The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

In the news

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Adja, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Adja

Adja Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Fox News in Detroit ran a short story on the e-cig tonight. They interviewed a doctor to get his opinion on using the e-cig as an aid in quitting. The doctor stated that using nicotine to quit smoking is an effective way to go about it.

Overall, it was a fairly positive report. The only negative was that the doctor also said that since people would still be simulating the smoking experience as well as receiving the nicotine, that they really aren't "quitting".

I was encouraged though, as there wasn't anything about dangers of e-cigs, or anything like that, and they ended the report by saying that they will put a link to the particular e-cig that they were "testing" on their website.

Hopefully a little positive press will get more people interested in making sure the e-cig stays available as a choice.

I am excitedly waiting for the delivery of my first unit. I received my "order shipped" email today. Hopefully I will receive it in the next day or two.

2. bassnut

bassnut Crumby Jokes ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
  3. ezmoose

ezmoose Guest

Dec 18, 2009
    USA
    A somewhat neutral report; better than FDA propaganda though.

Thanks for posting and the link!

4. bassnut

bassnut Crumby Jokes ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I left a comment thanking her and providing more info along with the CASAA website address. We'll see if it gets posted. Probably tomorrow.

Thanks, Adja!

5. carguy50

carguy50 Full Member

Apr 16, 2010
    canada
    Adja, the doctor was right.....don't ever think that you have quit smoking. You have just found a MUCH smarter way to do it. While on holidays this March I lost my juice...guess what I bought smokes for 4 days....moral of the story GET BACKUPS THEN GET BACKUPS FOR YOUR BACKUPS

6. Adja

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks for posting the link and contacting Fox2 Bassnut!

Carguy, I know that the doctor was technically right, but I do believe that this will be a much healthier alternative, and my goal is to reduce the mg in my juice gradually, and hopefully eventually get to 0mg. That may be a pie-in-the-sky kind of hope, but I have read so many success stories here that I am filled with hope right now. My starter kit should be here by Wednesday or Thursday. Yippee! I will definitely heed your advice on keeping stocked up. <g>

7. glares

glares Full Member

Apr 1, 2010
    USA
    with a really good PV, you just might get there. i was vaping 24mg juice with a subpar PV. eventually i got a much better PV and immediately found the 18mg carto too strong.

8. Drozd

Drozd Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NW Ohio
    well now that Michigan has passed their indoor smoking ban ecigs have been getting alot of news there..several towns have said that they really won't enforce it...but several of the smoke shops are carrying ecigs as they forcast a loss in business when winter rolls around and the full effect of the smoking ban is felt

9. KeepNitReel

KeepNitReel Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    Petersburg,Va
    I tried vaping 0mg and found that only menthol liquids will give me that throat hit that I continue to look for. I use to vape 26mg but now I currently vape 9mg, anything lower does not do it for me.

10. Adja

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I think you are right Drozd, that there are a lot of people in Michigan who are panicking about the smoking ban.

Personally, I don't really hang out in bars much anymore now that I am older and have developed an ulcer, but back in the day I couldn't possibly have imagined (still can't) standing around in the bar without smoking. It just wouldn't have been possible. :)

Restaraunts shouldn't really be that big of a deal though, I don't think. I have never had any problem refraining from smoking long enough to eat a meal. I suppose the smoking ban will affect those who normally linger after the meal though.

The idea of not being able to smoke walking down a public street is an outrage. What comes next? No blue shirts? No flip flops? Just more bureaucratic nonsense.

11. Adja

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks glares and KeepNitReel for your input! I will be happy with reducing the mg level, as you have both done. I currently smoke an "ultra light", and I find anything stronger to be too strong, so I am hoping that the 11mg cartomizers and the 8mg refill juice that I ordered will be a good level to start at. I have read enough threads now to understand that it differs for everyone, and I will just have to wait and see what works for me.

Thanks again to all here for your advice and input!

12. KeepNitReel

Mar 18, 2010
    Petersburg,Va
    Personally a blue shirt or flip flops have never caused my daughter's asthma to act up but some guy smoking in front or next to us while walking down the street has. Killing ourselves slowly is one thing but exposing our cloud of death to others that did not ask for it and were smart enough not to pick up the habit is another.

13. jj2

jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood

In Illinois the ban started the first of the year so it was cold outside.
    What came next here? The answer: A lot of people gathering at homes. I’ve seen basements and garages remodeled into home bars. The people who gather at a home a few blocks away from me got together and put up an above ground pool and deck. The deck is great too because part of it is screened in. They also put AC & heat in the garage with on BIG flat screen TV.
    I go there every once in a while when walking the dog just to say hi when it’s early enough I know no one is inebriated.

Unluckily, the first guy from that group I got to try the e-cig had an adverse reaction. Couldn’t get him to try VG and now I’m having problems getting anyone else to try it.

The down side of this nice place for friends to gather is that water and alcohol don’t mix, and it can get a bit loud there. Luckily, it’s on the edge of town and set back far enough that it doesn’t bother too many people.
    A lot of businesses were hurt because of the ban and those that are still around, still aren’t doing the same kind of business. The question then turned into, “Where are all the non-smokers?”

14. violetgypsie

violetgypsie Full Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Montreal
    Smoking has been banned in several Canadian cities for years. It takes some getting used to but you do. I can tell you that not smoking inside in Vancouver was a heck of a lot easier to do than in Montreal in the winter. I am looking forward to ordering my first PV and not having to freeze my butt outside this winter as I do not smoke in my house.

And to tell the truth I am really sick of the smoke. I look foward to not smelling like an ashtray all the time and not having to run outside upteen times a day for a cigarette and stop what I am doing because of it.

My plan is to ween myself off the nicotine slowly. I think I will try to stick to VG as much as possible, seems lots of problems with the alternative. Wish me luck.

Thanks for the media link. The more positive exposure to this product, the better.

violetgypsie

15. Adja

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    KeepNitReel, please accept my sincere apologies if I offended you. I have the utmost respect and sympathy for persons with medical issues. It was simply my agitation with the increasing governmental regulation which is creeping into all areas of our lives that caused my unchecked remark. I usually try to be more policically correct.

jj2, those are some interesting observations about what has occurred in Illinois since the ban. May I ask, are you in the Chicagoland area?

Violetgypsie, I am also looking forward to not smelling like smoke. Especially since my husband does not smoke (never did). He has been putting up with it for too long with no complaint. I owe this to him.

16. cliff5550

cliff5550 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I must disagree with an earlier comment that you are still a smoker if you vape. Not true.
    I may still be addicted to nicotine but I am not a smoker. That is where we run into trouble with the anti-vapers. They also see vaping as smoking.
    Vaping is not smoking and smoking is not vaping.
    I've been a vaper for 11 months. I will NEVER AGAIN be a smoker!

17. KeepNitReel

Mar 18, 2010
    Petersburg,Va
    Very big of you to apologize but I was not offended, your fine. I am a smoker (now vapor) but i feel that the laws for tobacco cigarettes should get tougher in the public like the no smoking rules in the amusement Parks. Non smokers rights should be above smokers rights, people don't need cigarettes to live. I believe vaping is the fix all for everybody.

18. Stu

Stu Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 29, 2009
    Queens, NY
    My thought's exactly.

19. Adja

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    KeepNitReel, thanks for your clarification. I am glad I didn't offend.

20. KeepNitReel

Mar 18, 2010
    Petersburg,Va
    If you check off non smoker on your healthcare insurance form & tests show that you have nicotine in your system will your insurance company consider you a non smoker?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.