The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Inactive CPUs/Members and Team ECF Titles

Discussion in 'Team ECF Folding Forum' started by retired1, Sep 23, 2014.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. retired1

retired1 Administrator Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Been noticing that we have a LOT of inactive CPUs. Seems we have quite a few who did one or two work units and then stopped for whatever reason.

As an incentive to keep the Team ECF title, I'm going to start checking to see who's active and who isn't. For now, if there have been no contributions to the team statistics for a year or more, I'm going to remove the team title from the profile. I may adjust this to 6 months later on down the road, but for now, I'm looking at 12 or more months of inactivity.

• Like Like x 1
  2. irwink

irwink CASAA Member ECF Veteran

Mar 16, 2010
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    This might get a bit more exposure in the General Forum.

• Like Like x 2
  3. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    If they wonder where the title went, they'll figure it out by coming to the proper forum. ;)

4. irwink

Mar 16, 2010
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Yeah well however it develops maybe it will get a few folding again. Cooler weather's coming so the computer as supplemental heater thing may help too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    I'm also going to be checking those who folded a couple of units, requested a title, then stopped the folding client. To me, that just smacks of trying to get the title without actually doing anything for the team. Those titles will be removed as well, regardless of the length of time that's passed.

6. timinftl

timinftl Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 6, 2013
    Fort Lauderdale
    Are you or anyone else having problems with the FAH server ? My video is working normally but my cpu won't go past "updating core" for couple of days now....

7. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
  8. JimmyDB

JimmyDB Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 3, 2014
    Not aware of any issues over here...

9. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    I've been slowly working my way through the list, and am rapidly approaching the end of the list.

Up to now, I've been removing the titles on accounts that haven't processed a work unit in over a year, or did just a few to get the title.

After doing some thinking on this, I'm going to set the cutoff at 6 months. This will accommodate for those that tend to shut things down during the hotter months.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AndriaD

AndriaD Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    I realize this may be rather low on the priority list, with all the :w00t: of the "conversations," but will we be getting the Team ECF title back? That was how I first found out about folding@home so it's good PR, to have them...

Thx
    Andria

• Like Like x 2
  11. cinetrope

cinetrope Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Joshua Tree, CA
    I agree with Andria, our team is losing active members faster than we have been replacing them.

12. AndriaD

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    And that is a shame, a crying shame, when a simple linked title could get back the "clickbait." The absence of that link is why I put the folding@home thing in my sig. Truthfully, with folding@home running in the background, I never even notice it's running unless I actually look at the webpage that shows it working.

So many unused CPU cycles that could be put to good and valuable use...

Andria

13. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    • Like Like x 2
  14. irwink

Mar 16, 2010
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Folding@Home is not promoted on ECF. I've tried from time to time. This part of the forum is buried. We used to have our own sub topic listed on the main forum page. Seems the powers that be really don't care.

On another note I'll be shutting down my folding rigs next week as I'll be out of town. I used to manage them remotely but they're a few cracks in remote management of Windows machines.

• Like Like x 1
  15. cinetrope

cinetrope Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Joshua Tree, CA
    It's pretty amazing what a relative "handful" of folders have done for this team...and we don't even have the incentive of EVGA Bucks...

16. Frenchfry1942

Frenchfry1942 Chillin' Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2014
    There is a title?!? I wanna be a Count. Count Frenchfry sounds pretty cool! Chocula and I, being foods, have to stick together!

• Like Like x 1
  17. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Sorry folks. We're still working on things under the hood. The titles will come back, but until we get some other things settled and working properly, some of the "foo foo" things continue to take a back seat.

• Like Like x 2
  18. irwink

Mar 16, 2010
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    When and if the titles come back do what you said you were going to do - strip it from long inactive members. Currently there are only 67 active members out of 669. Put up or shut up.

• Like Like x 1
  19. AndriaD

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    Actually I can't say I really mind that... it gives those of us actually doing it a chance to rise up the Team ECF ratings list! :D

Andria

20. retired1

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Just because the title is removed doesn't remove them from the Team list. The majority of that 669 no longer belong to the Team ECF usergroup. Bear in mind, the list and what we do here with the title are two totally separate things. We have absolutely no control over the actual team list displayed by Folding@Home.