Infinix, etc. autofiring risk: just paranoia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Hey everyone. So I'd ideally like to hear from smok Infinix owners, but if you own anything like an Infinix, Fit, Drop, Air. etc. feel free to chime in.

Anyway - my question is: is my fear of autofiring from condensation just paranoia, or is it justified?

Basically, after buying and falling out of love with dozens of devices over the years, I (like many folks) am now playing with pod systems. A guy at a local brick and mortar suggested that I try an Infinix, and for the size, this thing is GREAT. Sure, it's got a little spitback, but I find that it's just condensation/saliva, and never pure e-liquid. Other than that, the draw, flavor and vapor production are better than I expected.

However... you know how the internet works. After seeing just 1 or 2 comments/videos about autofiring, I am now terrified that this thing is going to fire up and sizzle in my pocket, and I won't react fast enough. And naturally it's leading me to not use it, immediately shop around for yet another mod to buy that has an on/off button, etc.

So, back to my question since I've rambled - justified fear, or just paranoia and shinyitis, and I should carry some Q-Tips in my pocket and relax? :) Thanks!

Reactions: stols001

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
The risk is real with any device (Infinix, Drop) that does not have an off switch. It has happened to me once with the Infinix. You can power off the Air and then it's not possible to autofire. The Infinix does have an 8 second cut off and "short circuit protection" which may or may not help. When mine autofired, I had just finished vaping and I noticed it right away so I pulled out the pod and cleaned the battery terminals.

The air intake on draw activated devices is below the pod. If you pull out the pod on the Infinix after taking a hit, you'll see vapor escaping the air intake. That's the cause of the residue. On devices that use a button and aren't draw activated, then the air intake can be on the side so that vapor doesn't build up at the contacts. I like draw activation and the regular maintenance it requires is worth it for me. If it's not important to you, you might look for a device that is push button and has an air intake on the side like the Minifit.

Also, if you make a mess filling, make sure to clean it up before inserting the pod. Any liquid around the fill port should be wiped clean or it will end up inside the device. In some videos they make a mess filling and I think the reviewers mistake this as "leaking". I've never had any leaking at all with the Infinix. I thoroughly clean the fill port each time I fill it up.

I use the Infinix all day and I don't clean the contacts as often as I should... probably once every couple of days... I've probably gone over a week without a cleaning once or twice though I definitely wouldn't recommend waiting that long. Autofiriing only happened once to me during one of those long vacations from regular maintenance.

Just clean the contacts every day or so or as needed. If it is a big concern, you might switch to the Air and keep it powered off. I actually leave mine powered on but it would be best to power it off after use.

Last edited:

APA1

Apr 12, 2018
I have the same problem and it happened after 2 weeks of using the infinix. It kept autofiring even without the pod in. Waited for it till the battery was empty and get discarded
How do you clean the contacts?

I take out the pod and just push a tissue into the battery a few times to soak up any liquid.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
q-tips-cotton-swabs-today-tease-stock-150824_e7b15862a730af332245566064d5283e.fit-560w.jpg

machinestatic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Thanks smoked25years, I didn't know that the Air has an on/off switch, so that and the Justfog Minifit are both on my list of things to try. The saving grace is that all of these pod systems are so cheap (compared to all of the 18650 mod/sub-ohm tank combos), so I don't feel bad at all about trialing a bunch of them.

As for the Infinix, it is definitely worrying to see 2 of the replies here mention their Infinix auto-firing. So I guess I'll baby mine with Q-tips every day, and the second it acts up, it's going in the garbage. I've got a Breeze 2 to hold me over too.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Getting annoyed with the Infinix lately. I didn't have many issues with the device until lately. The thing is now spitting all the time. I'm ready to throw it out the window. My two main devices now are the Juul and the JustFog Minifit.
I’ve been playing with a Justfog Minifit for about three weeks now, and I’m finding it pretty awesome. How tiny and how handy can these things get? I’m actually pretty amazed. I’ve even successfully recoiled two of the pods. (I “unsuccessfully” recoiled a couple, too, during the learning process. :lol:) Now I’ve got it down.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I’ve been playing with a Justfog Minifit for about three weeks now, and I’m finding it pretty awesome. How tiny and how handy can these things get? I’m actually pretty amazed. I’ve even successfully recoiled two of the pods. (I “unsuccessfully” recoiled a couple, too, during the learning process. :lol:) Now I’ve got it down.
I'm going to start playing with the Minifit this weekend. Planning on carrying it on a 10 day vacation instead of my usual DL setups if a week trial goes well.

I've already ordered some NR-R-NR 1.5ohm wire from Fasttech so I can rebuild the pods. Really looking forward to trying this with some nic salts based on the feedback I've seen here for the minifit.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I'm going to start playing with the Minifit this weekend. Planning on carrying it on a 10 day vacation instead of my usual DL setups if a week trial goes well.

I've already ordered some NR-R-NR 1.5ohm wire from Fasttech so I can rebuild the pods. Really looking forward to trying this with some nic salts based on the feedback I've seen here for the minifit.
I used the NR-R-NR 1.8 Ohm wire from Fasttech and it worked great. I have some of the 1.5 Ohm wire on the way. I’m used to rebuilding......been doing it on RBAs for years. This is a pretty tiny little platform, and it took me a couple of wasted efforts to get it down, but it’s pretty simple. And even though the pods are cheap, re-fillable, and last a long time, I still find myself compelled to find a way to make vaping virtually free.... LOL. I make my own juice, so if I can get a couple of months or more out of one $2 pod by rebuilding it, I’m in. :lol:

I’m actually testing these out for my daughter who has (after years of watching me vape and showing very little interest) finally said she’s maybe ready to try vaping. All I keep thinking about is how much better these little pod systems are than the little 90mAh Joyetech 510 kits I started with back in 2010....

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I used the NR-R-NR 1.8 Ohm wire from Fasttech and it worked great. I have some of the 1.5 Ohm wire on the way. I’m used to rebuilding......been doing it on RBAs for years. This is a pretty tiny little platform, and it took me a couple of wasted efforts to get it down, but it’s pretty simple. And even though the pods are cheap, re-fillable, and last a long time, I still find myself compelled to find a way to make vaping virtually free.... LOL. I make my own juice, so if I can get a couple of months or more out of one $2 pod by rebuilding it, I’m in. :lol:

I’m actually testing these out for my daughter who has (after years of watching me vape and showing very little interest) finally said she’s maybe ready to try vaping. All I keep thinking about is how much better these little pod systems are than the little 90mAh Joyetech 510 kits I started with back in 2010....
Yeah, my 1.5ohm wire probably won't be here for a while, but I'll just save my used pods until it arrives.

I used to rebuild the Kanger EVOD heads for years with 32g wire. From watching the online videos, this looks pretty similar. Figure Ill get the knack for it pretty quickly. Same as you, if I can do it for cheaper, I don't mind a little work. ;)

I also DIY for my juice, but pretty much vape unflavored, so factory coils last me a very long time anyways compared to most folks. I'm going to try high nic salts in this, interested to see how that will work as an ADV compared to my 3mg freebase I DL all day. Willing to bet that I probably won't need more than 2ml of 30mg juice/day.

The minifit looks like a great little system though. Got a few friends wanting to quit smoking. One of them, I've got on a DL tank, starting to wonder if I should point the other the way of the minifit to get her off the ciggies at least. Going to see how my first week with it goes. If it goes well for me replacing my squonk/RDA with 3mg freebase, and she doesn't have a preference between a pod or DL tank, I may steer her the way of the minifit.

Sorry, kind of getting off topic for this thread, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread