Intro and ever open to suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
New to eCigs and to this board. I've been reading for a couple of days, trying to take in all the info I can. And there is a lot, lol. I am very grateful for it.

I ordered a Joye 510 starter kit yesterday and it shipped today. I should have ordered more to go with it I guess (like some liquid). I am also considering the KR808D-1 for a less fussy solution. I am at the computer a lot, and a USB pass-through also seems a sensible choice.

I have smoked for 42 years, 2 packs (filtered lights) a day. I have to say, I love smoking and always have. I think I would lose my mind if I had to quit. I am in a new living situation now in which I have to consider my non-smoking roommate. I do not want to have to go outside everytime I want a smoke, but she cannot tolerate smoke or its odor. And after having to clean the cigarette residue off my stuff when I moved it in, I'm not all that keen on smoking inside the house either.

I had seen a segment on eCigarettes on TV a while back and decided to look into it. It seems a fair solution to my problem. The learning curve seems daunting and I feel nervous about the switch, but I am hoping the gain will be worth it.

Considering my smoking history, any recommendations on the nicotine strength of the liquids I should be zeroing in on? I smoke a lot at the computer, where I spend much of my time, and not so much when I am doing other things.

Thanks for your consideration and for being here. :)

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The joye 510 kit should come with prefilled carts. If the carts are labeled High Marlb or have some wording on the plastic of that nature then the nicotine strength will likely be 18MG. Those are the carts my 510 kit came with. vape those to see what nicotine strength you will like. If you still feel like your not getting enough nicotine or you feel you still need an analog cigarette after you vape...then maybe you need a higher nicotine level. If you feel like you are getting too much nicotine then you can get lower nicotine level juice like the 11MG.

The carts will not last as long as some companies claim they do. I am one who likes to vape constantly. It's not like a cigarette that burns out and then you are done, that is why I use a low nicotine level. But I like medium nicotine juices every once in awhile.

Ast_Isis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Since you were a 2 pack a day smoker, you may find that you need 24mg or even 36mg liquid in the mornings or for that extra hit of nicotine. Then for most of the day switch to either 24mg or 18mg.

I figured this out and have not touched an analog since. ( 1 pack per day for 22 yrs so I use 24mg in the morning then 18mg during the day.)

As far as the nic level, If cost isn't that much of an issue, I would get a 14mg, 24mg and a 36mg.

Start with the lowest level and if that's not doing it for you, then you you can mix it with some of the higher level stuff. You can do this until you find your sweet spot.

I have leveled off at 24mg, but have some 36 for when I need the extra boost and some 14 for when I've had too much and want to drop down.

My only other recommendation is that you should keep plenty of hardware on hand also. I never want to be caught without atomizers or batteries. That would take me straight to the store for smokes and I don't want to go there.

Good luck.

Paul

telsie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2009
Maryland
Since you were a 2 pack a day smoker, you may find that you need 24mg or even 36mg liquid in the mornings or for that extra hit of nicotine. Then for most of the day switch to either 24mg or 18mg.

I figured this out and have not touched an analog since. ( 1 pack per day for 22 yrs so I use 24mg in the morning then 18mg during the day.)

I was a 2-pack/day smoker and I'm finding that a similar routine works well for me too: 24mg in the morning and after dinner and 18mg the rest of the time.

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
Ok, thank you very much. You confirmed my thinking on this. I have ordered some various strengths (and flavors) and something to cut them with (VG) for possible tweaking purposes. Also ordered the USB pass-through with them.

This is something I need to make work for me to maintain harmony in the household. So I will do what it takes.

:)

mzruzz

Sep 25, 2009
Virginia, USA
Dear vandal, I noted that you were a 42 year smoker. I am a 39 yr smoker. The e-cig is not the same as an analog! However due to your current situation you will not be "smoking" inside... well that is good. Do you want to quit smoking for yourself? Or is this because of your current living situation? In any case regardless of the answer, I think you have made the correct choice with the 510. It does most closely simulate the drag of an analog. The point is to try it and then "tweak it" with different mgs of nic as you go along. And "tweak" is totally appropriate!!!!!! Having said all that, you never stated what you wanted or needed from a personal vaporizer. If you really want to smoke you can step outside, and suppliment with the pv while inside. I have a friend who doesn't really want to quit, but her husband is fed up with the smell of smoke, etc in the house. Her story is a long one, but the bottom line is, she vapes a 510 while inside and when she really feels the need for an analog, she goes outside. She has admitted that the need for an analog has greatly reduced!

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
I have no real wish to quit the nicotine habit at this time. But I am all for a solution that would keep my house, my things, me, free of cigarette smell and residue, that would eliminate butts and ash trays and second-hand smoke. In short, I would be happy to be shed of all the disgusting (and most of the dangerous) aspects of smoking, but still get what I need from it. Not to mention, feeling like an exile and a pariah. So I seek this switch in part out of consideration for others, but also for myself.

If I should decide to quit the habit down the road, it would be strictly for me. And this seems a good system for that end as well.

Ha ha, it is so difficult for me to sit and write a well-thought out post since I cannot smoke while doing so. My concentration for any task is greatly diminished under this circumstance. I cannot play the video games I love, compose messages that satisfy me for the boards I post to, or anything of the other things I love to do. So quality of life, as I see it, is low for me in the situation as it stands. I spend half my time vegging in front of TV (a low trigger activity) and the other half sitting outside with a smoke, being glared at by passersby.

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
You hit it on the head with you assumptions. A KR808D-1 is a nice no mess solution that is one of the top models and taste great with a real nice vapor. You also mentioned a passthrough since you are at the PC a lot and that's a great thing to have. You will really enjoy the vaping at the constant 5v too, it's so different from the standard E-Cig.

Both the KR808D-1 and the 510 have passthroughs available for purchase. One place that sells both is Nhaler.com and coupon code "saveinnj" without the quotes gets 10% off. What I would recommend is that since your totally new to this and are not sure which one you will like better I would hold off until you have tried them both before I ordered a passthrough for one model or the other. If you order the 510 passthrough and find that you really like the KR808D-1 better you will have wasted your cash.

I have owned both models and I know which one I think is the better one but everyone has different taste. Either model is a good choice and most people end up with more than one model anyway so I wouldn't sweat that too much either.

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
Lest anyone think I'm just a bum, I am early retired and disabled due to an auto accident. While my time is my own, I am pretty much limited to activities one can do sitting down. The internet has been my primary social outlet for many years, so when I cannot fully participate, I feel pretty cut off.

I got my 501 kit Friday. Did all the deep charging of the batteries, blew out atomizers, etc. Once I actually got started with the eCig, I was pleasantly surprised, and excited to feel that this may well be a solution for me. I felt that way right off the bat.

My roommate has an unnaturally keen sense of smell. She can detect nothing as fas as odor. I did not smoke one analog until this morning- one when I first woke up. I think this will be an interesting journey.

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
Thank you for the well wishes.

I have had 2 tCigs (tobacco cigs) since I started on the eCigs yesterday (one when I woke up and one after dinner). Normally, I'd have 2 packs by now! One thing I have noticed, with tCigs, there is a beginning (light up), middle (puff for a while), and an end (crush out). There is no such begin/end with eCigs, and it has me feeling a bit disoriented. Also, I think I am way undersupplying myself with nicotine. One cart yesterday and one today, with no refilling or topping off (I have no liquid yet). I sort of have the heebie-jeebies right now, lol, but I am handling it.

It's good, knowing I can step outside and have a tCig if I need. If I did not have that safety net, I'd be panicked.

Anyone reading this have anything they do to mimic that begin/end cycle?

alvitae

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2009
Oregon Usa
"I was pleasantly surprised, and excited to feel that this may well be a solution for me. I felt that way right off the bat."

That is exactly the way I felt when I first got my kit. I'm kind of suprised at how many things you have said that I was thinking that is exactly what I though/think or felt :)

I think you will be just fine. Severel weeks into this I am finding there is a learning curve and the more you learn the better it gets. My first and second day I was in the same boat. I adjusted my nicotine level and have been fine since.

I slipped once and went to tobacco cigs for a day or two because I made the rookie mistake of relying on one or two atomizers and had to order more. After two or three weeks of vaping the tobacco taste actually made me naseous. Never thought i would say that being a die-hard (pun intended) smoker for 35 years.

I'm sure when your order comes in you will work out what juice and PV model works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread