Status
Not open for further replies.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
I just flew back from Tortola today and had my e cigs confiscated by British Virgin Islands Custom's. I'm really upset and have smoked my 1st cigarette in over a year since quitting with my pv's. I waited forever for item's like the ipv mini 2 to get to me down here in the Islands and am astonished that an airline has a policy of disallowing e-cigs in either carry on or checked luggage!

Naturally, I will be getting in touch with the Airline concerned for an explanation. Last thing I expected in a place where tolerance is usually a given. Incidentally a sign read that firearm's could be checked in if discharged and declared!?!?!?

What is going on:cry:

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
I have just sent off an email to the airline concerned and will post their response.

Hi,

Today I have just returned from Tortola to Sint Maarten and am astonished as to why my 2 very expensive and hard to obtain e cigarettes were confiscated by BVI Custom's. They informed me that LIAT does not permit these item's on flight's in either checked luggage or carry on's.

I travel extensively and have never seen or heard of this being a policy with any other airline. These devices are helping millions of folks quit cigarette dependency and allowed almost everywhere in the USA and Europe since they are simple devices much like a flashlight or cellphone in as much as they are just a battery and small circuit board.

I would very much like to hear why you have this policy so that I can understand why my property was taken off me.

regards

RebornLincoln06

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2014
Grapevine, TX
Haven't you heard? You can now convert e-cigs into firearms capable of firing 5.56mm rounds!!!

All joking aside, it really is a shame that airports will basically confiscate anything that may look suspicious, but e-cigs are pretty unique in their appearance, so you would expect them to know they cause no harm.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Our world is full of little irony's isn't it! My 11 yr old son suffered a similar disappointment last year when returning from France. His aunt makes movie special effects and usually they are made specifically from a safety stance using foam injection. She very kindly gave him the small pink nun chucks used by ' Hit Girl' in the film Kickass. This harmless toy was confiscated not for what it was, but for what it looked like. You would think they could use a little common sense and discretion but choose not to.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
This is the first time I've heard of this happening.
And it certainly isn't something I like hearing.
:(

I just got back from a trip that involved...
--San Diego airport
--Seattle airport
--Portland airport

I put my ecig and my small bottle of juice in the trays when passing through security.
There were no issues.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
This is the first time I've heard of this happening.
And it certainly isn't something I like hearing.
:(

I just got back from a trip that involved...
--San Diego airport
--Seattle airport
--Portland airport

I put my ecig and my small bottle of juice in the trays when passing through security.
There were no issues.

Like yourself, I have traveled regularly in the USA and Europe without incident until today's big disappointment. I just spoke with the airport here and they promised to get back to me tomorrow by email but said they have never heard of this happening before and are equally surprised.

Reactions: caferacer

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Just a heads up, when you hear back from them, do NOT post the email. You can tell what it says, but you are not allowed to post direct emails or any communication unless you get permission from the one that is sending you the email.

On Topic: The whole thing just doesn't sound right. This is not good to hear :(
I do hope you get a positive resolution. *crosses fingers for you*
Please do post what happens!

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Just a heads up, when you hear back from them, do NOT post the email. You can tell what it says, but you are not allowed to post direct emails or any communication unless you get permission from the one that is sending you the email.

On Topic: The whole thing just doesn't sound right. This is not good to hear :(
I do hope you get a positive resolution. *crosses fingers for you*
Please do post what happens!

Thanks for the heads up Robino, I will use due diligence. It is absurd and I will update on the situation of course. Strange how this has happened in ' Paradox' of all places :cool:

Reactions: Robino1

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
UPDATE:
Customer relations have responded to my email and are stating that as the result of 2 incidents where electric cigarettes caused fires, 1 on a plane which resulted in an evacuation and the other in checked baggage area of an airport, the FAA has deemed it necessary to prohibit e cigarettes in checked luggage as of March 2015.

The full details are in the generic link below on the company's website for all to see. I would suggest you all take a look since the next move by the FAA could very well be to ban them in hand luggage also unless we can convince them to just control that they are deactivated for the duration of the flight perhaps.

The fires appear to have been caused specifically because the devices in question were accidentally activated long enough for the coils to heat up long enough to cause a fire!!!!! With the 10 second cut off feature I find this to be highly unlikely unless these particular devices failed or were unprotected mods.

Regarding my specific case, the removal of these items from hand luggage appears to be just a recommendation at present and is pending a unified stance decision. They do say it would be better not to carry them at all!

PLEASE READ THE LINK BELOW

LIAT prohibits carriage of e-cigarettes in checked luggage - Liat Airline

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
I read your link & understand they need to make safety of all passengers a priority. Just wish they would've allowed you to turn it off & carry it on.

For checked baggage I think that was the passengers responsibility to either turn it off or remove batteries beforehand.

cant forget those people who 'stealth vape' on planes though. It's difficult to enforce rules when people break em.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
I read your link & understand they need to make safety of all passengers a priority. Just wish they would've allowed you to turn it off & carry it on.

For checked baggage I think that was the passengers responsibility to either turn it off or remove batteries beforehand.

I did in fact remove the battery from the iPV mini prior to travel but the MPV I just turned off. I also was hoping they would allow me to continue on with them once I showed them as deactivated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread