Is 6 mg of nicotine more or less then a cigarette ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jclifford

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
salem nh
it is very difficult to exactly correlate how much nicotine is in an analog. There are many factors to consider. Generally, a PAD smoker of regular cigarettes has been satisfied with 18-24 mg/ml e-juice. A 2 PAD smoker I know was satisfied on 30 mg/ml. A light smoker, less than a PAD was happy with 12 mg/ml.

It greatly depends on how one vapes, and the equipment they are using. Do not be concerned with how much nicotine you are consuming. When vaping, if you still feel like smoking, you need a stronger nic content, if you are getting headaches and feel sick to your stomach you are getting too much nicotine and you should vape less often and/or get a lower nic strength.

12mg is 12 mg of nicotine per ml of juice, or the nicotine is 1.2% of the total volume of the mixture.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
it is very difficult to exactly correlate how much nicotine is in an analog. There are many factors to consider. Generally, a PAD smoker of regular cigarettes has been satisfied with 18-24 mg/ml e-juice. A 2 PAD smoker I know was satisfied on 30 mg/ml. A light smoker, less than a PAD was happy with 12 mg/ml.

It greatly depends on how one vapes, and the equipment they are using. Do not be concerned with how much nicotine you are consuming. When vaping, if you still feel like smoking, you need a stronger nic content, if you are getting headaches and feel sick to your stomach you are getting too much nicotine and you should vape less often and/or get a lower nic strength.

12mg is 12 mg of nicotine per ml of juice, or the nicotine is 1.2% of the total volume of the mixture.

Good explanation.

6mg eliquid is considered very low. The average is 18mg - 24mg. Vaping is less efficient in getting nicotine into your system that smoking is. So even a so-called "light smoker", may need an 18mg - 24mg strength eliquid to make the transition fully to vaping.

Last edited:
+ The Above.

Go by what works for you. One friend of mine started at 18 mg/ml and found it too strong (!). I landed at 22 mg/ml as the point where I could quit smoking totally. Mom was at 12 mg/ml, but was a light smoker.

When I advise people, I usually tell them to start at 18 and go up or down from there--and don't buy large amounts of liquid until you know the strength you need.

Once you're off the cigs for a while, you can start dropping the nicotine amounts if you want. I'm down to 12 mg/ml at the moment, with the next drop scheduled for late July or early August.

Rachy_B

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2011
Kent, UK
I'll agree with what's been said above. I've heard tell that you're only actually absorbing maybe 30-40% of the nicotine content of the ecig anyway although its a very rough estimate. Another thing to remember is that tobacco contains many nasty chemicals which heighten the effects of the nicotine. So for some people, 18mg might be enough to wean them off tobacco, for others they might need 24mg, some even higher or WTAs.

It isn't worth thinking about the comparison between nicotine contents of cigarettes and ecigs at an early stage. Focus on getting totally onto the ecig and off the cigs and, if you're worried about your nic intake, work towards reducing it slowly and steadily.x

Maka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2012
High on Vaping
I used to smoke 30 cigs a day, regular kind of smokes, and been smoking for 20 year
I never let them burn and I classed myself as a heavy smoker.
I could smoke 2 cigs to my mates one...

I started off on 18mg and stopped smoking the day I picked up my first ego kit.
5 months into vaping I dropped to 12 mg
I also have one bottle of 6 mg which I vape on and off during a day.
Some time in the future I want to drop to 6 mg
Then at some point maybe zero mg.

They way I see it my body is still dependent on nicotine.
I want to crush this so it's not.
Then just vape as a hobby, which it kind of is already, but I want it with out my body being dependent on nicotine.

sbc83

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
Like my name states I'm the new kid to this vape world haha. I bought a vape pen for the e-liquid but now I'm confused on the strength of it. Is 6 mg of nicotine more or less then a cigarette ? whats it mean when it says 12 mg is 1.2% ?

Don't know a lot and I apologize ahead of time.

Thank you

Are you taslking about "Hookah pens"? How old are you?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Like my name states I'm the new kid to this vape world haha. I bought a vape pen for the e-liquid but now I'm confused on the strength of it. Is 6 mg of nicotine more or less then a cigarette ? whats it mean when it says 12 mg is 1.2% ?

Don't know a lot and I apologize ahead of time.

Thank you

I think a Lot of Confusion comes from the Way Nicotine is Rated/Measured for Cigarettes verses e-Liquids.

For a Cigarette:
The mg of Nicotine is Measure as how much the Average smoker's absorbs into their Body when they Smoke 1 Cigarette. So if a Cigarette is rated as 1mg, that means that when the Average person smokes one of these cigarettes, their Body will Absorb 1 mg of Nicotine.

For e-Liquids: The mg of Nicotine in an e-Liquid is the Total Amount of Nicotine present in 1 Milliliter of Volume. So a 6mg e-Liquid has 6mg of Nicotine in 1ml.

To compare the Cigarettes to e-Liquids, a person needs to know Three things. The mg Rating of a given Cigarette. The mg Rating of an e-Liquid. And how much Nicotine the Body Absorbs when the Average person uses 1ml of a Given e-Liquid.

It Boggles my Mind that with All the Scrutiny and Discussion of e-Liquids that there is Not a Universally Excepted absorption rate for Nicotine in e-Liquids, but there doesn't seem to be. Many people, like myself, believe it to be about 10~15%.

If we used a 15% Absorption rate than if a person used 3ml of 24mg e-Liquid a Day, their total Nicotine would be 4 x 24 = 96mg of Nicotine. And if their body Absorbed 15% of that, then they would be taking in 96 x .15 = 14.4 mg of Nicotine. Or about 15 1mg Cigarettes.

Everyone is Different. Nicotine Effects people in a Multiple of Ways. There are also not all the Other Chemicals that Tobacco Companies put in Cigarettes for Dubious Reason. So considering how much Nicotine a should choose when Switching from Cigarettes to e-Cigarettes can be Difficult.

---

Pure Nicotine has 1001mg per 1ml. People just round it off to 1000 to make the Math Simple. And a Percentage is the Part Divided y the Whole. So if a person has a 12mg e-Liquid, they can divide 12 by 1000 and get .012.

Then converting to a Percentage by Multiplying by 100, 100 x .012 = 1.2%

1.2% is the same thing as saying I have 1.2% Nicotine in the Total Volume of 1ml.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
........I started off on 18mg and stopped smoking the day I picked up my first ego kit.
5 months into vaping I dropped to 12 mg
I also have one bottle of 6 mg which I vape on and off during a day.
Some time in the future I want to drop to 6 mg
Then at some point maybe zero mg.

They way I see it my body is still dependent on nicotine...........................

The problem for the vast majority who try and reduce to 0mg eliquid is not nicotine dependency. It's the fact that nicotine provides about 90% of the throat hit that mimics smoking that we feel when we vape. 0 nic = 0 throat hit. It's like vaping air. It's why such a small minority every get to that point. And additives to duplicate throat hit do not duplicate the TH from nicotine. Some will provide an irritation or sensation that may be enough to make it all the way to 0. It just won't be the same feel as vaping with nic eliquid.

You may be able to join that small minority. Good Luck

Greaser55

May 21, 2013
Missoula, MT, USA
Heres my experience so far. I was a pack a day smoker, Marb NXTs. I just started vaping yesterday. I ordered 18mg nic and one bottle of 0mg, I have been able to stay off the cigs for 24 hours, BUT I might bump it up to 24mg nic on my next order bacause it takes me 15-20 minutes of chain vaping to get rid of the cravings. I ordered the 0 nic because my friends and I spend every friday evening at a local microbrewery, and I used to chain smoke marbs the whole time. Now I will have my 0 nic strawberry loaded into an extra clearo so I can chain vape for the oral fixation while drinking beer, then when I get a craving I can screw on my clearo with cola flavor 18mg nic juice and puff till Im satisfied :)

SpinDr480

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I was 1 1/2 PAD smoker...My first bottles were an 18 and 24...I was chain vaping all day and had strong signs of too much nicotine...I had to get a bottle of 0 in the same flavors to mix and cut the nicotine in half...Now I'm content on 12-6MG...I still keep around a tank filled with 18 for when I need a quick nicotine fix, but the 12MG is good for steady and the 6MG is good for when I'm chain vapping while out having a drink.

Heden Aklowd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2013
Ferntucky, NV
6mg is more than a cigarette. But 6mg is per ml and a ml of juice is a lot of cigarettes.
Wife & I both smoked lights. She does 18mg/ml & I do 24mg/ml.
You can always dilute it if it's too strong or increase it if's too weak.
50% @ 24mg + 50% @ 18mg = 21mg
50% @ 24mg + 50% @ 12mg = 18mg
50% @ 24mg + 50% @ 6mg = 15mg
And so on.

tbx59

Mar 20, 2013
los angeles
The problem for the vast majority who try and reduce to 0mg eliquid is not nicotine dependency. It's the fact that nicotine provides about 90% of the throat hit that mimics smoking that we feel when we vape. 0 nic = 0 throat hit. It's like vaping air. It's why such a small minority every get to that point. And additives to duplicate throat hit do not duplicate the TH from nicotine. Some will provide an irritation or sensation that may be enough to make it all the way to 0. It just won't be the same feel as vaping with nic eliquid.

You may be able to join that small minority. Good Luck

I'd certainly wager it's the dependency on nicotine over the 'throat hit'

Most analogs provide contain about 1.7 to 2.0 % nicotine ( I believe) but its not as simple as that. It also depends on how many you smoked a day and your mechanical use - such as whether you inhaled a lot of it or occasionally did and let the rest burn or anywhere inbetween.

Your body gets used to, with the analogs, a certain base level of nicotine in your blood and then the spike of nicotine it received when you lit up. Its that spike effect that people associate with a feeling of satisfaction or relaxation or calming .. and so on.

I was a two pack a day smoker but learned once I started vaping that i was not one that kept a high base level of nicotine in my system. I like vaping so I do the mechanical action of vaping more then I smoked so I use a lower level of nic e-juice for those and when I get an urge for nicotine vapor a juice with a higher nicotine level to give me that nice nicotine spike as well as using a juice with more nic when i first wake up.

Listen to what your body is saying -whether its not liking too much nicotine or whether it wants more sometimes and so on and you will adjust your vaping and the nic level(s) you use to what works for you.

My pattern is just an example, everyone is different and like we all had different analog patterns and habits there is even a bigger range when it comes to vaping. Everyone is different and what is great for one person is next to worthless for another to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread