Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Aha.
Top google hit is the sourcewatch reference ironically Council for Tobacco Research - SourceWatch

The top hit on wiki is not by that name but is instead “tobacco institute” Tobacco Institute - Wikipedia

Looks like there’s been a lot of corporate shuffleboard going on for many years. Many different groups with very similar names. If you google “center for..” instead of council for..” for instance you get a whole other crop.

Reactions: stols001

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Aha.
Top google hit is the sourcewatch reference ironically Council for Tobacco Research - SourceWatch

The top hit on wiki is not by that name but is instead “tobacco institute” Tobacco Institute - Wikipedia

Looks like there’s been a lot of corporate shuffleboard going on for many years. Many different groups with very similar names. If you google “center for..” instead of council for..” for instance you get a whole other crop.
The CTR link claims that "many of the CTR's research decisions were made by tobacco industry lawyers." This is misrepresentation of the circumstances, specifically, that the lawyers had complained that none of the CTR's research was of any conceivable use to themselves, so they resorted to doing some. Which confirms what I said about CTR members using it to fund their cronies and pet projects, and contradicts the lying media narrative that its sole purpose was to manufacture junk science that contradicts the anti-smoker claims. In fact, had they done so, there would have been nothing wrong about it. In science, there is always a right to present new or contrary evidence. But the anti-smoking ideologues and their lying media accomplices pretended otherwise.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
I do google news searches and read the latest scare stories. It's always seemed the same rhetoric came out in waves from one or a couple of coordinated sources. She connected the dots beautifully. As always, follow the money.

Gottlieb has said the FDA is science based. I'll believe it when I see it.
Remember, FDA Tobacco is not the same as the rest, and is solely accountable to POLITICIANS, namely the scum in Congress who persecute us.

• Agree

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The CTR link claims that "many of the CTR's research decisions were made by tobacco industry lawyers." This is misrepresentation of the circumstances, specifically, that the lawyers had complained that none of the CTR's research was of any conceivable use to themselves, so they resorted to doing some. Which confirms what I said about CTR members using it to fund their cronies and pet projects, and contradicts the lying media narrative that its sole purpose was to manufacture junk science that contradicts the anti-smoker claims. In fact, had they done so, there would have been nothing wrong about it. In science, there is always a right to present new or contrary evidence. But the anti-smoking ideologues and their lying media accomplices pretended otherwise.
I’d attempt to cut quote this but it’s just to big of a mess. I can’t even figure out how this even applies to my statement completely ignoring any other problems. There’s a definite aura of impacted confusion.
In general, Whenever someone prefixes an otherwise unrelated descriptor with an object I get suspicious. In this case repeated use of the phrase “lying media”. When? How? Where? You’re not even making an actual accusation, you’re attempting to either create or exploit a subconscious bias.
Also your concept of the way science works is, according to my understanding, desperately flawed. The entire concept of junk science being an inalienable right to attempt to deceive is particularly notable.
There also some basic logical fallacies here. It seems more like you’re defending the CTR rather than attacking it.
Or perhaps it’s a case of “even if you ignore this whole set of awful things there’s still these other awful things”
Perhaps it is an argument not actually meant for me and I am merely a convienient soap box to stand on.
Hard to know.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
I’d attempt to cut quote this but it’s just to big of a mess. I can’t even figure out how this even applies to my statement completely ignoring any other problems. There’s a definite aura of impacted confusion.
In general, Whenever someone prefixes an otherwise unrelated descriptor with an object I get suspicious. In this case repeated use of the phrase “lying media”. When? How? Where? You’re not even making an actual accusation, you’re attempting to either create or exploit a subconscious bias.
Also your concept of the way science works is, according to my understanding, desperately flawed. The entire concept of junk science being an inalienable right to attempt to deceive is particularly notable.
There also some basic logical fallacies here. It seems more like you’re defending the CTR rather than attacking it.
Or perhaps it’s a case of “even if you ignore this whole set of awful things there’s still these other awful things”
Perhaps it is an argument not actually meant for me and I am merely a convienient soap box to stand on.
Hard to know.
Sounds like you are defending the anti-smokers' mischaracterization of the CTR. That's the "lying media" to which I referred. And why shouldn't I refer to "lying media," or do you think they only lie about vaping? In fact, it started with their lies about everything related to smoking. And my point is simply that the CTR was not what they said it was. It's worth noting that some of the researchers concerned have since died, and were lauded by the media, who conveniently left out any mention of their involvement with the CTR.

And your own understanding of the way science is supposed to work is desperately flawed. "The entire concept of junk science being an inalienable right to attempt to deceive is particularly notable." What on earth are you babbling about? Practically all the junk science has been perpetrated by Tobacco Control, funded with our tax dollars. And the CTR did nothing to threaten their edifice, even though they could have.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Sounds like you are defending the anti-smokers' mischaracterization of the CTR. That's the "lying media" to which I referred. And why shouldn't I refer to "lying media," or do you think they only lie about vaping? In fact, it started with their lies about everything related to smoking. And my point is simply that the CTR was not what they said it was. It's worth noting that some of the researchers concerned have since died, and were lauded by the media, who conveniently left out any mention of their involvement with the CTR.

And your own understanding of the way science is supposed to work is desperately flawed. "The entire concept of junk science being an inalienable right to attempt to deceive is particularly notable." What on earth are you babbling about? Practically all the junk science has been perpetrated by Tobacco Control, funded with our tax dollars. And the CTR did nothing to threaten their edifice, even though they could have.
It’s not about “should” or “shouldn’t”. Part of the problem is the term “media”. What we all are doing right now on a fourm? This is media. You obviously mean something much more specific. The most common term I hear is “lying lamestream media” which refers to everything but the small set of fringe organizations that they like. The amount of actual quantifiable falsehood in those preferred groups is ironically generally higher than the group they are disparaging though no matter where you go it is unlikely to drop to zero.

The term has become associated with the right wing fringe lately but the behavior is equally common on both the right and left. As such when I hear the term “lying media” as differentiated from “this media organization lied in this instance” my BS meter goes off. No media group is 100% falsehood or 100% fact. Neither is really possible.

• Agree

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Back in those days, there was no internet. On TV, there were ABC, CBS, and NBC. The Associated Press and United Press International wire services dictated the content of all but a few East Coast papers (who were only a more prestigious version of the same). And they all lied about everything related to smoking, and they all do to this very day.
Those are the lying media, and you are obfuscating by dragging in recent bickering over other issues. Also, none of those media "associated with the right wing fringe" have said anything notably different on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread