Increasing the NIC level of e-juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
Any amount of the nic liquid that you add will decrease the flavor, unless you add more flavoring. Also, if the nic liquid is PG, adding any nic liquid will decrease vapor, unless you add more VG. If the nic liquid is VG, adding any nic liquid will decrease the throat hit. The decreases could be minor, but it will depend on how much nic liquid you add.

By the way, the 36mg non-flavored liquid you bought is called "liquid" and is not called "juice" until you mix that nic liquid with more PG and/or some VG and some flavoring. Then it could be called "juice."

The best way to increase your 4mg juice (without decreasing the flavor) is to buy the same juice at a higher nic mg strength and mix the two together.

Here's a simple example:

To get 11mg, you could add the same amount of 18mg juice to the 4mg juice. 18mg + 4mg = 22 divided by 2 = 11mg.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You know that you are going to take a huge taste hit by boosting it from 4mg to 11mg don't you? How much 4mg juice do you have and how much do you want to end up with?

If you want to see the math, here it is.

Let:
X = amount of 36mg Unflavored juice
Y = amount of 4mg Flavored Juice

So, (36mg(X) + 4mg(Y))/(X+Y) = 11mg
=> 36X + 4Y = 11X + 11Y
=> -7Y = -25X
=> Y = 25X/7

Hence your equilibrium function for 11mg is Y = 25X/7

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Or maybe this looks easier:

(mg#1 x ml#1) + (mg#2 x ml#2) divided by (ml#1 + ml#2) = total ml and total mg

Many different ways to turn the wrench when it comes to Algebra. The cool thing about math is we should both get the Same answer. I tell people what ever is easier for you is the best way.

I think a lot in X, Y and Z vectors. A two dimensional system also lends itself well to graphing also.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm just used to functions where you plug in a value for X and the function returns a value for Y. Where is your formula lends itself well towards doing a calculation in a spreed sheet. But by all means, what ever cause the least amount of Brain Twisting should be used.

One thing I would mention is if you can choose any mg to go up to, why choose 11mg? 11 is a prime number and doesn't factor well.

Where as 12mg is a Happy number. It's 3 times 4 and its also one third of 36. 12mg is a number that even if your Algebra isn't all that hot you can kinda figure it out.

Going from 4mg to 12mg using 36mg sounds like one of those things you can do Egyption style with match sticks. Or at least get close.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Here's the Math again for 12mg instead of 11mg

Let:
X = amount of 36mg Unflavored juice
Y = amount of 4mg Flavored Juice

So, (36mg(X) + 4mg(Y))/(X+Y) = 12mg
=> 36X + 4Y = 12X + 12Y
=> -8Y = -24X
=> Y = 3X

Hence your equilibrium function for 12mg is Y = 3X

Just chose any amount for "X" (36mg Unflavored juice), say X = 10ml and plug it into the function Y = 3X

=> Y = 3(10ml)
=> Y = 30ml

So you need 30ml of 4mg juice added to 10ml of 36mg juice to make 12mg juice. Sounds like a 3 to 1 ratio to me.

Davo

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Heart of Dixie
To all that posted here to my question... THANKS. This will get what I want done. And deback, I do understand it will weakin the flavor and I may have to aument that as well. I simply bought some 4mg/ml juice and then realized it was too lame on the TH. I went too far weaning my NIC level when I bought this stuff, oops!

Hey zoiDman, sorry about that 11 thing, hell I should have thinking about the math thing (I might not have been thinking at all). For what ever reason there is a lot of 11mg/ml "store bought" juice out there, so that's what I was shooting for. But hey, 12 is GOOD enough for me. Now where did I put that calculator.... LOL Thanks again guys!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Good deal... Sounds like things are working out.

11mg or 12mg, you'll never know the difference. When you start to do DIY mixing it helps to find numbers that you can divide evenly. 1/3 is alot easier to work with than 7/25.

Unless you have a set of 1/25, 3/25 and 7/25 measuring spoons. LOL.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
BTW - The reason sometimes you see odd ball mg numbers like 11mg is because of the way they make juice.

If I buy a gallon of 36mg unflavored juice, it is easy to cut it down to 12mg with a 3 to 1 ratio. Now I have 12mg unflavored juice. So when the customer order comes in for say Peach, I add 10% peach flavor to the 12mg unflavored juice. The flavoring lowers the mg by 10% so they call it 11mg juice.

Davo

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Heart of Dixie
BTW - The reason sometimes you see odd ball mg numbers like 11mg is because of the way they make juice.

If I buy a gallon of 36mg unflavored juice, it is easy to cut it down to 12mg with a 3 to 1 ratio. Now I have 12mg unflavored juice. So when the customer order comes in for say Peach, I add 10% peach flavor to the 12mg unflavored juice. The flavoring lowers the mg by 10% so they call it 11mg juice.

That makes perfect sense... Yeah I was looking at that equation and had flashbacks to my electronic schooling. I was not good at all in math in HS and the very first day of Electronics they started off the math class with simultaneous equations, which I believe is what you presented. I almost fainted! I got a tutor!!! That’s been a LONG time ago my friend… but I was still able to follow your math, so my education paid off in more ways than one.

Davo

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Heart of Dixie
Results: being that I'm not a seasoned DIYer, I wanted to be cautious (no good measuring equipment), so I only added a 3ml bottle of 36mg "liquid" to my existing 15ml of 4mg "juice" (instead of the calculated 5ml) and walah...much better TH now. Yeah, it wacked the flavor a little bit, but at least now the juice is more acceptable to me.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Here another way you can think about it, count the mg's.

You have 3ml of 36mg juice. 3 x 36 = 108mg
and you have 15ml of 4mg juice. 15 x 4 = 60mg

When you add them together, 108mg + 60mg, you have 168mg

Now divide by the total ml you have, 3 + 15 = 18ml

So 168mg / 18ml = 9.3mg per ml

Thus you made 9.3mg juice.

Sounds like it worked out fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread