Iowa DOJ Comes Down In Favor of ecigs/vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    Thanks for posting this Tommy. Finally someone in government with some common sense!

I e-mailed his Communications Director thanking him for the release of the statement.

geoff.greenwood@iowa.gov

Maybe this is just a beginning to turning tides.

You bet! Tomorrow, I'll see if he has a Twitter and email acct. I'll ask him to talk to other Atty Generals across the USA. Leaving for Christmas dinner in about 30, so I don't have time to do it right now.

EBates

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 4, 2013
    Texas
    Thanks for posting this Tommy. Finally someone in government with some common sense!

I e-mailed his Communications Director thanking him for the release of the statement.

geoff.greenwood@iowa.gov

Maybe this is just a beginning to turning tides.

Just fired off a 'You Sir Are My Hero' email to this fine fellow. And promised my vote if he should want to run for President.:)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    angryvaper.crypticsites.com
    My first encounter with it was when I was very young, 4-5 yrs old, and my mom thought it unseemly for me to be calling people stupid... you see I've been like this all my life. :D So she said 'idjits" was slightly more permissible than 'stupid.' :lol: Potato, potahto. :D

Andria

Douggro

Ultra Member
    Nov 26, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    You bet! Tomorrow, I'll see if he has a Twitter and email acct. I'll ask him to talk to other Atty Generals across the USA. Leaving for Christmas dinner in about 30, so I don't have time to do it right now.
    Post back here if you find either he or his media guy has a Twitter handle!

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    No kidding!! :lol::lol:
    My oldest is in Japan right now - missionary trip through church - and she SnapChatted us a Merry Christmas yesterday. She's 17 hours ahead and it was Christmas morning there. :)

Going to talk to a buddy about setting up network rooms, routers, switches and desktops in the new year. I'm shooting for part time for now. We will see!

I really dig our allies, S. Korea, Japan, Philippines. I want the US to protect them from China. China is bullying all of them and we need to step up.

Hope she enjoys Japan! Missionary work! Excellent!

Reactions: Foggy Road

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Current Firefox browser with TweetDeck and ECF running. 30 inch monitor w Alienware Area 51 6-Core.

Current Desktop in TweetDeck.JPG

Reactions: Douggro

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX

Douggro

Ultra Member
    Nov 26, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    Nice to get some good news. Kind of rare these days.

Does anyone know what this means in terms of Iowa State policy? Is it more than an AG stating his opinion?
    AG's typically are charged with making sure that any laws or statutes passed by the state legislation, or Initiatives proposed by the citizens are within the bounds and framework of the state Constitution. They can also be empowered to act on behalf of the state at the Federal level if they believe a Federal law is impinging on states rights of determination. It is not uncommon for AG's from several states to band together in filing suit in Federal Court over such matters if they believe they have more legal standing as a group, similar to Class Action.

There's little an AG can do to directly affect any proposed legislation. They can however declare the law unconstitutional or inapplicable because of the structure of the law being improper once it is passed. A statement like the Iowa AG made indicates he's not very keen on defending such laws and may lodge a challenge to the application of the law. That could deter legislators from proposing legislation.

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 23, 2013
    Just released today. Merry Christmas from the Iowa DOJ!

December 23, 2015

Statement by Attorney General Tom Miller on Electronic Cigarette Key Facts

"The harm of the combustible cigarette is dramatically greater than the harm of the e-cigarette"

"The harm of the combustible cigarette is dramatically greater than the harm of the e-cigarette. The combustible cigarette is by far the most harmful consumer product known to mankind,
    killing 480,000 people each year in the United States alone. This is largely due to the many deadly toxins created and released by the combustion. A panel of experts estimates that the e-
    cigarette is 95% less harmful. Some push back on this study, in part questioning the ability to put an exact number on it. Another estimate is 90-98% less harmful. But whatever number is
    correct, e-cigarettes are dramatically less harmful than combustible cigarettes.

"There has been an effort to say that combustible cigarettes and e-cigarettes are equally harmful, that their companies are equally evil, and that they should be strongly regulated the
    same way. This view is incorrect, but it has gotten significant traction. Polling indicates that 32% of Americans believe that combustible cigarettes and e-cigarettes are equally harmful. This
    means that as many as 13 million adult smokers believe them to be equally harmful, and are very unlikely to switch when switching may save their lives. People making misstatements
    about e-cigarettes have the best of intentions—to keep kids from being addicted to nicotine through e-cigarettes. But adults misleading kids to get them to do what
    we want has always been a failed strategy.

"There also is a misconception about the prevalence of teen e-cigarette smoking. According to the National Youth Tobacco Survey, 13% of American high school students smoked an e-
    cigarette once or more in the last 30 days. This includes regular use and experimental use. As the figure is repeated, the number 13% is used without that qualification. After a few
    repetitions, people then tend to assume that 13% are regular users. However, regular use—if defined by usage in 20 or more days in the last 30 days—is actually 2%. The numbers should be
    seen together-13% used e-cigarettes once or more in the last 30 days; 2% have used an e-cigarette 20 or more days in the last 30 days."

Awesome! Thank you for posting this. I have ties to Iowa, and I don't mind saying that Iowegians (as a generalization) are definitely some of the most honest, down to earth people I know. How refreshing to read something like this, no matter the context or implications it does or does not have. Every step in the right direction is a very good one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread