Status
Not open for further replies.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Yeah... My question was kinda a Thinly Veiled comment on what is Wrong with the Politicalized Judicial System in our country.

What I want to know, does the judge who dismissed this case before the appeal get looked at closer. The summary judgement means the plaintiff is so off base there is no reason to listen to arguments. How political can a judge's action be, before there is an inquiry?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
What I want to know, does the judge who dismissed this case before the appeal get looked at closer. The summary judgement means the plaintiff is so off base there is no reason to listen to arguments. How political can a judge's action be, before there is an inquiry?

I am not very Versed on how Federal Judges are reviewed? I do recall reading that when a Lower Courts ruling(s) are Reversed by the Appellate Court, that some Review can be triggered. The Actually Mechanics, Frequency of Review, or Out Come, I don't know?

I do know one thing. Sometimes cases are Lost because the Wrong Argument approach is taken. Or it is just Poorly Argued.

I am in No Way saying that this is what Occurred in this Case.

Just mentioning this because sometimes a Judge might like to Rule against/for something. But their Hands can be Tied because what was brought to them was Inadequate to do so.

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
Here's another article about the same thing, it says a little more:
U.S. appeals court voids part of Indiana vaping law
The 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said Indiana went too far by subjecting out-of-state manufacturers to detailed rules for such things as sinks, cleaning equipment and even contracts with outside security firms, and could not enforce those rules against them.

Writing for a three-judge panel, Circuit Judge David Hamilton said the state's Vapor Pens and e-liquid Act has an "extraterritorial reach that is unprecedented," violating the "dormant" Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

But he said some of its rules were "remarkably specific," and that "only one company in the entire United States, located not so coincidentally in Indiana," met them

These circumstances raise obvious concerns about protectionist purposes and what looks very much like a legislative grant of monopoly," he wrote

Last edited:

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Just saw this on Hoosier Vapers facebook

7th Circuit Appeal ruling update:

1) The ruling does not remove the requirement to have an Indiana manufacturer's permit.

2) The ruling also leaves some of the requirements for permited products (allowed ingredients and certain label matters).

3) The ATC has issued the below statement that they cannot issue permits until the ruling is finalized by the lower court.

4) It will likely take around 20 days for the court to finalize the ruling.

5) Only manufacturers outside of Indiana are covered by the ruling and able to get a permit.

6) No matter what, even if it takes a little longer, this monopoly will end by July 1st.

7) Sen. Head's bill, SB 1, will reopen the market up for any business, in-state and out-of-state, to return to Indiana.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
The ruling sent the case back to the lower court that dismissed it for a decision guided by the circuit court's ruling.

Basically, in the near future out of state producers will be able to ship to Indiana without violating Indiana law. So shops will be able to carry non-compliant juice as long as it comes from someplace outside of the state and folks can get it in the mail without violating the law.

Until SB1 gets through the senate and house twice, without being gutted by the lobbyists working against us, and signed by the governor then waiting for the enactment date to roll around, Indiana juice producers, without a current permit, are still screwed. Many have lost their facilities, some have moved out of state, and some are holding out eating up savings trying to survive until the law gets changed. It's grim here.

We are not celebrating yet. The recent circuit court ruling was a good sign and sends a strong message, but we still have a long road ahead.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
TV is a great way to get the news from one lobbyist. Horrible way to get news of what is happening at the statehouse.

There is a huge push to increase cigarette tax another $1.50, eliminate all the places that there are left to smoke in public, and increase the smoking age to 21. Vaping has been left out of this push this year except for the age thing. They are planning on going for a vaping tax next year or the year after.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
A real slap would have been more like a complete reversal of the law.

I believe it was actually a judge who judged on the testimony before him. The suit was brought by an out of state producer so that's what was rules upon. The state's defense was basically: We can do this because we're the state.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
They'll raise the age to buy cigarettes to 21 but it won't raise the age for possession and won't seriously enforce because they want people to smoke because the tax money is so important. it's been this way forever. they will enforce ecig restrictions because ecigs hurt the tobacco tax. What ever laws they make will be enforced arbitrarily against people they don't like. Bad laws, bad law making. Corruption is so imbeded most people don't know it when they see it including most law makers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread