INCREDIBLE 510 cart upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Thought I would chime in. The manual battery is necessary when using the straw mod. I have found that when you first load the cart if you pull too fast you get a lot of liquid that floods the atty and gets liquid in my mouth. The only solution is to draw slow. I get tons of vapor by drawing this cart slow but it really heats up the atty because you have to run the battery longer.

This is why the manual battery is a must. Drawing using the automatic battery requires a couple of hard draws to make it work right.

Kevin

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
One tip that may be helpful for some, if you can't find the small double straws you can improvise. I am using the single straws but I have flattened them to reduce the volume. This seems to work very well. I cut 2 small notches between the tapered end and the top to allow better wicking. Absolutely improves the cart performance in the 510 cart.

Kevin

brownbrown4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2009
San Diego
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok.... i tried this mod with a syringe needle.... it was a 20 gauge...
i cut it to length with wire cutters and cut again at a small angle. then i opened the flattened cut by squeezing it with said pliers softly. and then
them i rolled back the needle tip on its self to make it not sharp i put it in the cart and blew at it kinda hard
. . .. outcome.....
i had a full cart already... ugh.. had to clear it (36mg) ugh...
i noticed that it hit many more (too many times).times before i had to refill. and the vapor stayed thick throughout.
upon refilling.. i noticed it was dry all around the entire poly. but the center was still slightly saturated...

i want to try it with a way larger gauge needle next....
or maybe in the center or something

Jeff

NPerez

Jun 9, 2009
Northern NJ
I'm using a Q-tip and it works fine. Anyone know if double-straws/coffee-stirrers work better in any particular way?

Also, with the last cart that I straw-modded, I was too lazy to remove some of the polyfill.. I know others have mentioned this, but I must stress the importance of removing a decent chunk of it - I was having all kinds of problems with juice in my mouth, no flavor, having to top off constantly.. removing some polyfill fixed everything.

gr8dane

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama
When I was reading thru this thread, someone suggested putting a spring at the bottom of the cart (sorry, I'd give props to the OP of this idea but I can't find it). On another thread, someone (Leaford maybe?) said they'd cut a slice of soda straw and put it in the bottom as a stand-off, but it was more trouble than it was worth. I remember thinking at the time, that it would be really sweet to have a french drain tile type standoff at the bottom with a relatively thin, but dense, layer of wool at the top, just enough to keep the liquid from releasing the incremental vacuum and draining out (and to wick to the bridge). In otherwords, a reservoir system. A spring would work great for this. Whoever suggested it, have you tried it?

tbremer

Jun 13, 2009
California
so i did the mod with a straw from a compressed air can (unused of course) and heres my review on it. i didnt notice it take anymore juice than normal, but it vapes much better it seems. the extra vapor makes it worth while. i simply cut it to what i thought was a good length (about 1/2") with a slant on the bottom, flat on top. if i desire more i will try poking holes and cutting a slant on the top but for now im happy with it

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
This has probably been asked, please forgive me for not finding it if it has, but the straw is simply to allow the trapped air to be removed, right? And it isn't the straw that we are filling with liquid, it's still the poly fill, right?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks!

Yes, the basic purpose of the straw is to allow the trapped air to escape from the poly-fil material. You can just fill the cart by dripping poly-fil material.

I use a different method that seems to work better, at least for me. I use the single stirrer straw which is too wide to insert into the curved portion of the cart. So what I do is flatten the straw partically so it takes up less space and then I cut off one whole side of the straw so that it is open to the poly-fil for the whole length of the straw. The spring tention of the straw will keep it open and allow much improved wicking over the full debth of the cart. I have wanted to take some pictures to show this mod but haven't had a chance. Anyway it works very well for the poly-fil.

Kevin

Yes, the basic purpose of the straw is to allow the trapped air to escape from the poly-fil material. You can just fill the cart by dripping poly-fil material.

I use a different method that seems to work better, at least for me. I use the single stirrer straw which is too wide to insert into the curved portion of the cart. So what I do is flatten the straw partically so it takes up less space and then I cut off one whole side of the straw so that it is open to the poly-fil for the whole length of the straw. The spring tention of the straw will keep it open and allow much improved wicking over the full debth of the cart. I have wanted to take some pictures to show this mod but haven't had a chance. Anyway it works very well for the poly-fil.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, when you get a chance to take a picture, it sure would be appreciated!

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
I've tried this method using the smallest possible tube I could find(the plastic flexible Q-tip, and it had an extremely small diameter). I did the exact method described in this thread(angle cut at the bottom, top of tube about 2mm below the top of cart) and the only thing that happened for me was this. If I held the e-cig vertically with the LED facing upward, the hit was above average and flavorful. However, as soon as I turned the e-cig vertically downward(with LED end facing down) air would rush into the cart and close to the entire content of the cart would empty into the atty. I could hear and feel it occurring. I then had to take the unit apart and blow out the atomizer. I'm not sure what I did wrong?:confused:

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Given we're using plastic carts and plastic fiberfill, but the plastic straw idea scares me a little...who knows what's in those cheap, disposable things when they heat up! Anyway, I came from a healthcare family, and I should be able to get various sizes of needles to cut up and try. I'll let you all know what works best (hopefully something you can buy in your local pharmacy!) -j4mmin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread