Intro - Been vaping for about 6 years - need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiami

Jun 1, 2017
Hello, I have been vaping for about 6 years and it seems no matter what setup I use I cannot get the flavor I want. The liquid I use is great, and my husband uses the same setup and his is always very good. I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong or what I need to do? I have tried several different setups, and they all seem to be good at first, but the coils/atomizers burn out fast and the flavor is awful. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to list specifically what I’ve tried, but I’d really appreciate if someone can help me. I posted here before and I’m pretty sure my post was taken down because it somehow didn’t comply. If you think you can help me let me know if I’m allowed to tell the setups I’ve tried and maybe someone can help me figure out what to do. Thanks!

Okay I figured this is the easiest way to tell everyone without having to reply to each person.

I’m just going to paste what I posted in one reply!

So I tried (when I first started vaping and there weren’t a lot of choices) the Joyetech (I can’t remember what type, this was so long ago).. it was one of few that was available in the only vape shop at the time nearby. I used the little tops that had cotton in them and you’d add the liquid, they weren’t tanks. Then I started trying others and I can’t remember every single one I have tried, but what I’ve used most and had this issue with all is the following:
• itaste SVD with the extension (I used it with two batteries and with one, no difference other than with two it lasted longer (obviously))
• Provari 2.5 Mini
• Eleaf iStick

Tanks:
• Kanger (can’t remember names of the types I used, but I know one didn’t have the vent holes & one did)
• Aspire Nautilus
• Aspire Nautilus Mini
• Aspire Nautilus 2

I know there were several others long ago that I’m totally blanking out on, but I’m positive that the technology of those was so old that they don’t make anything like them anymore. One was a really big brand though, I remember seeing that Method Man was using that brand to vape .... Lol, I know that’s totally irrelevant but that’s the only thing that I can remember about that one. It was the first “nice” setup I ever had.

Now back then I didn’t have the issue with the burning (maybe now and then, but not regularly), that’s started within the past year or two, but all from the SVD to the Provari to the iStick, and Kanger to Nautilus (all of the Nautilus tanks), I’ve had the issue. I hope this will help.

I also want to say that I *do* prime my coils well, I use the lowest voltage, and my husband doesn’t have the issue and I set his up for him. The only differences between his and mine are 1) he uses a lower level of nic & 2) he typically uses a higher voltage.

Thanks to ALL for your comments and willingness to help!! I really appreciate you all!

Oh, and I have switched with him and when I do, mine works fine for him and his gets the burned taste. I’ve watched him vape, and he takes draws more frequently. He has suggested that I might be taking too long of a draw, and I thought maybe, so I’ve been taking shorter draws and no change. It makes no sense! Thank you all again!!

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hello, I have been vaping for about 6 years and it seems no matter what setup I use I cannot get the flavor I want. The liquid I use is great, and my husband uses the same setup and his is always very good. I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong or what I need to do? I have tried several different setups, and they all seem to be good at first, but the coils/atomizers burn out fast and the flavor is awful. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to list specifically what I’ve tried, but I’d really appreciate if someone can help me. I posted here before and I’m pretty sure my post was taken down because it somehow didn’t comply. If you think you can help me let me know if I’m allowed to tell the setups I’ve tried and maybe someone can help me figure out what to do. Thanks!
You absolutely are aloud to list them. In fact it would likely be helpful in figuring out your problem

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Okay, so you say your husband's setup produces the flavor you want. Why not try duplicating it (and by that I mean same tanks and coils, but also perhaps same wattage and priming style?) Seems to me that would most quickly help resolve the problem. Have him work with you on coil changing and priming, and use a similar wattage range. Might want to watch him in action, too, sometimes merely a different inhalation technique can make a large difference.

Best of luck and welcome to ECF.

Anna

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto

I believe this is how it works ... you take the more enjoyable flavorful setup, and hubby gets saddled with the weaker under performing setup.

that's why he became the husband.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Sounds like bad or short life coil day. Might want to read the replies in:
Introduction and Help with eVic Two Mini coils

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Might want to watch him in action, too, sometimes merely a different inhalation technique can make a large difference.
BINGO! If they are both using the same gear and juice, the single different factor must be in the way she vapes.

A Word on Vaping Technique

kaiami

Jun 1, 2017
Okay, so you say your husband's setup produces the flavor you want. Why not try duplicating it (and by that I mean same tanks and coils, but also perhaps same wattage and priming style?) Seems to me that would most quickly help resolve the problem. Have him work with you on coil changing and priming, and use a similar wattage range. Might want to watch him in action, too, sometimes merely a different inhalation technique can make a large difference.

Best of luck and welcome to ECF.

Anna
Thanks! I actually began vaping before he did, and I helped him (and still do) get his setup ready. He’s kind of vape illiterate so to speak. I have used exactly what he uses but it doesn’t make any difference! It’s so frustrating because it doesn’t make sense. The only thing we do differently (and I’ve tried mimicking how he uses his to the t, but it caused my coil to burn faster) is he uses his at a higher voltage. I tried that and for a minute it tasted better, but then it was so burned I had to toss a brand new coil! He sets his at about 5V and I keep mine on the minimum (3V). Oh, and we vape different nic levels, but I don’t think that would make any difference, since it’s the same brand and same PG/VG ratio. Thanks for your comment! I will post what I’ve tried, I just didn’t know if I was allowed to or not! ;)

Reactions: stols001

kaiami

Jun 1, 2017
Maybe too much wattage or not priming coils correctly. Short tanks will have better flavor but for best flavor RTAs are the best
Thanks! Although I’ve been vaping for so long, since way before it was a fad, I don’t know all the terminology, so I’m not sure what RTA’s are. Sorry if I seem dumb for that. I use the lowest wattage and I prime my coils until the liquid comes into my mouth! Not just until I can taste the flavor. Which I have done that, but I thought that priming more would help. I’m going to reply to others and list what I have tried, I just didn’t know if I could. I remember that once I posted something here and it was deleted and I’m not sure why. So I didn’t want to violate the rules. Thanks again for your comment! :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Sometimes it is a minor rule infraction/link whatever. I think it would be okay for you to try posting what you have tried, ought to be fine.

Something here isn't making sense.... The husband shouldn't be able to vape his coils for longer at higher voltage and the exact same JUICE apart from nic level....

Since you are at a lower nicotine strength do you think it's possible you have vastly different usage habits? I mean, he vapes way less.

I would still study his vaping technique. For example, he might inhale for a second or two longer, hence "drawing up" vape into his coil for more consistent wicking technique and no dry hits. What is his airflow like compared to yours? Seriously, sometimes very small things can make a BIG difference. When I started vaping I had very high gunking factors so had to find various ways to compensate for them, etc.

Follow him around like a little dog for a day (he'll love it, trust me) and pay close attention to HOW he vapes, when he vapes, how often, for how long, how many drags, time his draw, etc. Explain that you are trying to learn from "the master" if he objects.

Or, if you're jealous of his vape luck, just tell him you think he might be "seeing someone." Trust me, he'll start vaping right that VERY SECOND.

Please don't use my last suggestion.... The others maybe.

Best of luck,

Anna

Reactions: kaiami

kaiami

Jun 1, 2017
Hi and welcome. By all means, tell us what you've tried, and what you didn't like about each one. We'll try to help.
Thanks! So I tried (when I first started vaping and there weren’t a lot of choices) the Joyetech (I can’t remember what type, this was so long ago).. it was one of few that was available in the only vape shop at the time nearby. I used the little tops that had cotton in them and you’d add the liquid, they weren’t tanks. Then I started trying others and I can’t remember every single one I have tried, but what I’ve used most and had this issue with all is the following:
itaste SVD with the extension (I used it with two batteries and with one, no difference other than with two it lasted longer (obviously))
Provari 2.5 Mini
Eleaf iStick

Tanks:
Kanger (can’t remember names of the types I used, but I know one didn’t have the vent holes & one did)
Aspire Nautilus
Aspire Nautilus Mini
Aspire Nautilus 2

I know there were several others long ago that I’m totally blanking out on, but I’m positive that the technology of those was so old that they don’t make anything like them anymore. One was a really big brand though, I remember seeing that Method Man was using that brand to vape THC. Lol, I know that’s totally irrelevant but that’s the only thing that I can remember about that one. It was the first “nice” setup I ever had.

Now back then I didn’t have the issue with the burning, that’s started within the past year or two, but all from the SVD to the Provari to the iStick, and Kanger to Nautilus (all of the Nautilus tanks), I’ve had the issue. I hope this will help. I’m not sure if I need to respond to each person who told me I should share the setups. Hopefully everyone will see this.

I also want to say that I do prime my coils well, I use the lowest voltage, and my husband doesn’t have the issue and I set his up for him. The only differences between his and mine are 1) he uses a lower level of nic & 2) he typically uses a higher voltage.

Thanks to ALL for your comments and willingness to help!! I really appreciate you all!

kaiami

Jun 1, 2017
Sometimes it is a minor rule infraction/link whatever. I think it would be okay for you to try posting what you have tried, ought to be fine.

Something here isn't making sense.... The husband shouldn't be able to vape his coils for longer at higher voltage and the exact same JUICE apart from nic level....

Since you are at a lower nicotine strength do you think it's possible you have vastly different usage habits? I mean, he vapes way less.

I would still study his vaping technique. For example, he might inhale for a second or two longer, hence "drawing up" vape into his coil for more consistent wicking technique and no dry hits. What is his airflow like compared to yours? Seriously, sometimes very small things can make a BIG difference. When I started vaping I had very high gunking factors so had to find various ways to compensate for them, etc.

Follow him around like a little dog for a day (he'll love it, trust me) and pay close attention to HOW he vapes, when he vapes, how often, for how long, how many drags, time his draw, etc. Explain that you are trying to learn from "the master" if he objects.

Or, if you're jealous of his vape luck, just tell him you think he might be "seeing someone." Trust me, he'll start vaping right that VERY SECOND.

Please don't use my last suggestion.... The others maybe.

Best of luck,

Anna
I’m actually vaping a higher nic level! And he’s said that it’s probably because I take longer hits/draws, so that’s not it. I have watched him like a hawk and he vapes more frequently than I do, as in he takes a draw more often. That’s really the only thing I notice that he does differently and the fact that he uses a higher voltage. So I don’t know. Maybe I just have bad luck? It’s so odd! He’s always asking for my help because he has trouble doing anything other than actually vaping. I clean both our tanks regularly, I clean coils in between fillings (then prime them).. I’ve even had him use the Provari & SVD and they were fine with him, but when we traded back it messed up for me! ‍♀️ I’m so confused and I’m ready to buy something different but I don’t know what to get! Thanks!

kaiami

Jun 1, 2017
I believe this is how it works ... you take the more enjoyable flavorful setup, and hubby gets saddled with the weaker under performing setup.

that's why he became the husband.
I’ve tried!! But his messes up when I use it and mine works fine when he uses it!! then we trade back and his is good for him and mine bad for me again!! Thanks!

kaiami

Jun 1, 2017
Hi and welcome. By all means, tell us what you've tried, and what you didn't like about each one. We'll try to help.
Thank you! I’m trying to keep up. I did post what all I’ve used. I’m not sure if I need to list it in every reply, or if I can post it somewhere that everyone can see? Thanks so much for your comment! :)

kaiami

Jun 1, 2017
You absolutely are aloud to list them. In fact it would likely be helpful in figuring out your problem
I listed them in one reply. I’m so grateful for all the replies, but I’m a little overwhelmed and I’m not sure if I need to reply to everyone telling what I’ve used or if I can post it somewhere so everyone can see? Thank you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread