Innokin Zenith MTL tank--Phil Busardo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Hey Phil....how come my Zenith drains every time the barometric pressure drops? It's really becoming annoying.

I'm a huge fan of the Zenith, but I am done with cleaning out my 510 pin every time the weather changes.
Done!!

Today a low pressure system moved in and my tanks were empty at sundown. Top closed correctly, stored vertical, kept same temp all day in shade, etc etc.

If they'd leak for the sake of crappy design I'd be ok with it. Well, maybe not. But point is they leak at random times for no apparent reason. I clean up, get the air chamber dry and all is well for a day or two and outta nowhere they leak again.

The Zeniths are going in my "retired box"...
All 5 of them.
Not doubting your own experience here but barometric pressure drops happen all over the world. If it were the case a barometric drop wouldnt just be affecting your zenith tanks, there would be a lot of people, everyone that owns a zenith, chiming in with sudden leaks.

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
Only thing I've noticed fairly recently that I don't like about the Zenith is sometimes if I'm going too hard on it (chain vaping dark high VG liquids on a relatively high wattage for a MTL isn't really what the tank is designed for) is that I get something like a salty aftertaste. Not a burnt coil taste, it's still vapeable. Anyone else had this? I think it's probably because I'm making the tank too hot and it's caramelising the juice but not sure

Reactions: stols001

Newmikey

Feb 26, 2018
So I'm finally ready with my verdict on my Zenith tanks with my liquids and my way of vaping - which goes a long way to say to say YMMV and this is probably absolutely untrue for anyone else.

I vape 70%VG Tiki Punch (pineapple/minty stuff) from Surf Sauce and I have an EZ.Watt with a Prism tank to compare flavor against. When the "normal" Zenith came out, I ended up using the 0.8 coils and was very happy with them. Then came the Coolfire Mini kit with the 22mm Zenith and Plexus coils. (Absolutely in love with the Coolfire Mini/Zenith 22 combo by the way)

Whether it's the 70% VG or my way of vaping (always at the lower end of the recommended wattage for the coil and fully open airflow), the Plexus-Z coils develop a slightly "burned" taste - not really dry-burn burned but like a little twang on the regular flavor - after only 2 or 3 tankfulls. The taste of the Prism tank remains better over time then the Plexus-Z with the same liquid and similar wattage.

I've gone through a pack of 5 Plexus-Z coils in 2 weeks and I'm calling it for the regular 0.8 Zenith coils at this stage. I'm assuming a lower VG might help a lot but my favorite flavor only comes in 70%. My theory is that the Plexus-Z doesn't wick as well as the the 0.8 kanthal coils or it needs more wicking than what the wickholes can supply due to the structure of the coil and the lower resistance. It's just a bit more thirsty and that's when wicking speed (or lack thereof) starts working against you.

As I stated, this is by no means an attack on the Plexus-Z coils but merely my own experience. Having said all that, the Zenith22 is still a pretty awesome tank and I'm hard pressed to find anything wrong with it.

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I'm only getting just under a week with the .8 at 15w. Maybe cause I chain vape? How long are others getting ?

I get about 2-3 weeks and I chain vape but at low wattage. Taste does seem to be a bit off after 2 weeks. Probably gunky coil at that time.

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
    I'm only getting just under a week with the .8 at 15w. Maybe cause I chain vape? How long are others getting ?

What are you vaping because I'd say it could be your juice - the biggest variable in any discussion of coils! I've just been using a really thick dark sweet one with exact same set up as you and the coil was struggling. Switched to a higher PG liquid today and same coil seems fine with that, so probably got a few more days out of it at least. I use it pretty heavily, but I try to rest the kit for a bit when the tank gets hot. From my own experience I'd say that the Zenith is pretty good at handling high VG liquids considering it's supposedly designed for 50/50 juices, but the really dark and sweet ones can punish the coil (that goes for any set up)

• Agree

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
    I've gone through a pack of 5 Plexus-Z coils in 2 weeks and I'm calling it for the regular 0.8 Zenith coils at this stage. I'm assuming a lower VG might help a lot but my favorite flavor only comes in 70%.

This is my thing, most of the best juices (the ones I think are best anyway) are high VG. The 0.8 feels like it bridges the gap between an MTL tank using juice geared towards DTL setups. I have noticed local vape shops stocking more interesting 50/50 juices recently, maybe I'll get round to trying some of those in the Zenith at some point

wackygt

Nov 4, 2018
    So the 1st 0.8 coil I got 9 days out of with a 70 VG juice - and when I swapped it it wasn't that the coil was burnt it was just the air flow became alot more restricted.

Today I got my 1st lot of plexus z coils. The first one lasted half an hour before I got my 1st burnt taste. Ignored it and tried to persevere but after 15 minutes more I was done with it. I figured I hadn't done a good enough job priming it or it was a duff coil.

So I have put another in, properly primed it and have let the tank sit for half an hour. Have taken a few non powered hits and starting from 12 watts am slowly increasing. Taste seems slightly better than the normal coils, but i am getting the impression that this coil will destroy itself if I run it towards the top of the wattage range, even thought I always vape with air flow all the way open.

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
    So the 1st 0.8 coil I got 9 days out of with a 70 VG juice - and when I swapped it it wasn't that the coil was burnt it was just the air flow became alot more restricted.

Today I got my 1st lot of plexus z coils. The first one lasted half an hour before I got my 1st burnt taste. Ignored it and tried to persevere but after 15 minutes more I was done with it. I figured I hadn't done a good enough job priming it or it was a duff coil.

So I have put another in, properly primed it and have let the tank sit for half an hour. Have taken a few non powered hits and starting from 12 watts am slowly increasing. Taste seems slightly better than the normal coils, but i am getting the impression that this coil will destroy itself if I run it towards the top of the wattage range, even thought I always vape with air flow all the way open.

Yeah, probably have the same experience as me and almost everyone else that although the plexus gives good flavour they're delicate little things that die the moment you push them too hard. I use 0.8 ones almost exclusively now although I have some Plexus left over as back ups. I find with the 0.8 ones even if I'm punishing them a bit with high wattage it just makes the juice go sweet from caramelising rather than giving a nasty dying coil taste. I too have started using it with airflow wide open, I'm liking the loose draw on it

angie124

ECF Veteran
    Apr 26, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Can't decide which to get the kroma kit or the coolfire. I have a 22m Istick pico but it's old and needs replacing. The coolfire is 22m and I think the kroma comes with a larger tank ? I do like the pico battery. What size do most go for are 22m batteries still easy to get or are most bigger ?
    Any advice ?

wackygt

Nov 4, 2018
    Yeah, probably have the same experience as me and almost everyone else that although the plexus gives good flavour they're delicate little things that die the moment you push them too hard. I use 0.8 ones almost exclusively now although I have some Plexus left over as back ups. I find with the 0.8 ones even if I'm punishing them a bit with high wattage it just makes the juice go sweet from caramelising rather than giving a nasty dying coil taste. I too have started using it with airflow wide open, I'm liking the loose draw on it
    Yep second coil lasted less than 24 hours and that was with an over night soak. The plexus definitely works best at lower wattages but there is no way in hell that the batch I got can stand being used above 17w. I was using it at 16w when it went today. Oh well at least I know not to order them again!

United States

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    The EQ pod system uses a Plexus at 15.5 or 13.5 on low.

The 22mm (D22) Zenith is a bit taller than the 24/25 (not sure what to call it) version. I put it on a 23mm Rover X and it looked nice.
    Pretty close in capacity to the larger girth'd Zenith. The D22 ended up on a 25mm Sandstorm and a TPD version now resides on the Rover.
    The TPD by the way does not leak like the larger tanks I have. Coincidence? Got me but I'll take it.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 12, 2013
    The 'Burgh, PA.
    I have noticed local vape shops stocking more interesting 50/50 juices recently, maybe I'll get round to trying some of those in the Zenith at some point

When I switched from "MaxVG" ejuices to 50/50 ejuices from Buy E-Liquid and Ejuice on Sale - Cheap E Juice 120mL and 60mL and Vape Juice Wholesale | LNW ...I found a noticeable decrease in the "VG film" on my car/home windows...:thumbs:

(And...I was surprised that it was difficult to notice a real difference in the amount or density of the vape...)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread