India vape ban will hurt Chinese vape companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
This video does a very good job of briefing us on what we need to know about the India ban. 42 million vapers (compared to about 10 million in the US) have been huge customers for the same Chinese products we buy. This hurts those companies and will effect us.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
So India (the nation) is running up a ban as well? India is a major exporter of nicotine base.

Is there data on this ban? Is it proposed or in place? How hard is it? If it is not yet in place what are it’s chances of being enacted? What does it entail?
Watch the video. Apparently it bans all import and export of vape products but nicotine is not mentioned specifically. India is going for a total shutdown of the business.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
So India (the nation) is running up a ban as well? India is a major exporter of nicotine base.

Is there data on this ban? Is it proposed or in place? How hard is it? If it is not yet in place what are it’s chances of being enacted? What does it entail?
Here's an earlier thread on the ban:
India is banning all e-cigarettes

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Watch the video. Apparently it bans all import and export of vape products but nicotine is not mentioned specifically. India is going for a total shutdown of the business.
About 2/3rds of it seems to be talking about how very big India is. This is even worse than the USA stuff and will potentially kill many more people. Plus it damages a major export of theirs. Is there anything that can be done?

This is the worst and most damaging place health wise something like this can happen that I can think of.

• Agree
Reactions: Astron

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
About 2/3rds of it seems to be talking about how very big India is. This is even worse than the USA stuff and will potentially kill many more people. Plus it damages a major export of theirs. Is there anything that can be done?

This is the worst and most damaging place health wise something like this can happen that I can think of.
Yeah, it's not cool.

This is, though, a political/money move. Market move. It's almost like Trump talking about tariffs for China, but it's India talking about shutting out USA tobacco.

India has its own BT, that's not USA BT. And the majority of Indian tobacco users use chew, not cigs. They have about a 37% tobacco use rate. IDK about taxes.

As others have said, they supply nic to our markets too.

This is all big-corporate and big-tax issues, economics, and scare tactics. Of course, they're worried about tainted products, but I'm pretty sure [guessing] that they know it's all hype too. But it sure is a convenient excuse, eh?

I've said it before in other threads, watch them come out with their own device(s) as an alternative to smoking. And who knows, maybe "better chew" too. I'm pretty sure that culturally they may have a different approach to things too:
Moreover, tobacco use alone accounts for about 40% of all cancers in India. Interestingly, this report claims that by as early as 2050 no one under 80 will experience cancer. However, as per Harvard Medical School’s report (Colditz et al., 2002), around 275 million Indians, in which 35% adults and 14% children aged 13-14 years, are tobacco users.

In recent days, the fact "tobacco causes cancer" is controversial in Indian media because of lack of awareness among people including some politician about the adverse effects of tobacco use. Some people think that tobacco is not a causative agent for cancer and it does not harm human health in any ways (Pandey, 2015). Many people accept that there are no research reports in India supporting dangerous health effects of tobacco. However, this explanation is unjustified because it is scientifically proven by scientists and health practitioners globally that tobacco is a causative agent for many diseases including life killing cancer. The primary aim to write this article is to aware public for the dangerous effects of tobacco on human health. The use of tobacco is risky for the health and it can be reduced or even stopped with the help of Indian ancient system of medicine i.e., Ayurveda and Yoga.
Adverse Health Effects of Tobacco and Role of Ayurveda in their Reduction

I also note that China is a huge tobacco producer too.

Darrgoe

Nov 20, 2016
Calgary Alberta Canada
Watched a Youtube video by Vaping with Vic. India has pretty much banned vaping and according to Vic, India has about 42 million vapers.

Now if each one bought just one mod or AIO that is still a lot of sales. What will happen to all these companies that make e-cigs do when a large part of their market evaporated over night?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
There are apparently some issues. Someone pointed out in another thread that the majority of Tabacco users in India aren’t smokers. They chew. The number of smokers is still very high though. Also while there is A BT in India it’s not the SAME BT, whatever that means.

The big thing that affects people outside India is India is one of the main world sources of nicotine base, and there is some sort of export ban.

My personal opinion at this point is I don’t know near enough about what is going on there atm.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
I remember watching an Indian movie a while back and I was shocked by how the movie was littered with govt anti-smoking warnings. They were literally throughout the entire movie, it was like spam. There were so many, it basically made the movie unwatchable. I guess that's a rule there, that movies have to include those anti-smoking warnings?

It's pretty funny or ironic how smoking is such a huge problem there, and then those geniuses go and ban vaping.

I guess you can't fix stupid.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
An export ban only hurts India more. How stupid are they? They don't want their people vaping, fine. But why worry about the rest of the world and lose the income they make from exporting nicotine? This is one of the dumbest things I've heard in this whole political circus! I wonder how long it'll last till they start exporting nicotine again and taxing the fu** out of it.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
A large portion of this nicotine production is industrial. It's lso used as a pesticide.
Hmmm...but do you produce usp products with that kind of purity for industrial or agriculture? Just wondering. And I know about the pesticide use, but what are the industrial applications for nic?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I remember watching an Indian movie a while back and I was shocked by how the movie was littered with govt anti-smoking warnings. They were literally throughout the entire movie, it was like spam. There were so many, it basically made the movie unwatchable. I guess that's a rule there, that movies have to include those anti-smoking warnings?

It's pretty funny or ironic how smoking is such a huge problem there, and then those geniuses go and ban vaping.

I guess you can't fix stupid.
One thing I’ve had banged into my head lately is people are people, and people are stupid. All of them about equally. Some areless ignorant about certain things but it often makes them more ignorant about other things. Also people can be given bad information even by people who don’t think the information is bad.

I don’t know much about the particulars of Indian politics. The why of this one is unknown. It DOES look like they’re buying themselves a gigantic future problem they may not see. Cigarettes kill. They do it very slowly, but they kill. E-cigarettes don’t kill, and most importantly they can help people who want to stop smoking stop.

I don’t know what the particulars are there. There have to be some though.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Are you guys sure there's an export ban?

All I've heard is they banned e-cigs.
My information is limited. There was a claim that everything was banned except the actual ownership of an e-cig. Sales, manufacture, import, and export. How true it is I don’t know though. Manufacture and export sound particularly strange.

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
Hmmm...but do you produce usp products with that kind of purity for industrial or agriculture? Just wondering. And I know about the pesticide use, but what are the industrial applications for nic?

You answered your own question. Pesticide use is industrial and not all nic production is USP. Just like not all PG and VG is USP.

You've been around a long time. Or is the post count all talking and no listening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread