INCREDIBLE 510 cart upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KreeL

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
West Texas
I picked this up in the modifications forum, and it's something I wanted to post here to show that it DOES work on the 510 carts.:)

OMG!

I just modified my 510 cart with a coffee stirrer. I've used poly fiberfill (greenbag/walmart) for several weeks now, and I am pretty efficient at building carts. Not too much - not too little, yada yada yada.

So I take a coffee stirrer (really has two small chambers but allows ample air and they are FLAT on one side). I cut it down to where it is apx. 1.2 milimeters from the lip, angle the bottom cut and set it aside.

Then I make a regular insert with the poly, but leave off a bit to allow for the tiny straw. I insert it...then pull it out apx. 2 milimeters and cut it off with scissors. I work it back in so it is just below the lip (as always), then I take my little straw and using the paperclip work it down along the sidewall. The little straw, btw, is maybe a 1/2 inch to 5/8s long? Pretty small, but perfect fit.

Then I dripped 20 drips EFFORTLESSLY on the poly side, not the straw, into the cart! It would have held more, but I was totally blown away at how it absorbed perfectly.

Then the test. I am using e-smokeytreats vanilla and first of all, the flavor is now perfect. I can't believe how good it tastes. BUT the DRAW is totally AWESOME! Light, smooth, and big vapor that doesn't let up!

I've turbo-charged my 510! This is an awesome, easy to do mod-idea that will blow you away.

Thank you, opusMorian!! You da man!

KreeL

BTW, here is opusMorian's original post:

I came across this when I was doing a USB pass through mod.
The issue is that every time I try to refill, I can only get about 3-4 drops in the cart before it fills to the top. I know the 901 carts with the sponge material can take at least 7 drops. I made a small modification by cutting about 1.5mm off from the bottom of the sponge material, then insert a shrink tube (any straw like material with an hollow center will do). The shrink tube's inside diameter is about the same as a toothpick. With this mod I was able to fill about 7-12 drops before it was full. I am also able to vape longer without refills.

The Idea:
graphic1g.jpg

The Steps:
Cut a length of the straw to the size of the cart chamber minus 1.5mm.
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x480 and weights 19KB.
img0973.jpg

We also need to cut a angled slit to expose the cross section of the straw on the bottom.

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x480 and weights 21KB.
img0975l.jpg

Here is what it looks like in a cart with the sponge material.
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x480 and weights 37KB.
img0976i.jpg

Been vaping for about a week and it works perfectly!

The original link:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/11421-cart-mod-better-refilling.html

Last edited:

Anonomo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2009
Missouri
That's a tip I will definitely try. Can anyone help me out on the poly fiber material they are using? My wife picked up two different types of poly-fil material from Micheals craft store. One bag contains poly that is really poofy-fluffy, the bag resembles a small pillow. The other is labeled as Traditional Craft Batting (35 x 46 in sheets) that looks like it is used for quilt making. This poly-fil material is noticably flatter and denser. The bags were cheap but I don't need both and will return one. Any recommendations on which one to keep? Thanks!

laynies

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2009
Phoenix, Az
That's a tip I will definitely try. Can anyone help me out on the poly fiber material they are using? My wife picked up two different types of poly-fil material from Micheals craft store. One bag contains poly that is really poofy-fluffy, the bag resembles a small pillow. The other is labeled as Traditional Craft Batting (35 x 46 in sheets) that looks like it is used for quilt making. This poly-fil material is noticably flatter and denser. The bags were cheap but I don't need both and will return one. Any recommendations on which one to keep? Thanks!

This link goes to a thread where poly-fil was discussed. Might be worth a read before you decide.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/9541-cartridge-filler-materials.html

KreeL

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
West Texas
anononmo - It works for me {floofy fluffy}! I'm not above trying a teabag some day, but some posters post about a plastic taste using it {floofy fluffy} that I've never experienced. The floofy fluffy works perfect for me and I can make a bazillion rebuilds for less than $3. :)

MrKrinkle - How you like that draw? Notice any difference in the flavor?

Last edited:

MrKrinkle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
MrKrinkle - How you like that draw? Notice any difference in the flavor?[/quote]

I like the draw its a bit smoother less of a fishy face and I do notice the flavors coming out quite a bit better... I can actually taste the caramel in the RY4 and the Cappuchino just got even better Ill let you know how it improves the flavors of the more fruity & Dr Pepper flavors I have but right now the RY4 & Cap are just so yummy and my favorites anyway... Thanks Again love the simple improvements!!! especially when they work!!!

KreeL

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
West Texas
I found that I needed to taper BOTH ends!! If not, the straw plastic rests on the atomizer bridge and melts the plastic straw a bit, which isn't good!

After tapering the top as well, it works good. I almost wrote off this mod but tapering top and bottom is what I'd recommend!!

I cut mine a bit shorter than the picture shows. You really don't want the plastic touching the atomizer (YUCK). In fact mine sits a little lower than the top of the stuffing. BUT, an angle cut at both ends might work just as good!

The most important thing to remember is leave an air pocket at the bottom of the cart. I can now go at least twice as long before topping off, and the atomizer is running cooler for some reason. Plus the carts are emptying better which leaves less of one flavor if you happen to switch to another one in the same cart. I found I can alternate banana and vanilla quite well, and watermelon and red bull in another cart and the flavors don't mix. AWESOME! This is like adding mechanical liquid injection or something. Smoother draw, bigger vape - gotta love it!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread