Is 8 watts on a 1.5 ohm atty the same heat as 8 watts on a 4.0 ohm atty at 8 watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Does it just take more amps to reach that heat with a lower resistance atomizer?

If I generate 8 Watts of Heat using a 1.5ohm Carto or Atty verses 8 Watts of Heat using a 3.0ohm Carto or Atty, Don't I still have 8 Watts of Heat?

But to generate 8 Watts I need 3.46 Volts @ 1.5 Ohms compared to 4.90 Volts @ 3.0 Ohms

So it took more Voltage to produce the Same amount of Watts. And I seem to recall that Volts and Amps are tied together. So it sounds like you are going to need More Amps.

Not to mention that your Battery Isn't going to last as long before it needs to be Recharged.

BTW - The HV Crowd will tell you that vaping at the same Watts tastes Better when Higher Voltages are used. I personally don't see this but that's just me.

Theoretically, it should be the same heat and power expenditure. The thicker wire used in a higher ohm atomizer may lead to more contact area against your juice for a more voluminous vape and better durability.

Just curious. What is the differences of the Diameters of a 1.5 ohm Atomizer wire to say a 3.0 ohm Atomizer wire?

Since Volume of a Cylinder is a Function of the Cross-Sectional Area x Length, Couldn't Resistance be Increased or Decreased by just making the Atomizer Wire Longer or Shorter?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yes, you can use the same wire and change resistance with length of the wire. If you have an Ohm meter and some wire you can play around with it. But you would have more surface area in contact with the juice with a longer wire and presumably more segments in the coil.

I thought it would because when I put 9 Cord Sets together and then get up on the Roof, My Drill Motor Doesn't turn very fast.

So I wonder what role Surface Area plays in the Production of a Good Hit?

I guess I could dig out some wire and a do some testing. Though I seem to recall one time an Undergraduate telling me that I was the Smartest Person he know who could Not Operate a DMM.

pyro13g

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
NE Ohio
At the end of that 9 sets of cords, how much power is left to run your drill? Power and amps are being expended on the way to your drill. You'll see warnings on extension cords about fire hazard over to great of distance. Same goes for what amp breaker is on a circuit in your house. Short runs of wire OK with higher gauge(thinner) wire, long runs need lower gauge(thicker) wire. A guy I use to crew for on fireworks displays is also an industrial electrician. He had me go grab some big thick feeder wire about two feet long. I pulled a muscle thinking it would be easy to pick up. He was screwed since I'm his muscle that get's the heavy lifting done setting up his displays. It was 98 and humid that day and I just laughed at everyone trying to muscle racks of mortars around. So I was made lead pyro that day which is basically keeping everyone safe. My real work for the day was suiting up and putting flame to fuses and pushing buttons.

So, for surface area and hit, let's use this analogy. You have a 6 inch pot and a 12 inch pot, both equal height, with an inch of water in each. You bring both pots to a boil. Which pot puts out the most steam?

There are a lot of factors to consider in our vaping experience besides our perception of power in terms of pv voltage and resistance of our atty/carto. It's like cooking the perfect medium rare steak at high heat vs cooking the most delectable ribs at low heat. An E-juice may behave differently depending on how much power you apply to it. It may differ between cartos, their wicking speed, and dripping. It may depend on how hard you draw, which is negative gain against the power you apply.

Example: I have juices I can take a nice slow hit on an ego battery. Put that carto on a 5v pass through and that slow hit turns into that nasty dry atty/carto hit. The fix, harder draw.

It's positive gain vs negative gain. It's how they size heating and cooling systems for a home or other buildings. I heat with wood in the winter. If it's 20 degrees out I need to run the wood stove much longer if it's cloudy vs sunny.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread