indoor vaping, mould, condensation, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
I did find a post about this from way back one somewhere online, but it was mostly speculative. wondering what the people who have lived with it for a while think:

since the vape don't set the fire alarm on fire (does it?); i've been indoor vaping, and really enjoying it. my apartment contract clearly states no smoking indoors and no putting up the laundry in the apartment (there's a designated washroom).

landlord's clear motivation for the is taking care of the wood and wallpaper etc. the discolouration from cigs that modern paranoia about the house catching fire and the more understandable mould/condenation problem with laundry. They're nice people and it's a nice old house they've inherited and want to take care of.

i've figured even the DL 60watt cloud is nothing compared to cooking, but figured i'd ask: how bad is the vapour for a building, its condensation etc.? like boiling water for tea? anyone had more mould problems after vaping indoors for a while?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Crack / slightly open a window. Air circulation.
Depends on what type smoke alarm/detector and how much bro cloudz you allow to build up in a room as to if it will sound an alarm when vaping.

Never heard of vaping creating / contributing to mold.
I guess anything is possible if you fog out a small room without introducing fresh air & circulation.

Every kitchen I've been in has an exhaust fan to draw out the byproducts of cooking.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
A lot will depend on endless variables...

How humid is your location? How many square feet is the house? How well ventilated?

I have a 130 year old house with its original wood and plaster. It’s lasted this long, and it’s anyone’s guess what all weird things have happened here.

But it’s a good sized house, plenty of air moving around, not in a very humid area, so mold isn’t a big worry.

Heating and cooking and burning candles are the only things I notice as far as leaving any residue.

My best advice is keep an eye on things. Go easy, no cloud contests, lol. And if you notice any build up where you vape often, consider going outside.

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
thanks for the input

@DeloresRose @Topwater Elvis i always do crack a window, vertically/the upper part (don't know what it;s called) nowadays given the cold, i only vape near and blow toward. certainly no contests etc.

thanks all for the warning against the smoke detector. i have been doing it three months or so and nothing rang, so hopefully not this.

kitchen actually has no ventillation, though landlord did have a few people over for an estimate last month, so maybe it's in the works. kitchen and bathroon do compile loads of mould and we clean with that spray and scrubbing every year or so.

vape=room is around 25m^2. closed. there's two big windows. but like i said, in the cold i only crack the upper part in the cold.

ok so per @BigPappa mould shouldn't be an issue. what about other effects? like disolouring the walls and wallpaper or the smell working its way into the would?

Reactions: DeloresRose

BigPappa

Ultra Member
Sep 21, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
ok so per @BigPappa mould shouldn't be an issue. what about other effects? like disolouring the walls and wallpaper or the smell working its way into the would?
If you're vaping something thick and dirty enough to discolor walls, I would re-think what you are putting in your lungs... lol Odds are it will be ok unless it is a really dark flavoring and you are blowing it in the same area of a wall constantly for an extended period of time.

As far as the smell, I would think that if it is a pleasant smell it would not really be much different or offensive than an essential oil diffuser (although a diffuser would probably be more intense). If you are vaping "horse crap flavor", I suppose that could possibly pose a problem after a very extended time of use, similar to defecating into a toilet multiple times a day and waiting an hour before flushing. lmao :D

If you are really paranoid about smell and discoloration, you could pick up a cheap air purifier and exhale towards it when you vape.

Unrelated to vaping, but worth a mention: If you already have an existing moisture problem, maybe think about a dehumidifier.

Last edited:

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
If you're vaping something thick and dirty enough to discolor walls, I would re-think what you are putting in your lungs... lol Odds are it will be ok unless it is a really dark flavoring and you are blowing it in the same area of a wall constantly for an extended period of time.

As far as the smell, I would think that if it is a pleasant smell it would not really be much different or offensive than an essential oil diffuser (although a diffuser would probably be more intense). If you are vaping "horse crap flavor", I suppose that could possibly pose a problem after a very extended time of use, similar to defecating into a toilet multiple times a day and waiting an hour before flushing. lmao :D

If you are really paranoid about smell and discoloration, you could pick up a cheap air purifier and exhale towards it when you vape.

Unrelated to vaping, but worth a mention: If you already have an existing moisture problem, maybe think about a dehumidifier.

i've been actually looking into the opposite direction for a different reason. a humidifier for heating-caused dryness... purifier is an interesting direction. has no effect on dryness/humidity i take it?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
thanks for the input

@DeloresRose @Topwater Elvis i always do crack a window, vertically/the upper part (don't know what it;s called) nowadays given the cold, i only vape near and blow toward. certainly no contests etc.

thanks all for the warning against the smoke detector. i have been doing it three months or so and nothing rang, so hopefully not this.

kitchen actually has no ventillation, though landlord did have a few people over for an estimate last month, so maybe it's in the works. kitchen and bathroon do compile loads of mould and we clean with that spray and scrubbing every year or so.

vape=room is around 25m^2. closed. there's two big windows. but like i said, in the cold i only crack the upper part in the cold.

Regarding smell getting into the wood... I have a small cabinet where I keep my juice and flavors. Over the years, stuff has leaked or spilled. The inside of that cabinet smells faintly like a vape shop. With the door closed you can’t smell anything. I think if I emptied it out and let it air out the smell would fade pretty quickly. But my point is, the smell from spilled liquids does leave an odor, nobody can smell vape in my house, so they tell me, except what I am currently vaping. And that cabinet has 150 bottles of flavors, and about 40 bottles of juice in it. So yeah, this much will smell a bit.

2B20BC5C-A7D7-4781-9E8D-81268A774ADA.jpeg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Pretty confident you have nothing to worry about, but vape clouds can set off certain types of smoke detectors. I did not know that until recently.

Some smoke detectors are ionization types and others use a photocell. Mine are combination photocell and ionization detectors installed by the alarm company that installed our burglar and fire protection and I've never had a problem with vaping MTL. We did have a false alarm one night. It turned out to be a faulty detector mounted on the ceiling. I've vaped in the same room for many years without the detector activating.

Last edited:

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
alright!
keep eye on windows
area of vaping
watch out for alarm (how sensitives are those things? i mean since it hasn't rung as such, does that mean it don't mind the vapour or just that it hasn't triggered it yet? i've subohmed inside with a little crack in window and for hours on end_ back home we don't have these iin houses, hence the ignorance)
is there a diff. between window-film and what might happen to the walls?

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The walls are gonna be fine. The alarm-- anyone's guess. I set off a fire alarm with ONE tiny MTL puff when I was adjusting the thermostat once. I should mention, this is an alarm that did not go off during our ACTUAL very smoky HOUSE fire, along with 30 others (so it seemed) that our FHA inspector wanted installed. The only one that went off and saved the husband from burning it down entirely.... Well, it was the original alarm.

I have no clue. I wouldn't worry too much. Window film is just a thing because it tends to collect condensation. The interior walls are not as COLD, because they're insulated and like, not cold on the outside and hot on the inside. The stuff comes off better with Dawn than with Windex if you must scrub the window. Your walls are gonna be Just Fine. Really.

In college, me and my roommate (we had a smoking room) and were known as "the smoking room" (there was probably someone in there almost 24-7 smoking. I mean, my roommate reported me waking up at least once and sometimes twice a night to smoke (I don't remember but I believe her) and the paint had darkened at least 4 shades in 2 semesters.

It was extremely fun. When we peeled down the posters we were just like, "Eh, it's a smoking room. So we smoked. Everyone smoked, A lot." Probably the use of MJ which is good for your lungs when smoked was what was keeping me alive. Etc.

Stop worrying.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread