Is 28g the sweet-spot for a noob?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshinthecity

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2013
Sydney
www.joshinthecity.com
I've read a lot and watched a lot of vids from the gurus.
i have a DarkZero jig on the way.
My Reo should arrive very soon.
preparedness level. AMBER.

I boiled some cotton balls last night :)
Last items on my shopping list to be secured today. Tweezers a micro Phillips head, and small sharp scissors

i have a few variations of wire on the way. It seems to me, that while a lot of different gauges get used, 28 seems to be the number that keeps coming up.
Would it be fair to say that this should be what I build my first coil with. I guess I'm chasing 2.0 ohms ish to begin with...

thanks.
josh.

jwat82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
The Land of Lincoln
Would it be fair to say that this should be what I build my first coil with. I guess I'm chasing 2.0 ohms ish to begin with.

2 ohms I'd go with 30ga. 28 for 1.5. I like 28, and started to use 29 rather than 30 on an atty that don't like thick wire.

28 is my favorite for 1.5ish ohm - 11 wraps around the .055" mold on the Deezy jig :)

Listen to this man, he knows of what he speaks.

2ohms would be around 14 wraps on a 1/16 drill bit with 28ga. That many wraps becomes a little unwieldy. 30 ga would be about 9 wraps.

And grats on the purchase!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

Joshinthecity

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2013
Sydney
www.joshinthecity.com
You guys are awesome.
Ok, here's what I'm hearing..
The gauge is right, my target is 'wrong'
I have a 1/16 bit ready and waiting.
Ill coil 10 wraps around that with 28, at a target of 1.5 ohm. I'll be reading from an Evic.

You know what it is? It's re- learning.
Why am I chasing 2.0 ohm. Because the heads I like in clearomisers at around 4.2V are 2 -2.4 ohm.
This is a wrong headed way to think.
I'm playing with the big kids now. I need to get my head right.

I'm going to go down to the Post Office, and just stand there with my arms folded looking at them, like Tony Soprano, till they hand over my frickin' package.

J.

pesky_human

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Greeley, CO
www.peskyhumans.com
28 is my preference, but I go for .8-.9 ohms, which is 8 wraps on the DZ jig. If you are going for 2.0, 30 is going to be the way to go. If you want some 30 gauge, PM me your address and I will send you a bunch, as I won't be using it. The only gripe I have with 28 is that it is difficult to keep the screws tight on the coil sometimes. With 30 you won't have that problem.

Joshinthecity

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2013
Sydney
www.joshinthecity.com
28 is my preference, but I go for .8-.9 ohms, which is 8 wraps on the DZ jig. If you are going for 2.0, 30 is going to be the way to go. If you want some 30 gauge, PM me your address and I will send you a bunch, as I won't be using it. The only gripe I have with 28 is that it is difficult to keep the screws tight on the coil sometimes. With 30 you won't have that problem.
Pesky, you're a gentleman and a scholar. What a generous offer. I'd love to take you up on that, but I'm in Oz, and I'd think postage, even on something small and light like that, might be a bit much. I dunno.
I do VERY much appreciate the offer though.
im looking forward to paying a lot of my old gear forward once I become a fully fledged Reonaught.
And maybe even helping a noob or two with The Knowledge' once I get over being intimidated by the whole rba thing.
this community continues to blow my mind, and I'm quietly honored to be a part of it.

j.

pesky_human

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Greeley, CO
www.peskyhumans.com
Pesky, you're a gentleman and a scholar. What a generous offer. I'd love to take you up on that, but I'm in Oz, and I'd think postage, even on something small and light like that, might be a bit much. I dunno.
I do VERY much appreciate the offer though.
im looking forward to paying a lot of my old gear forward once I become a fully fledged Reonaught.
And maybe even helping a noob or two with The Knowledge' once I get over being intimidated by the whole RBA thing.
this community continues to blow my mind, and I'm quietly honored to be a part of it.

j.

I just checked and a first class letter is under $2, and Kanthal weighs next to nothing. It's up to you, but I could get this put to you on Thursday.

Joshinthecity

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2013
Sydney
www.joshinthecity.com
Well we are honored to have you here. Anyone that can survive in a land with baby stealing dingos, great white sharks, salt water crocs twenty feet long, poisonous snakes and spiders, box jelly fish and has their prime minister disappear while swimming in the ocean, has my utmost respect.
Dude.. I've got 1/2 that list in my back yard...
That said, it's a Vaping wasteland. I'm sure we'll catch up at some point. But at the moment it's a pretty lonely place to be a Vaper.
Luckily for me, I have you head-cases to keep me in the loop.

There's a cold beer in the fridge if any of you guys/girls ever make it down here to God's Country.
I'll keep Schnappi the Croc in his kennel.
J.

Joshinthecity

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2013
Sydney
www.joshinthecity.com
I just checked and a first class letter is under $2, and Kanthal weighs next to nothing. It's up to you, but I could get this put to you on Thursday.

Done and DONE.
Thanks so much mate. Not just for the wire, but also for the pain in the ... of actually posting it.
Hugely appreciated.
Seriously....

J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread