Innokin iSub RBA Kit!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
Yeah it kinda surprised me too but when I tried using the jig that came with the kit to hold my 3 mm coil it wouldn't fit. I then looked at the prebuilt ones that came with it and sure enough they did fit. I am not entirely sure its 4 mm ( i thought my jig was 3.5 but its actually 3)because I don't have a jig or drill bit to check it but its at least 3.5 mm.Maybe you or someone else can confirm that for us?

Last edited:
Reactions: hittman

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
I am using 28g but I am a noob.I like more wraps and lower wattages<20. I do like the .5 ohm coils that it came with.The prebuilt coils seem to be 24 or 26 gauge.My biggest gripe with this thing is you can't mount it to your mod or ohm meter while building it.Not sure about Kayfuns as I don't own one but this is a very small rba.Smaller then my subtank mini; but seems to have enough room for a fairly large coil. The wick holes are at least 3.5mm and not completely round and I have had some problems wicking it with smaller diameter coils(I like using 3mm).I really would not have purchased this tank on its own because I absolutely love my Subtank mini but it came with my new Coolfire4 plus which I LOVE!!! I would have got the Apex as the air holes are on top but from the ammount of leaking problems I have had I think seeing the problem sooner is better then tilting it too far one day and have a ton of collected juice pour out.lol:danger: Plus the condensation that builds up on the "windows" would aggravate my OCD.

Last edited:

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
That looks easy too. So much better than what I've seen from another well known tank manufacturer. Anyone seeing discount codes?
Smokecityca has a new years discount of 10% off.Code NY16 I like this site as they seem to be the first one to get things and so far customer service and shipping times seem great.Plus free shipping regardless of how much you spend.

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
@louiesquared Well that is actually another problem with me stuffing extra wick in there to plug up the large holes. It wasn't a problem with the prebuilt coil because the wick just gets cut even with the openings. I will be trying my 3 mm coil with the extra wick soon and will post the results.☺
At least I know it works and the worst that could happen is I would need to build larger coils.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle

Stegle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Portland,Oregon
I just got 2 of these. They are tiny to work with, but I have big fingers. I'm not quite sure what to think yet about wicking them properly. The first 3 attempts have leaked horribly for me.
i then ran across the first youtube video released yesterday and that helped a lot. I was leaving too much wick exposed outside the chimney, you need to light stuff it in so it's flush.
But, I did one last night and it worked perfectly until just an hour ago and started leaking just a bit.
I think I'll get it down proper in time but it is going to be a finicky bugger for a while I'm sure.

They are 3.5mm by the way!

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
Thanks Stegle. I think the problem is pushing them in past the oring. I think it's actually squishing the wick a little bit and moving it away from one side of the hole. It's hard to tell of course cause you can't see the darn thing.I will check out the video. I have one built where I cut the wick longer and stuffed it in there just haven't tried it yet.

Stegle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Portland,Oregon
If you leave too much wick to stuff back in it won't wick right. I did my 2nd one exactly as he does in the video and it hasn't leaked yet.
He shows fluffing it a little after he cuts it, then gets it juiced up, and then stuffs it in. That's what I did making sure I didn't push any wick in too far and create a hole for juice to flow in around the wick. So far so good, his video is so clear and it's better than my eyes can see holding it right in front of me...lol. That spit cap is kind of finicky getting threaded sometimes, I think because of it not being a solid thread all the way around. If I was twenty years younger I'd probably not have much trouble seeing exactly what I'm doing on this tiny rba. Good luck to all who get one, with patience it's not a bad performer when it's right!

Reactions: Uncle

Stegle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Portland,Oregon
Vinny, I'm not understanding what you mean, 'pushing them in past the oring'?
Can you clarify as I'm curious. Maybe I'm too tired right now too...appreciate it, maybe you have something there but I'm not visualizing it.

Thanks Stegle. I think the problem is pushing them in past the oring. I think it's actually squishing the wick a little bit and moving it away from one side of the hole. It's hard to tell of course cause you can't see the darn thing.I will check out the video. I have one built where I cut the wick longer and stuffed it in there just haven't tried it yet.

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
Let me try to explain. The seal that the wick must pass is kinda like a windshield wiper running over the glass. I think as the wick gets pushed passed it is grabbing the wick a little bit and moving it. That is a great video but if you look closely he does have some wick sticking out. I haven't had any problems rewicking the stock atty so I think the problem is with the shape of the hole and using a smaller diameter coil giving a smaller size wick. It has definitely been finicky that's for sure. I did have some wick sticking out of the stock atty but it is in the hole very tight and had no leaking. I always like to leave a little extra wick because ime so far when you begin to use the thing and create that vacuum it has a tendency to draw the wick inside the atomizer a bit. I will try my 3 mm coil one more time but if it leaks or restricts the airflow I will stick with the 3.5 . I will keep updating here I hope others will do the same.☺

Last edited:

Stegle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Portland,Oregon
Ok, now I get you. I was thinking "what oring is up by the wick"?
I think you are correct in the assumption that the wick may be getting pulled away when you insert the head into position, and or/ when you take the first few pulls it may be collapsing into the chimney. Both of these issues would definitely create a leak path.
So the trick with this rba is getting a nice snug wick into the coil and closing it off at the chimney walls without leaving any exposed out of the sides.
Yes I think they need to redesign that side opening so it's a solid piece of metal all the way around the chimney. That way the cross threading of the spit top is somewhat eliminated. It is very easy for that top to want to thread on at a slight tilt because of it being an incomplete circle with the threads.

So far I've successfully wicked one of my two with no leaking whatsoever. I've made three attempts on the other and each time it has leaked less and less, but still does leak.
Innokin emailed me saying they researched the leaking issue throughout development and feel that if built properly I should have no leaking issue. Then it hinted at maybe trying a higher VG content in my juice. Well I say to that: I've used the same ratio on my subtank mini's, and rewicked their stock iSub heads and never had a leak.

It is just a bit finicky of a design but once you get that down I agree there should be no leaking. My juice happens to be 70/30 PG-VG

I look forward to more comments or tips on these rba's.

Let me try to explain. The seal that the wick must pass is kinda like a windshield wiper running over the glass. I think as the wick gets pushed passed it is grabbing the wick a little bit and moving it. That is a great video but if you look closely he does have some wick sticking out. I haven't had any problems rewicking the stock atty so I think the problem is with the shape of the hole and using a smaller diameter coil giving a smaller size wick. It has definitely been finicky that's for sure. I did have some wick sticking out of the stock atty but it is in the hole very tight and had no leaking. I always like to leave a little extra wick because ime so far when you begin to use the thing and create that vacuum it has a tendency to draw the wick inside the atomizer a bit. I will try my 3 mm coil one more time but if it leaks or restricts the airflow I will stick with the 3.5 . I will keep updating here I hope others will do the same.☺

Stegle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Portland,Oregon
@Vinnybagodoughnuts

How is the airflow compared to the stock horizontal coils? It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks pretty restricted in there.

Louie, the airflow is the same as their stock coils.
As long as you don't over stuff the inside with cotton, which I did to try to avoid leaks. That cut off way too much air.

You have to get the wicking perfect with these heads, and once you do I think it's a nice little rba.
I think many will be turned off by just how fiddly this is though. I like it but I'd like it to be less of a chore to get it working properly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread