Inhaling PG - perhaps not the great unknown after all

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEmperorOfIceCream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2008
London, UK
I was posting in another thread where margouillat mentioned that there is PG in real cigarettes. I had a look around and it turns out that both PG and VG are used in cigarettes, which means most of us have spent years inhaling it already.

Found a couple of links worth looking at:

Toxicologic evaluation of humectants added to cigarette tobacco: 13-Week smoke inhalation study of glycerin and propylene glycol in Fischer 344 rats

What's In a Cigarette, 599 Ingredients in a Cigarette

Think I might strike PG inhalation off the list of things to worry about with e-smoking (or at least move it alongside nicotine, ie not a good thing to inhale at all, but better this way than by setting it on fire). All that's left now is 'what's in the juice?' and at least we can elect to use suppliers like Mac who lab test their product.

Thoughts?

Emp

Last edited:

DeviLFisH

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2008
:( that why is kinda true

as I mention before , my frd who work in china

he remb saw a news mention e cig , when first appear selling commerical in china back than

and the "people" claim is equal harmful than real cig .

maybe , is more healthy to smoke , but "this people" spread the news just to prevent it was selling like hot cake in china?cos they might lose revenue on real cig?

personally I don;t feel any difference yet on my body after using for nearly one mth

just that nowadays I feel more restless hehe
maybe is too easy to sit on e cig .
no need to go out take smoking break.

but what I dislike is excuessive PG will casue lactic acid in body thus feel weak.

maybe is true?maybe is physology here for me?after I smoking real cig I feel more alert here.but that is occasially .

e cig do help me cut down on real cig.nowdays I at most smoke 10stick of real cig .last time use to smoke near 20 sticks

let see how it go in future .;)
but rite now I plan to D I Y eliquid soon .
again have to use PG here

by the way is it two different stuffs?
glycerin and propylene glycol ?

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Nice find, Emp. The last article on that page is an incredible piece that every smoker should read.

I've written elsewhere on this forum that propylene glycol is used in the pipe tobacco I puff daily. It's simply a humectant, keeping the tobacco at the proper moisture level. It's also used in keeping cigars fresh.

After spending days with the research on propylene glycol, my fears are allayed. All of them. The fact that PG was tested on simians did it for me. Rat studies aren't enough. Testing with monkeys is needed. And it was done! As for humans ... we are the long-term tests. But since the monkeys did fine, there is every indication we should be fine, as well.

igglepiggle

Moved On
Aug 19, 2008
Nice find, Emp. The last article on that page is an incredible piece that every smoker should read.

I've written elsewhere on this forum that propylene glycol is used in the pipe tobacco I puff daily. It's simply a humectant, keeping the tobacco at the proper moisture level. It's also used in keeping cigars fresh.

After spending days with the research on propylene glycol, my fears are allayed. All of them. The fact that PG was tested on simians did it for me. Rat studies aren't enough. Testing with monkeys is needed. And it was done! As for humans ... we are the long-term tests. But since the monkeys did fine, there is every indication we should be fine, as well.

How dare you condone the testing of such a product on monkeys. If you are stupid enough to inhale crap into your lungs then you be the ...... monkey. You are a disgrace.

I just see an interview with the professor Molimard, Honorary Professor of Physiology and coordinator of IUDs Tabacologie the Faculty of Medicine Paris-Sud.
Founder of the French first learned society on tobacco and smoking, inventor of the word smoking.
Author of "The Smoke" and "Little manual Défume" (Editions Sides).
He claims that the 4000 components, only about 10 are dangerous and in particular the nitrosamine, which is carcinogenic and CO2
Moreover, he asserts that the addiction to nicotine does not exist and that the SNUS perhaps a paliatif interesting, but unfortunately banned from sale in the EU except in Sweden
But the interview is a french!

Last edited:
should realy move any snus related questions to the "Other Alternatives to Smoking" section but yes I quit smoking cigs all together when I switched to snus exept the odd cigar now and then. if you have any more suns questions aks away in the other section and I will be glad to answer any questions,

as for PG from what I have read in medical reports it has been used for fixed dose inhaleors, used in nebulisers as a stabaliser and propellant for some types of lung administerd drugs and it's been used as a plecebo on some kids that have mentaly induced asthma with no serious side afects apart from the odd person that shows an alergy.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
How dare you condone the testing of such a product on monkeys. If you are stupid enough to inhale crap into your lungs then you be the ...... monkey. You are a disgrace.

animals are animals- give it a rest- Animal testign has saved billions of lives of humans- a MUCH more valuable species than simple animals- Cripes- cry me a river!@ intentional meaningless animal abuse is one hting- animal testign to save the lives of a much more valuable higher form of creation is quite another. your comment shows that you know absolutely nothign abotu addiction or psychology, and therefore you are unqualified to comment one way or the other as to whether or not we are smart or otherwise-

Last edited:

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
since i can't eddit my post to igglepiggly- I'll repost my update noodlings abotu hte situation here:

animals are animals- give it a rest- Animal testign has saved billions of lives of humans- a MUCH more valuable species than simple animals- Cripes- cry me a river!@ intentional meaningless animal abuse is one hting- animal testign to save the lives of a much more valuable higher form of creation is quite another. your comment shows that you know absolutely nothign abotu addiction or psychology, and therefore you are unqualified to comment one way or the other as to whether or not we are smart or otherwise- noone is advocating testign animals for no purpose, but rather to help addicts wean themselves off a dangerous drug that htey have UNFORTUNATELY becoem addicted to- it appears that you would rather billions of people die from the harmful effects of cigarettes simply because you htink they are 'stupid', than to allow testign that could save billions of lives- and just for hte record PG testign on animals has been BENIFICIAL to them- just as the researchers suspected it woudl be before they even concidered startign hte testing- Take you extremist bleedign heart opinions elsewhere- We aint interested!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread