Is 28 Gauge thicker than 32 Guage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Excuse me for my ignorance about wiring.

I was lucky enough to find 50 feet of 28 gauge kanthal for about five bucks through Amazon but now that I have it I see that he wire is much thicker than the 32 gauge wire I was using before. I guess I assumed the lower the gauge the thinner it would be. Is it the other way around? If so what is the difference in resistance between 32 and 28? Will thicker wire create more or less resistance. Still trying to fiddle with this Aga of mine trying to get the thing to wick right and wanted to check this out before I spent some time trying to recoil it with my new wire. As always, thanks in advance for the help.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
I'm not trying to insult you at all, so please don't take it that way, but you seem to have very limited knowledge about what you're doing. It's good that you came here to ask but do you know much about potential danger of what you're doing or are you arbitrarily wrapping coils?

If you don't have a multimeter or another way to check the resistance (ohms) of the coils you are building, I would recommend you get one before even trying to do this. Whatever battery you are using has an amp limitation (how much of a power draw it can withstand). If the resistance of your coil exceeds that (by being too low I mean), you are risking serious injury to yourself and potentially anyone standing next to you (battery exploding or venting chemicals you don't want near you).

Please do your research on what I just mentioned before you start building coils. If you have trouble send me a pm and I'll gladly help you out.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
I'm not trying to insult you at all, so please don't take it that way, but you seem to have very limited knowledge about what you're doing. It's good that you came here to ask but do you know much about potential danger of what you're doing or are you arbitrarily wrapping coils?

If you don't have a multimeter or another way to check the resistance (ohms) of the coils you are building, I would recommend you get one before even trying to do this. Whatever battery you are using has an amp limitation (how much of a power draw it can withstand). If the resistance of your coil exceeds that (by being too low I mean), you are risking serious injury to yourself and potentially anyone standing next to you (battery exploding or venting chemicals you don't want near you).

Please do your research on what I just mentioned before you start building coils. If you have trouble send me a pm and I'll gladly help you out.

I have an MVP that can check ohms. I'm pretty sure if the ohms are too low the MVP just reads NON and doesn't work. I don't think it explodes. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

bosun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
in between the ice ages
Specs for Kanthal:

Kanthal A-1 Wire Specs: (Ohms Per Inch)

•28 AWG- 0.439 Ohms/in, 0.0508 Diameter (in.)
•30 AWG- 0.696 Ohms/in, 0.0100 Diameter (in.)
•32 AWG- 1.091 Ohms/in, 0.0080 Diameter (in.)
•33 AWG- 1.383 Ohms/in, 0.0071 Diameter (in.)
•34 AWG- 1.758 Ohms/in, 0.0063 Diameter (in.)

Temco has all of the sizes of Kanthal you need (G),
Here is a link for 100 feet of 30 gauge for $5.48 shipped! Other sizes available, just got to look on their site..

Kanthal Wire 30 Gauge RW0107 - 100 FT 0.39oz Series A-1 Resistance AWG

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
I have an MVP that can check ohms. I'm pretty sure if the ohms are too low the MVP just reads NON and doesn't work. I don't think it explodes. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Not trying to use a scare tactic with the battery advice, and yes the MVP Version 2 has an ohm meter built in as well an an over current shut off. That's not to say it can't or hasn't been known to fail. I have an MVP myself, but by no means place my safety in the hands of the shutoff feature.

What resistance are you shooting for on the coils you plan to build?

Of course there is no way to say that a battery will explode or vent every time the amp limitation is exceeded and I hope that's not the way I came across. Although when amp limits are exceeded on many batteries they can vent chemicals, catch fire, and/or explode.

Best case scenario you ruin your device, worst case, it will injure you and/or others. Why take a chance when it's so easy to be safe with a small amount of research.

Last edited:

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Not trying to use a scare tactic with the battery advice, and yes the MVP Version 2 has an ohm meter built in as well an an over current shut off. That's not to say it can't or hasn't been known to fail. I have an MVP myself, but by no means place my safety in the hands of the shutoff feature.

What resistance are you shooting for on the coils you plan to build?

Nothing sub-ohm at all. Like you rightly recognized I'm a newbie at rebuilding. I'll be shooting for around 1.8 ohms. Now that I know a little more about it I'll be very careful with the thicker wire. I didn't realize there was that much of a difference. The 32 gauge is hard for me to work with since it's so thin and I have big finger, but the 28 gauge seems a bit thick to me. Maybe I'll get some 30 gauge. Thanks for your concern. I'm definitely not rushing into anything doing anything blindly and am doing research. Right now I'm reading a thread about using stainless steel cable as wick, that's very interesting and may try that some day.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Specs for Kanthal:

Here is a link for 100 feet of 30 gauge for $5.48 shipped! Other sizes available, just got to look on their site..

Thanks, I needed that.

rbeckys8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
idaho
Specs for Kanthal:

thank you for the info!!

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
One last thing, and I guess it's just a matter of preference. I've found that my MVP doesn't like 28 gauge too much. It's easy to work with but there seems to be a considerable lag time before the coils heat properly. Someone explained to me that it was because 28 gauge doesn't like to be used for resistance about 1.3 ohms (borderline for MVP)

I've found that 30 gauge is awesome for building coils of 1.5-2.2 ohms. Heats almost instantly on MVP.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
One last thing, and I guess it's just a matter of preference. I've found that my MVP doesn't like 28 gauge too much. It's easy to work with but there seems to be a considerable lag time before the coils heat properly. Someone explained to me that it was because 28 gauge doesn't like to be used for resistance about 1.3 ohms (borderline for MVP)

I've found that 30 gauge is awesome for building coils of 1.5-2.2 ohms. Heats almost instantly on MVP.

Great, thanks. I only paid five bucks for that spool of wire shipping included so even if I never use it for much, nothing much lost. I think you're right. 30 gauge might be the way to go all in all. Thanks so much for your help.

I got the wire through Lightning Vape from Amazon by the way. I was going to write them a complaint because the wire was so thick but thought I'd check here first to make sure. Good thing I didn't write them. LOL.

Temco Industrial Supply is really the way to go to buy wire. 100 feet in just about any guage is usually 4 -6 bucks. Not bad at all. I generally use 30 guage wire to get around 1.5 - 2 ohms on my AGA-T2.

Wire mesh can be a fun little experiment, getting out the hot spots and the right tension on the legs, but when you get it working its one of the best, if not the best clean awesome tasting vapes I have ever had. Best of luck to you! :)

CABBA

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2013
Canada
edy6a6e4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mannbrad

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
usa
Thicker wire will be lower resistance. 28 gauge will be quite a lot lower than the 32 gauge.

I don't get it????? it makes more sense to me that thicker wire would be MORE resistance because there is more making the ohms higher. it seems like it would be harder for electricity to flow through a thicker wire then a thinner one?? could someone please explain. thanks

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I don't get it????? it makes more sense to me that thicker wire would be MORE resistance because there is more making the ohms higher. it seems like it would be harder for electricity to flow through a thicker wire then a thinner one?? could someone please explain. thanks

No. It's like a pipe. The bigger the pipe, the more water can flow. A thin wire has a higher resistance than a thick wire.
That is why the electric power cables to your house are thick. When using heavy machines the power cord to the machine is thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread