IRC Channel now operational (if a bit empty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
IRC Channel now established.

#ecigs on irc.mozilla.org

I chose the mozilla network because it's new, fast, stable and uses nickserv and chanserv (this way we can keep the channel without any hassle if someone else decides to try to take the name, etc...)

If you'd like full information on how IRC works, as well as where to get mIRC (an IRC program) check this link riiiiiiiiight....

HERE

This was requested in another thread and while we are aware that the forum has a basic chat function, IRC will allow users to chat much more quickly and in a highly organized fasion (complete with private messaging, file transfers, etc...)

I have "owner" status on the channel but will be making forum mods superops as soon as humanly possible (once they get in there and get their nick-names registered with nickserv and let me know who they are ;) )

Happy chatting!

(If you're running firefox with the "chatzilla" extension, click HERE to connect to the IRC channel)

Last edited:

Programmer

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
I chose the mozilla network because it's new, fast, stable and uses nickserv and chanserv

New, fast, and stable it is. Anyone else noticed the MOTD on that IRC server?

- This server is for use by Mozilla developers, testers, and
- users. If you are not one, please find another server.
That's probably why it's fast and stable. ;) Not intended to be a general-use server.

Programmer

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
I'm of the opinion that either the site admins OR those who actually use the channel once in a while should decide what server and channel to use.

What's to stop someone from simply replying "Ok guys, the new server is irc.imthebossnow.org"

We can't have random people registering a channel in ChanServ just to "own" it, leaving no ops whatsover in the channel, directing people to use his channel and then never even use it themselves.

If we want to do this right, let's decide on a network, add a link on the site (possibly with a java IRC client to make it easy for IRC newbies), and so on. Random people making arbitrary decisions and having this buried deep in forum posts is certainly not the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread