took the help of ECF to find a build deck in stock in the US and it's for the Scion I.
And when looking at getting something new suggestions end up like my first paragraph and recommendations are whatever I just bought even though it hasn't been put through the wringer. (Scion II with the rebuild deck can be a huge leaker BTW, that's one reason I'm getting the Themis.)

If you are in dire straits I'd go back to tried and true. Find a Kanger SubTank (preferably TopTank), later revisions were pretty leak free. Being an oldie money shouldn't be an object. If you have any problems with leaking builds there is a lot of knowledge how to stop them. Has premade coils, has a pretty easy build deck. The deck definitely works with TC (not sure if they have drop in TC coils). There is a reason SubTank has been my main tank that never gets taken out of service because of atmospheric conditions and I have 8 of them (whoa, I have a problem:lol:), it's old reliable.
In my eye until top air flow most everything else is just a knock off trying to do SubTank better.

Then when you're not worried about finding another drop in coil tank while you figure out the build on a new tank you can try new stuff.
Or what do you have and what are your build problems with it? YouTube is great for getting build tips that are easy to follow.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Themis mesh deck. No not really. I haven't got it yet to recommend it. And it doesn't have premade coils. It just looks easy enough with mesh to not need premade coils. I'm hoping mesh does TC right.

Saving buying another tank while you figure out the coil part sounds like a desperate situation. The problem I've had, and even more so lately is rebuildable doesn't use drop ins, drops ins don't have a build deck or aren't clear that they come with a build deck.
When I won the Scion II it took the help of ECF to find a build deck in stock in the US and it's for the Scion I.
And when looking at getting something new suggestions end up like my first paragraph and recommendations are whatever I just bought even though it hasn't been put through the wringer. (Scion II with the rebuild deck can be a huge leaker BTW, that's one reason I'm getting the Themis.)

If you are in dire straits I'd go back to tried and true. Find a Kanger SubTank (preferably TopTank), later revisions were pretty leak free. Being an oldie money shouldn't be an object. If you have any problems with leaking builds there is a lot of knowledge how to stop them. Has premade coils, has a pretty easy build deck. The deck definitely works with TC (not sure if they have drop in TC coils). There is a reason SubTank has been my main tank that never gets taken out of service because of atmospheric conditions and I have 8 of them (whoa, I have a problem:lol:), it's old reliable.
In my eye until top air flow most everything else is just a knock off trying to do SubTank better.

Then when you're not worried about finding another drop in coil tank while you figure out the build on a new tank you can try new stuff.
Or what do you have and what are your build problems with it? YouTube is great for getting build tips that are easy to follow.
I guess I should have said I have 2 kanger toptank minis in addition to the smok baby, big baby, tfv4 mini and x-baby and one rda goon that I can wick but not recoil.... Yet. I got a few COV tanks to practice with since they were practically giving them away. My biggest problem is waiting on wire and the rba's for the smok and kangers to arrive. Oh I also have 2 revvo attys but they only take drop in and a kanger subtank I got off ebay but haven't used yet. I think I might have an atty addiction :) I'm impatient waiting on wire. Guess I don't have to have a new atty but I really want something different.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I guess I should have said I have 2 kanger toptank minis in addition to the smok baby, big baby, tfv4 mini and x-baby and one rda goon that I can wick but not recoil.... Yet. I got a few COV tanks to practice with since they were practically giving them away. My biggest problem is waiting on wire and the rba's for the smok and kangers to arrive. Oh I also have 2 revvo attys but they only take drop in and a kanger subtank I got off ebay but haven't used yet. I think I might have an atty addiction :) I'm impatient waiting on wire. Guess I don't have to have a new atty but I really want something different.

Then by all means buy new and better. You're well stocked with old reliables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread