Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
I've had my REO mini (the 14500) for a bit now. Started with 510 atty, was decent, but wanted more, so I listened to the masses and got myself a RM2. My first coil was ugly, vaped better than the 510, but I would get the amazing hit I had heard about from Reonauts on one puff, then practically no vapor on the next. Okay, I thought, my first microcoil, lets try this again! My next several tries ran the gamut from horrible to okay. None were as good as what I'm getting off my RSST and mech, or even dripping with the 510 atty on my SID. I love the way the REO feels in my hand, love the portability and convenience of the bottom feed, the fact that I can drop it and not worry that it will break, but even with my best effort, sometimes I get a fantastic pull, other times I hit that button and get literally nothing. I'm using 28 gauge kanthal and cotton, following the video tutorials as closely as I can. I've tried everything from 7 wraps to 12 wraps, wrapping on a 1/16th drill bit. Have the coil away from the posts without getting too close to the sides. Doing the fire and squish thing. I have to do a pretty solid button push to fire, am I maybe having a hardware issue? I really want to love this thing, and I can see the potential in the great hits I do get once in awhile, but I'm getting frustrated.

Dturp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Okc
First off you need to be ohm checking your coils on that mini those batteries won't do sub ohm safely from my understanding. Second if you're not getting good heat after the first puff double check the screws on the coil they tend to loosen on a fresh coil after it's heated a few times. I always double check mine but it was worse when the RM2 was new.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
First off you need to be ohm checking your coils on that mini those batteries won't do sub ohm safely from my understanding. Second if you're not getting good heat after the first puff double check the screws on the coil they tend to loosen on a fresh coil after it's heated a few times. I always double check mine but it was worse when the RM2 was new.

I have been checking with a digital multimeter, they have ranged from 1.3 to 1.8 ohms. Screws nice and tight.

Dturp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Okc
Hmm ok interesting... If you have the cap off is it firing every time or maybe I'm misunderstanding exactly what's happening? The mini does heat up slower for sure. When i use my mini i preheat...meaning i push the button a second before taking a puff versus with the grand i push button and puff at the same time. Try a 1.2 ohm coil and do that see if that doesn't help. Mostly with the REO RM2 combo finding what works and being consistent is the key for me.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
Hmm ok interesting... If you have the cap off is it firing every time or maybe I'm misunderstanding exactly what's happening? The mini does heat up slower for sure. When i use my mini i preheat...meaning i push the button a second before taking a puff versus with the grand i push button and puff at the same time. Try a 1.2 ohm coil and do that see if that doesn't help. Mostly with the REO RM2 combo finding what works and being consistent is the key for me.

I did notice the slow fire thing, I've been taking kind of a double puff, a sort of "primer puff" right at the beginning, then a full drag. Sometimes great, sometimes not.

Try filing the firing pin, & putting noalax on it

I did the noalax thing right off the bat, I don't think that's the issue, although the firing contact is kind of a point, so not a lot of room there. I'm using button top batteries, is it maybe slipping off the button top? Would I have better contact with flat tops maybe?

Dturp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Okc
No you are using the correct batteries. Making sure they are situated correct and possibly sticking a little piece of cardboard or something to keep them from moving helps. The grand the batteries are a perfect fit never a worry the mini i have to remind myself to barely push the button to make contact otherwise it moves the battery around.

Dturp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Okc
Okay, tried putting some noalax on the buttontop itself and slipping a bit of folded business card next to the battery to hold it in there tighter, that does seem to help a bit!

I don't own a mini 2.1 so i can't comment on them but the grand is far less temperamental then the mini. I love my mini but it's really to small for my big hands and the fact i need to baby it both squonking and button pushing makes it rarely used. My grands i can mash the bottle and push the button firmly and never worry just a thought.

Vash

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2012
ethervapes.com
28 gauge will heat a little slower.Try pulsing the button quick and then holding down and take a hit.Also try 8-10 wraps 30 gauge and see how that works for you.Maybe give it a full cleaning like in Roberts video and then file and noalax again and see how that helps.

How old are you batteries too? Might be issue with the batteries and not the Reo.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
I don't own a mini 2.1 so i can't comment on them but the grand is far less temperamental then the mini. I love my mini but it's really to small for my big hands and the fact i need to baby it both squonking and button pushing makes it rarely used. My grands i can mash the bottle and push the button firmly and never worry just a thought.

Yup, I knew pretty soon after I got this (it's the Mini v1) that I probably should have held out and got a grand. This was a good deal on the classies, so I snapped it up. I'll keep working on my coils, hopefully I'll get it going to potential. I might try a more traditional wick & coil set up, I've spent most of the day on these microcoils and cotton and not having much luck.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
28 gauge will heat a little slower.Try pulsing the button quick and then holding down and take a hit.Also try 8-10 wraps 30 gauge and see how that works for you.Maybe give it a full cleaning like in Roberts video and then file and noalax again and see how that helps.

How old are you batteries too? Might be issue with the batteries and not the Reo.

Hmmm, dunno on the batts. I got this used and the batteries were sent along with it. AW IMR 14500's, so I know they are quality, but age-wise I have no idea how long the guy I got it from had them.

Vash

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2012
ethervapes.com
Hmmm, dunno on the batts. I got this used and the batteries were sent along with it. AW IMR 14500's, so I know they are quality, but age-wise I have no idea how long the guy I got it from had them.

Shoot him PM and asking how old they are that might help and give the 30 gauge and full cleaning a try too :) Yeah the Grand is a beast and with some AW IMR 18650 1600 mahs you can run that baby all day .I run.8-1.0 ohm coils on it with 28 and 30 gauge and no issues .

Hopefully some of the Reo vets will come along and be able to help more than I can .Good luck !

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
i don't use my mini much and haven't bought a milled down rm2 for it, so i may not be of much help, but...

did your batteries last a goodly amount of time when you were using attys? and were the attys in the same ohm range as your coils? if not,

you might be able to "half-azz test" your batteries by measuring the voltage fresh off the charger and again after some period of vaping both with rm2 and atty. maybe that will indicate if batts are part of the problem. that may save you from buying another batt, just to find out yours are fine.

Vash

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2012
ethervapes.com
i don't use my mini much and haven't bought a milled down rm2 for it, so i may not be of much help, but...

did your batteries last a goodly amount of time when you were using attys? and were the attys in the same ohm range as your coils? if not,

you might be able to "half-azz test" your batteries by measuring the voltage fresh off the charger and again after some period of vaping both with rm2 and atty. maybe that will indicate if batts are part of the problem. that may save you from buying another batt, just to find out yours are fine.

Great points :)

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
Howdy, CrimsonJack, welcome!

I'm assuming you have the AW IMR 14500's. If so, I'd test the batteries about 30 minutes after you take them off the charger (before you use them). They should read between about 4.18 and 4.21 volts. If not, it may be the batteries. If the batteries are okay, then proceed with:

(since you've filed and noaloxed the firing tip) try firing it with the door off so you can watch it fire, to be sure the tip is making good contact with the nipple on the battery (and no sparking). I've heard of some REOs where the firing pin is misaligned and you get just what you're experiencing, intermittent firing (these were from the classies as best I can remember, never on a new one). Watching, you can also tell how hard to press the button, it really doesn't take much pressure at all, if you over squeeze the button, it can mash the tip of the firing pin out of place.

Also, I'm using a grand now, but started out with the 14500 minis, and they should be just as rock solid and consistent as the grand, just with smaller juice bottle and battery. And for the record, I use the same technique Robert demonstrated of just hand wrapping around a folded piece of silica, winding up with about 1.8 ohms. Nothing fancy, but it works flawlessly.

Don't give up, we'll get this all sorted for ya :) And in the worst possible case, you can send it in to Robert (at reosmods.com) and he'll fix it right up for you in no time. Keep us posted, and again, welcome to REOville!

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
Howdy, CrimsonJack, welcome!

I'm assuming you have the AW IMR 14500's. If so, I'd test the batteries about 30 minutes after you take them off the charger (before you use them). They should read between about 4.18 and 4.21 volts. If not, it may be the batteries. If the batteries are okay, then proceed with:

(since you've filed and noaloxed the firing tip) try firing it with the door off so you can watch it fire, to be sure the tip is making good contact with the nipple on the battery (and no sparking). I've heard of some REOs where the firing pin is misaligned and you get just what you're experiencing, intermittent firing (these were from the classies as best I can remember, never on a new one). Watching, you can also tell how hard to press the button, it really doesn't take much pressure at all, if you over squeeze the button, it can mash the tip of the firing pin out of place.

Also, I'm using a grand now, but started out with the 14500 minis, and they should be just as rock solid and consistent as the grand, just with smaller juice bottle and battery. And for the record, I use the same technique Robert demonstrated of just hand wrapping around a folded piece of silica, winding up with about 1.8 ohms. Nothing fancy, but it works flawlessly.

Don't give up, we'll get this all sorted for ya :) And in the worst possible case, you can send it in to Robert (at reosmods.com) and he'll fix it right up for you in no time. Keep us posted, and again, welcome to REOville!

Okay, tested a batt that's been sitting around charged for awhile and the voltage seems fine. Since I haven't had much luck with the microcoil and cotton thing, I took your suggestion and wrapped up a folded silica wick, came out to 1.2 ohms. Vaping better than my attempts at microcoil so far. The firing is still kinda wonky. I'll keep working on it and keep ya'll posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread