The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Injunction: Michigan Vape Ban Update

Discussion in 'Legislation News' started by Astron, Oct 15, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Astron

Astron Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 24, 2014
    Washington
    7CC4605E-15F3-46EC-8015-59CA6EBC08FA.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  2. Astron

Apr 24, 2014
    Washington
    B860D6F0-2876-45B9-B129-B8CD4383961F.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 5
  3. ruet

ruet Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    GR, MI
    Yeah, boi!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Perhaps some charges need to filed against this (Gretchen) abuser of power and others located in domestic "outposts of tyranny".

Long live the Bill of Rights!

Cheers
    I

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  5. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    1. It’s a temporary injunction. It only delays enforcement of a law for the duration of the court case. It does buy time though and critically should allow MI shops to stay alive and selling stuff for the Christmas season.

2. that’s a lot of completely unsupported and very judgey claims about whoever this Gretchen person is (which is not defined)

3. This allusion to “the bill of rights” as if there even is a single actual thing named that which applies in this situation is just plain out there and weird. What are you even talking about?

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. SteamStack

SteamStack Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2014
    Macomb, MI, USA
    Smacked down! Come back with a better argument with some facts!

I just cant believe that Trump seemed to agree with it.. or atleast felt something had to be done with the flavors.

7. Astron

Apr 24, 2014
    Washington
    Gretchen Whitmer is the Governor of Michigan

• Like Like x 1
  8. Astron

Apr 24, 2014
    Washington
    IMO Trump does not have an opinion on vaping or flavors pertaining to vaping. State legislators, however, DO. It affects them in some way, as sway with (some) voters and the MSA. It’s “virtue signaling” in a pure form and as a CYA for them to use to keep that sweet tax money flowing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I can. My personal views on the motivations national public figures don’t matter much though. Things happen or they don’t.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    He did make a statement that implied he was intending some sort of federal level action. I forget the details. He makes a lot of such statements in various directions though and a lot of them seem to be in direct conflict with each other.

I personally have stopped listening to things he says and only pay attention to things he does.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Bomby,
    I would have though the use of the term "tyranny" would have been enough to make the connection.

Preventing governmental overreach is the "raison d'être" of the first ten amendments.

Cheers
    I

• Like Like x 1
  12. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    it’s such a common political dogwhistle term it’s very hard to tell how one particular person is using it or what they mean by it other than “this is something I want you to think is bad!”
    List of amendments to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia

I don’t know why what was done was done. The first ten amendments all do seem to be of a piece though as they were all proposed and ratified at exactly the same times back in 1791. I don’t pretend to have any knowledge of the motivations of people over 200 years ago.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    You could read some of the other documents from that time, such as the Federalist and Anti-Federalist writings in which they explained their motivations quite clearly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.