hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I’m happy to be here today in order to present another review for Innokin. I’ve always associated Innokin with quality made products and today I’m here to talk about yet another one that was sent to me for this review. I was actually sent two of the Kroma 217 kits that come with the new Z-Force tank. Many people have been asking for Innokin to make a mod that uses 21700 batteries and that is what they have done. The Kroma 217 can also use 20700 and 18650 batteries as well with the included battery adapter. It also has features like we’ve seen in past Innokin devices like Coil+ and Refresh. The new Z-Force tank has some really good features that I’ll talk about more later and uses the new DuoPrime ZF coils. It’s been a while since I’ve seen a new coil from Innokin so was very excited to give them a good test.

qwCNsgs.jpg

kVQ6xb2.jpg

WHAT’S IN THE BOX?

Innokin Kroma 217 Z Force Kit Contents:

• 1x Innokin Kroma 217 Mod (Battery not included)
    • 1x Z Force Tank (ZF 0.2Ω KAL Coil installed)
    • 1x Spare ZF 0.3Ω DTL Coil
    • 1x Spare Clear Bubble Tube (5ml)
    • 1x Spare ZF O-Rings Set
    • 1x Type-C charging cable
    • 1x Quick Start Guide

upload_2021-12-29_9-52-23.png

Innokin Kroma 217 Z Force Kit Specifications:

• Device Dimensions: 132*45*30mm
    • Color: Glass Fiber, Carbon Fiber, Mariana Blue, River Wood, Stealth Black
    • Tank Capacity: 5ml
    • Resistance: 0.3ohm 30-45W; 0.2ohm 50-80W
    • Glass replaceable: Yes
    • Airflow: Adjustable
    • Tank Fill: Slide Top Fill
    • Internal / External Battery: External 21700/20700 Battery or 18650 Battery (with adapter)
    • Minimum / Maximum Wattage: 6.0W-80W (18650 Battery with Adapter); 6.0W-100W (21700/20700 Battery)
    • Minimum / Maximum Voltage: 1.0V-7.5V
    • Tank Compatible: 510 Thread Tank
    • Drip Tip: 810 Drip Tip
    • Max. Output current: 18650 Battery: 28.5A; 21700 Battery: 32A
    • Body Material: Zinc-alloy
    • Charging: 5V/1.7A USB-C Charging

Innokin Kroma 217 Z Force Kit Features:

• Curved Ergonomic Design, Crafted with Premium Zinc alloy
    • Powered By A Single 21700/20700/18650 Battery (Not Included)
    • 6-100W Output, Ideal for DL and RDL vaping
    • Adopt the Coil+ and Refresh Modes
    • USB-C Fast Charging
    • New Performance Platform Z Force Tank
    • Designed for DL or RDL
    • Leak-proof Design
    • 5ml Capacity with Slide Top Filling
    • ZF coils with DuoPrime wicking

6mkbIf2.jpg

UtdsTpT.jpg

fW6zeaj.jpg

PyhIN5C.jpg

FVTDksN.jpg

oPPzBRl.jpg

d0V0bKa.jpg

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

I received the carbon fiber and river wood versions for review samples. The packaging for the Kroma 217 kits is what I have become used to seeing from them. It is simple but nice and everything is packaged in recyclable material. On the front of the brown cardboard packaging is a color picture of the device contained inside and on the back of the package is a list of the contents of the kit along with an authenticity code.

upload_2021-12-29_10-0-41.png

Once the packages were opened, I was truly impressed by how sharp looking the Kroma 217 mods were. I was really impressed with the carbon fiber model which has a gunmetal colored frame. I just thought to myself “wow that’s a nice looking mod”. I feel like my pictures just don’t do them justice.

On one side of the high grade zinc alloy frame is the Kroma 217 name stamped into the frame and on the opposite side is the Innokin name also stamped into the frame. The gunmetal version has a carbon fiber backing that is slightly padded while the river wood version has a leather like backing that is very slightly padded. Both mods are very sharp and very comfortable and ergonomic to hold and use.

upload_2021-12-29_10-1-22.png

upload_2021-12-29_10-1-39.png

upload_2021-12-29_10-2-1.png

The Kroma 217 can use a 21700, 20700, or 18650 battery with the very nice included battery adapter. The battery is loaded from the bottom of the mod through the slide and flip open battery door. The hinge on the battery door seemed very solid and was easy to open and close. There are four slots in the bottom of the battery door that I believe are for battery venting.

upload_2021-12-29_10-2-38.png

upload_2021-12-29_10-2-56.png

upload_2021-12-29_10-3-13.png

The front of the Kroma 217 reminds me quite a bit of the Kroma R mod as far as using a fire bar with the screen embedded in it. When you receive it there is a sticker on the front of the mode that says to click the fire bar three times to turn the mod on. Below the screen are the plus and minus buttons with the USB-C charging port near the bottom. The display shows the following information.

- Lock/unlock symbol

- Battery indicator

- Set wattage

- Length of time of current puff

- Coil resistance

- Puff counter

- Output voltage while firing the mod

- If in standard Power mode then there will also be an N (normal), S (soft), or H (high) displayed.

If you are familiar with the Sensis or the Z80 then the button operation of the Kroma 217 will seem familiar to you. The Kroma 217 doesn’t have F(0) mode like those two but it does have Coil+ and Refresh which are two of my favorite functions. Coil + is like regular wattage mode but sends a pulse of current through the coil at the end of every puff to extend the life of the coil. Refresh is a separate function that the user can activate that pulses the coil at 40% of the set wattage. It draws liquid into the coil and tries to keep residue from building up on the coil. I tend to think of it as a coil cleaner.

The button/menu operation of the Kroma 217 is as follows.

- Press the fire bar three times to turn the device on/off

- Press the fire bar and + button to clear the puff counter

- Press the fire bar and – button to lock the adjustment buttons which is just indicated but the small lock symbol in the top left hand corner. If you press either adjustment button when locked, there is no message on the screen like I am used to seeing that tells you that the device is locked.

- Press the + and – buttons to enter the menu which has the following options

1. Coil +

2. Power( Wattage or Voltage)

3. Refresh

4. Settings( Time out, Cut off, Device-ID, Reset, Exit)

upload_2021-12-29_10-4-5.png

The tank that comes with the Kroma 217 is the new Z-Force tank and uses a new series of coils. The new Duo-Prime ZF coils that were included are .2 ohm (50-80w) and .3 ohm (30-45w). They have a really interesting design where there are two mesh coils inside each coil. There is an inner and an outer mesh coil. Innokin did a much better job of explaining it than I probably would so here is what their explanation. “ The outer coil increases the capillary action of the cotton wicking material, pulling liquid into the coil head, pre-heating it, and directing it to the inner coil for vaporization, creating a more fully saturated and flavorful vape.”

The tanks come with a nicer drip tip which is a nice change from the usual black tip that comes with most tanks. The 510 connection on the bottom of the tank of course has a gold plated center pin. To open the tank for filling you simply push on the top cap to slide it open and expose the fill port with a gasket seal on it. I’m seeing this gasket on more and more tanks and have mixed emotions on it. I sometimes use a glass dropper bottle and it’s almost impossible to fill with a glass dropper without making a mess. On the other hand, when filling with a standard plastic bottle then there is no mess and if you tilt the tank then no liquid will spill. You’ll have to decide for yourself whether you like the gasket or not.

The Z-Force tank has a nice feature that you can hopefully see in the pictures below. The coils are simply a push in style but the tank has a spring loaded mechanism inside where the liquid is sealed off when the coil is removed and is only able to wick the coil once the coil is inserted thus making coil changes mess free. Nicely done Innokin. The airflow openings on this tank are very different from anything I’ve seen before. There are two openings that are kind of a tear drop shape which make it easy for the user to make small adjustments at a time to hopefully find their perfect airflow.

upload_2021-12-29_10-4-54.png

tKxSeie.jpg

6rg4c9j.jpg

drw2h3U.jpg

44be4TX.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS:

It has been a real pleasure testing the new Innokin Kroma 217 kit with Z-Force tank. From the nice size and comfortable ergonomics of the design of the mod to the new ZF coils that are quite flavorful, I have thoroughly enjoyed using both of the samples that were sent to me. I greatly appreciate Innokin sending the two extra boxes of coils so that I can continue to enjoy these tanks.

To me the Kroma 217 mod just screams quality. I honestly didn’t know if I would like the mod due to it using a fire bar instead of a button. I have to be honest that I didn’t really care for it on the Kroma R mods that I had purchased and ended up selling them. I always felt like the fire bar on them was too hard to press. However, the bar on the 217 seems to take just the right amount of pressure. I do think that the adjustment buttons are a little small in my opinion but they have a nice clicky feel to them and do work well.

I also like that Innokin went with the hinged battery door instead of a threaded cap for loading the battery. I immediately went with a 21700 battery since to me it is one of the main selling points of the 217 but did think that the 18650 battery adapter included was rather nice compared to some I’ve seen.

I am very glad that Innokin included the Coil+ and Refresh functions. In my opinion both are very useful for extending coil life. It doesn’t bother me at all that the F(0) function was left off of this mod. It is a neat function but honestly not necessary.

I’d like to thank Innokin and Anna for sending the Kroma 217 kit with Z-Force tank for this review and a big thanks to the readers. You make this possible. Below is a link to the Innokin site if you would like to take a look.

Kroma 217 - Vape Kit | INNOKIN®

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Great review. I have been eyeing this one closely.
    Maybe a dumb question but would either Coil+ or Refresh be useful if I only use mesh, clapton mesh or single coils in my rebuildables?
    Not a fan of premade drop ins.

This just my opinion but I think the refresh should be able to help with most coils as long as the wicking is good. The innokin coils are double mesh coils.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Great review, I can't wait for mine to turn up!

Regarding the coils - I know it's hard with the slightly higher wattage, but how does the 0.3ohm compare to the z-coil 0.3ohm?

It has more airflow and runs pretty good in the low to mid 30’s. I used to run the z coil in the 20’s. I’ve been running the new one at 34 watts with about half of one airflow hole open and it’s a cool vape.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Another nice review Hitt. I'm the same as Fran....I'd use the mod but not the tank.....

Thanks. I thought you liked rdl? You could do it with the .3 but can understand not wanting to start buying new coils. I wish companies would start offering two kits. One with a drop in coil tank and one with an rta.

• Useful
    Reactions: Innokin_timmy

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    I didn’t notice a big difference but didn’t run the same recipe in both. One had LMN# and the other was the Meuller one shot. Both seemed good to me.
    Okay, I might have just run into a rogue coil then. My 0.2 Ohm coil took like 2 tanks of juice to start producing better flavor. Maybe it was just me adjusting to the different flavor output than Freemax's coils.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Okay, I might have just run into a rogue coil then. My 0.2 Ohm coil took like 2 tanks of juice to start producing better flavor. Maybe it was just me adjusting to the different flavor output than Freemax's coils.

Could be. The innokin coils are good but not near as good as Freemax coils. Freemax always has top notch flavor. I ran the LMN# in the .2 coil and it was good but not like in the Freemax. I use that mix a lot for reviews so I can tell the difference easily.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Could be. The innokin coils are good but not near as good as Freemax coils. Freemax always has top notch flavor. I ran the LMN# in the .2 coil and it was good but not like in the Freemax. I use that mix a lot for reviews so I can tell the difference easily.
    For them being newer at DL coils, I gave them a break. Freemax to me has DL coils on lockdown for flavor production. Have you tried the new Sakerz coils? I've heard great things about them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread