Status
Not open for further replies.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Government cannot regulate whatever it wants out of existence no matter how hard they try. Social media is too mainstream now to reign it in imo. Instead of grandstanding let the politicians do the jobs they were voted in for and tell parents to police their own kids including their social media exposure.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Organic advertising, what we used to refer to as "word of mouth", is the better than any advertising that can be bought with money.

Now it looks like all entire nanny-state wants to punish juul for their success. What they never ask is: How many of the kids who use a juul sometimes would have taken up smoking instead if there were no such product?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Organic advertising, what we used to refer to as "word of mouth", is the better than any advertising that can be bought with money.

Now it looks like all entire nanny-state wants to punish juul for their success. What they never ask is: How many of the kids who use a Juul sometimes would have taken up smoking instead if there were no such product?
Depends on what you consider that success as. Me, I’m still in the “...... to school kids” camp. They created a really really addictive product that was easy to hide and produced a high. Stuff like that sells itself.
I’ve never liked the term “nanny state”. To me it’s an indicator that someone is about to say something false. It’s especially tone deaf in this particular instance because the USA is far less nannying than any other developed country in the world, and they’re having all the problems. Not merely most of them. All of them. The countries that limited nicotine levels on JUUL (and there were a bunch of them) didn’t have a problem where masses of kids vaping and all vaping one product.

It’s just not true.

This is not to say the approach the US regulation bodies is taking isn’t stupid. It is. It’s directed IMHO by monied organizations with a hate on for ecigs in general and who don’t care about the actual issue. The concept that the problem is a “nanny state” problem though is provably false, and just as wrongheaded.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The countries that limited nicotine levels on JUUL (and there were a bunch of them) didn’t have a problem where masses of kids vaping and all vaping one product.
Bah, the EU's TPD 2 directive that limited nicotine levels to 20 mg/ml in the 28 member countries was written well before Juul existed as a product, and Juul didn't enter those markets until after they were well established here in the US, in other words, quite recently.

My personal view is: I don't care if kids vape. If it keeps them from smoking, that's A Good Thing, just like it is for adults.

Oh, and someone who's never used nicotine can get a fine buzz from a single hit of 18 mg.

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Bah, the EU's TPD 2 directive that limited nicotine levels to 20 mg/ml in the 28 member countries was written well before Juul existed as a product, and Juul didn't enter those markets until after they were well established here in the US, in other words, quite recently.
A distinction without a difference. The laws were in place, and JUUL couldn’t break open the market
My personal view is: I don't care if kids vape. If it keeps them from smoking, that's A Good Thing, just like it is for adults.

Oh, and someone who's never used nicotine can get a fine buzz from a single hit of 18 mg.
True. So what do you think that 50mg does then?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
How many wish vaping was a thing when we were kids sneaking around? Not once have I read anyone mention they wouldn't have jumped on whatever the current band wagon was at the time. I simply can't get onboard with vilifying Juul or any other company for this reason. We would have found a way back in the day with or without advertising influences too.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
How many wish vaping was a thing when we were kids sneaking around? Not once have I read anyone mention they wouldn't have jumped on whatever the current band wagon was at the time. I simply can't get onboard with vilifying Juul or any other company for this reason. We would have found a way back in the day with or without advertising influences too.
True. The thing is though there were vapes around for many years and it wasn’t that big a deal. Then JUUL hit the scene and suddenly BAM! It’s too specific and too sudden.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
True. The thing is though there were vapes around for many years and it wasn’t that big a deal. Then JUUL hit the scene and suddenly BAM! It’s too specific and too sudden.
I disagree, the more exposure the better. Vaping is gaining ground but not fast enough to have a strong voice concerning legislation. The sin tax was always a given, not sure why people are upset by that part. The added taxes plus the sin tax is what I find unreasonable.

• Agree
Reactions: Rossum

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
"The study period only saw a handful of posts that came directly from the Juul company. Instead, the mix of posts was dominated by posts from consumers or from third party vendors using the Juul brand. Both consumers and third party vendors continue to post about Juul on Instagram today."

Yet the FDA rants and raves and foams at the mouth at a strawman villain of Juul's advertising supposedly controlling the users like puppets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread