Inputs for a newbie at building coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Hey all, hope everyone is having a great time vaping and love it as much as i do.

So I'm at that point in vaping where I'm intrigued by people building coils and using RDAs and RDTAs(also rba heads).

And i wanna get my hands dirty too.
So i have ordered kanthal a1 24 and 26gauge and ss316 wire and an rba head for my baby beast. After having watched countless videos and read countless articles on forums and websites it seems so easy almost too easy, i know it might be very difficult to do it myself and i might fail pretty hard when I'm actually doing it... So i just thought i should ask you guys if you guys have any tips or tricks for building. Or any last minute advice that you can think of.

Also i didn't order any kits of any sorts because i don't really feel the need to... I mean it's just screwdrivers cutters and tweezers in there mostly all of which can anyway be found in most of the households.
So do you guys think i should get one of those kits? Or am i good without them too?
Thanks for the inputs in advance guys.
Happy vaping. :)

Edit - If i should get a kit... Could you give some recommendations for a good and reasonably priced kit from fasttech?

Last edited:

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Hey all, hope everyone is having a great time vaping and love it as much as i do.

So I'm at that point in vaping where I'm intrigued by people building coils and using RDAs and RDTAs(also rba heads).

And i wanna get my hands dirty too.
So i have ordered kanthal a1 24 and 26gauge and an rba head for my baby beast. After having watched countless videos and read countless articles on forums and websites it seems so easy almost too easy, i know it might be very difficult to do it myself and i might fail pretty hard when I'm actually doing it... So i just thought i should ask you guys if you guys have any tips or tricks for building. Or any last minute advice that you can think of.

Also i didn't order any kits of any sorts because i don't really feel the need to... I mean it's just screwdrivers cutters and tweezers in there mostly all of which can anyway be found in most of the households.
So do you guys think i should get one of those kits? Or am i good without them too?
Thanks for the inputs in advance guys.
Happy vaping. :)

I'm with @Bonskibon - get yourself a dedicated ohmmeter. I also use drill bits, nail clippers, and tweezers most of the time. I have a mandrel that came with one of my tanks a LOOOOOOONG time ago that has 2.0/2.5/3.0/3.5mm diameters. That sees regular use

I try to keep the coil on whatever mandrel to help hold while I'm setting it on whatever deck I'm building. If you have actual screws that trap the leads, wrap the wire clockwise so when you tighten the screw, it will help trap the wire. IIRC, the Baby Beast RBA has a "velocity-style" deck where you catch the wires with grub screws. That's actually a bit easier (for me, at least) 24awg is pretty stiff stuff, but workable.

If you're building dual coils - make sure each single coil is the same resistance (should be same number of wraps and spacing - you'll be pretty spot-on between the two coils.)

Good Luck, and Have Fun!

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
I'm with @Bonskibon - get yourself a dedicated ohmmeter. I also use drill bits, nail clippers, and tweezers most of the time. I have a mandrel that came with one of my tanks a LOOOOOOONG time ago that has 2.0/2.5/3.0/3.5mm diameters. That sees regular use

I try to keep the coil on whatever mandrel to help hold while I'm setting it on whatever deck I'm building. If you have actual screws that trap the leads, wrap the wire clockwise so when you tighten the screw, it will help trap the wire. IIRC, the Baby Beast RBA has a "velocity-style" deck where you catch the wires with grub screws. That's actually a bit easier (for me, at least) 24awg is pretty stiff stuff, but workable.

If you're building dual coils - make sure each single coil is the same resistance (should be same number of wraps and spacing - you'll be pretty spot-on between the two coils.)

Good Luck, and Have Fun!
So the 26awg wire would be better to start with?
Or ss316?

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
So the 26awg wire would be better to start with?
Or ss316?
Start with kanthal first :)
Learn the ins and outs with it. Then move to ss. You may like one better than the other. I haven't tried ss yet lol, I've been vaping almost four years :)

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Start with kanthal first :)
Learn the ins and outs with it. Then move to ss. You may like one better than the other. I haven't tried ss yet lol, I've been vaping almost four years :)
Lol, do you not feel the urge to try new things? I'm so impatient that I'll probably start making twisted coils with a mix of kanthal and ss as soon as they're delivered :p

Will start with kanthal 26awg then. Thanks :)

Reactions: Kprthevapr

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I have found a pair of ceramic tweezers to be a great investment, as are a pair of pointed flat wire cutters. you can do without these but on tighter decks it is so much easier.

my lone recommendation would be to start out on an RDA. More room, easier to retry builds, less juice to fiddle with. But if you get the hang of an RBA first everything else is pretty simple.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread