The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Iowa DOJ Comes Down In Favor of ecigs/vaping

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Tommy-Chi, Dec 24, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Tommy-Chi

Tommy-Chi Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 9, 2015
    Chitown
    Just released today. Merry Christmas from the Iowa DOJ!

December 23, 2015

Statement by Attorney General Tom Miller on Electronic Cigarette Key Facts

"The harm of the combustible cigarette is dramatically greater than the harm of the e-cigarette"

"The harm of the combustible cigarette is dramatically greater than the harm of the e-cigarette. The combustible cigarette is by far the most harmful consumer product known to mankind,
    killing 480,000 people each year in the United States alone. This is largely due to the many deadly toxins created and released by the combustion. A panel of experts estimates that the e-
    cigarette is 95% less harmful. Some push back on this study, in part questioning the ability to put an exact number on it. Another estimate is 90-98% less harmful. But whatever number is
    correct, e-cigarettes are dramatically less harmful than combustible cigarettes.

"There has been an effort to say that combustible cigarettes and e-cigarettes are equally harmful, that their companies are equally evil, and that they should be strongly regulated the
    same way. This view is incorrect, but it has gotten significant traction. Polling indicates that 32% of Americans believe that combustible cigarettes and e-cigarettes are equally harmful. This
    means that as many as 13 million adult smokers believe them to be equally harmful, and are very unlikely to switch when switching may save their lives. People making misstatements
    about e-cigarettes have the best of intentions—to keep kids from being addicted to nicotine through e-cigarettes. But adults misleading kids to get them to do what
    we want has always been a failed strategy.

"There also is a misconception about the prevalence of teen e-cigarette smoking. According to the National Youth Tobacco Survey, 13% of American high school students smoked an e-
    cigarette once or more in the last 30 days. This includes regular use and experimental use. As the figure is repeated, the number 13% is used without that qualification. After a few
    repetitions, people then tend to assume that 13% are regular users. However, regular use—if defined by usage in 20 or more days in the last 30 days—is actually 2%. The numbers should be
    seen together-13% used e-cigarettes once or more in the last 30 days; 2% have used an e-cigarette 20 or more days in the last 30 days."

• Like Like x 41
  2. Oregon Linda

Oregon Linda Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    Salem, OR
    Wow, that shows so much common sense that it is absolutely mind blowing that it came from a public official.

• Like Like x 22
  3. Tommy-Chi

Sep 9, 2015
    Chitown

2016 could go either way for vaping! Fight for your rights! I Pledge Allegiance To The Flag: "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

LIBERTY AND JUSTICE. We need to stand up for our rights! Get active out there...

• Like Like x 6
  4. jensy

jensy Super Member ECF Veteran

Holy crap. There is such a thing a christmas miracles!

• Like Like x 10
  5. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    What makes Iowa different that they can come out with the truth when few others can?

Congrats Iowa!!!

• Like Like x 13
  6. Yiana

Yiana Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2015
    Planet Earth
    I'm so happy right now! Finally! And an attorney general no less. I guess Iowa doesn't need that MSA money so much or they actually give a .... about their people.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Steamix

Steamix Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2013
    Vapistan
    Bone-dry and terse...and putting some of the numbers and statistics back in their proper context ...

Ate 'em all already , else I'da shared my favourite x-mas cookies with the man :)

• Like Like x 7
  8. AndriaD

AndriaD Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    I am so pleased to know that some politician in middle America actually has a brain in his head! Unlike all the politicians in Indiana and Illinois and Arkansas and Washington state and California.

Yes I had to keep adding to that last sentence as more idjits occurred to me after the first one. :facepalm:

Andria

• Like Like x 8
  9. USACelt

USACelt Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    Desert Southwest
    wow! not what I would expect from this guy
    But it is nice maybe CASSA should send this guy some love mail and get him on board to leave vaping alone

• Like Like x 5
  10. Yiana

Yiana Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2015
    Planet Earth
    I'm from Illinois and believe me I was happy to .... this last spring. Especially after living in Atlanta. Illinois will tax you to death! They are I believe the most bankrupt state now. And don't get me started about our last two governers who spent time behind bars for corruption. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 6
  11. AndriaD

AndriaD Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    I think everyone in those oppressed states should just move on down to GA. Vaping is cool here; it's actually on the lawbooks that vaping is not the same thing as smoking! And GA is extremely intolerant of idiocy from DC.

Andria

• Like Like x 8
  12. Yiana

Yiana Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2015
    Planet Earth
    I live in Tennessee now, and it seems cool here. People say so much about the south, but I find that it is one of the nicest places to live.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Grimwald

Grimwald Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 12, 2012
    Lawrence KS
    Since this AG is Democratic...perhaps we could persuade him to contact some of his counterparts.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Tommy-Chi

Sep 9, 2015
    Chitown

Great point! Any help that anyone from either party can throw at this the better. Glad to see he is on board.

• Like Like x 4
  15. VHRB2014

VHRB2014 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2014
    Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
    Three cheers for SANITY! Hip Hip Hooray!

• Like Like x 6
  16. crxess

crxess Grumpy Ole Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Read this early in the a.m. and left without comment. SHAME on me.

Thank goodness someone in a position of responsibility TO THE PEOPLE has the strength to speak out against the Agenda.

Attorney General Tom Miller - Thank You

• Like Like x 10
  17. Douggro

Douggro Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    If this fine gentleman has social media accounts, we should nicely commend him for his actions and suggest he bring this up with his fellow AG's across the country. AG's are more connected to their counterparts in other states as they can and do challenge Federal laws and regulations as they apply to the states. Getting more of them on the side of vaping would be an asset.

• Like Like x 9
  18. Marc411

Marc411 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 17, 2014
    Windy City
    Thanks for posting this Tommy. Finally someone in government with some common sense!

I e-mailed his Communications Director thanking him for the release of the statement.

geoff.greenwood@iowa.gov

Maybe this is just a beginning to turning tides.

• Like Like x 8
  19. beckdg

beckdg ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 1, 2013
    TN
    Lord Viscount Ridley is my hero.

Iowa dept. of justice is run by saints.

3 cheers for reality.

Tapatyped

• Like Like x 5
  20. daviedog

daviedog Vaping Master ECF Veteran