Status
Not open for further replies.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
Hey guys. I've been into vaping since 2009 originally, but really got into it around 2013. From 2013 to 2015 alone, I've seen a tremendous change in the community. Some of this change is extremely positive. For instance, the race to create better technology and new types of devices. From that race has come many awesome companies, with new devices, and new types of devices popping up literally overnight.

Competition is a GOOD thing, for the consumer.

However, I am wondering about the wattage race. The companies who make bats competing to make a higher wattage device. I remember when the DNA20 first came out. I remember thinking, that's awesome, but will anyone ever need 20 watts? Then the dna30 came out. It wasn't long after, that we saw our first 50watt box mod. When a 100watt box mod came out, I thought they were NUTS. Surely no one would EVER need 100watts.

Now, we have what? 150watt devices. 200watt devices. Where does it stop?

At some point, the higher wattages won't keep equaling better quality vape. In fact, I think we already reached that point a while back. I would say 100watts would be a reasonable cut off point, but then again, who am I to say?

At what point does vaping cease to be a smoking alternative, and become a hobby? At what point does vaping cease to be a hobby, and become a SPORT?

I get it......as with any technology ,there will always be a small group within the community that wishes to take things to the extreme. These are the people who take vaping from a simple hobby, to literally a "sport".

For me, vaping isn't a sport. It is a hobby. I don't see the appeal of vaping as a sport, but I have no desire to limit other people's imaginations, so long as they are careful, safe, and don't expose themselves or others to unnecessary harm.

I will say this so. For those of us who vape as a hobby. What does higher wattages do for you? I have a Sigelei 100watt box mod.....and I run kayfuns, RBAs, an Atlantis, and an arctic on it. Even running at my arctic at 0.2ohms , I never need to go past 50watts.

Also, I don't even buy 0.2 ohm coils anymore. For me personally, I find flavor to really come out at HIGHER ohms than that. I find the BEST flavor comes in at 0.5-1ohm. So what is the point of going past that? Just to increase the amount of vapor?

I'm just trying to understand why the vape community is going the way its going. What is the fascination with higher wattages outside of the tiny SPORT vaping sub-group?

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
As the threads before this one, there's no real answer. It's more about the demand from the people who want it.

What I like is seeing new things come out, even if it's ridiculous, it means vaping is popular enough to get the attention for advancement.

Different products for different tastes.

Reactions: Cool-breeze

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Vaping, as a hobby, is somewhat different from others in that the more "extreme" devices are readily available, mass-produced, and relatively inexpensive. That makes it hard to compare to other hobbies and interests with "extreme" participants.

That being said, I think high-powered devices are here to stay, but those that use them at the edges of their operating envelopes will be a small percentage of the owners of these devices.

It's like horsepower and cars. Whether they have 200 or 800, most of them are usually side-by-side, doing 80 down the Interstate.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Probably a fad. I see super sub-ohming on a mechanical as a temporary fad. One can get the same results more safely if using a high-wattage regulated mod, and use higher ohms in the process. Some vapers are getting dangerously close to the amp limits of the batteries we have available. If we're not careful as a community, someone will sustain major injuries from an exploding mechanical mod. It's inevitable. Then they will be regulated out of existence for everyone.

What's left of an exploded mechanical mod after a vented battery

pipebombmod1.jpg

I rarely vape over 10 watts with my regulated mod. I never build lower than 0.6 ohms on my mechanical. I have no need for more than 20 watts on a regulated mod, but apparently there are a minority of enthusiasts who feel that they "need" high watts to enjoy their vape. However, recent polls show that the majority of vapers are Tootle Puffers.

Last edited:

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
I think high wattage up to 100 watts is here to stay but it won't keep going up like it has been. I also agree that super low ohms will pass eventually as it is just unnecessary. I use my atlantis 2 at 65 watts and have done a few RDA builds to play with 100 watts but see no point beyond hobby/playing to go that high, the vape itself was way too hot for my liking.

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
I enjoy a higher wattage vape, personally and I do not think there is anything wrong with that. I also like a lower ohm build EVEN ON REGULATED BOXES. I am usually always around 4.2v on my regulated boxes and I just adjust with the build rather then the button. I find I really enjoy a .3 ohm dual coil dripper at around 4.2 which is 60w. Vape what ever you want to vape just do it safely. I do not agree with anyone putting a .1 ohm build on top of a single tube mech it is just asking for trouble HOWEVER I am fine if you want to put a .15 or .1 build on your dual cell Sig 150, go for the gold man.

Cacique

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Orlando, FL
Guess I'm a freak! I vape .18 at 150w daily. Mutation Xv4, 24g 3.5mm 9 wrap dual parallel coils. Huge coils that give me a lot of mildly warm vapor, but I still wish the clouds would be thicker even though they're quite big.

No, I don't do this as a sport. Never competed in a cloud comp and other than curious how my clouds would compare to others, not interested. My interest in comparing the size of my clouds is purely out of curiosity to see if in fact my clouds at 150w are bigger than at lower watts, etc.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Is high wattage a fad?
More, denser - and sometimes even more flavorful - vapor is produced through greater coil surface area. Greater coil surface area requires higher wattage to obtain sufficient heat for vaporization.

If you have a good understanding of the above... then the question becomes irrelevant, because you are inherently safe. Your actions will likely not have a negative effect on my vaping future, and you're welcome to do as you please.

If on the other hand, you don't actually understand the functional 'HOW' of the above statement, yet still choose to build atomizers at near dead short values - then I do care what you do, and will make an effort to teach you the 'HOW', hopefully before you are a danger to yourself and those around you... the latter of which is the 'WHY' I would take the time to make that effort.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
I get what you are saying State O' Flux, but my question isn't merely posed JUST from a safety stand point. You say that more surface area = more flavor, and I think most people will agree. However, at what point does the advantage of increasing surface area, and therefore raising the wattage NOT pay off?

What I'm saying is, I think many people are fooling themselves. I think , as I mentioned, many people (not all) who do extreme sub ohming and extreme high wattage are doing so for sport, even if they pretend or convince themselves its for "flavor".

Honestly, I think there is a point we already reached, as far as wattage and sub ohms is concerned, where once you go past that point, the return on flavor is barely noticeable. Where exactly that point is, I can't say.....but it seems to be right around 100 watts, and around 0.2 ohms. Once you start going below 0.2 ohms, and/or above 100watts, I just don't see the flavor being enhanced in a noticeable way. In fact, I think most people can reach an optimum flavor WITHOUT even sub-ohming, or going over 20 watts. From spending years vaping, and trying all different types of setups, wattage levels, ohms, etc.....I just think after a certain point, you hit a wall regarding flavor. At that point, any increase in wattage or lowering of ohms is more for sport. Thats just my opinion though

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
Clearly I can't predict the future either but on the one hand I agree with you with what is currently available but if the goobermint stays out of it who knows what could be next.

Every vaper I know is under 100w's for sure and mostly closer to 50. But TC seems to be coming on strong. I don't have it yet but I ordered Ni200 yesterday from Temco so I will by this weekend. Several people I know already have it and love it, I may be next.

So if I was a guessing man I put my money on box mods in the 50w range with TC. HOWEVER!!!! Battery life in TC seems to be an issue. Which means I further think twin 18650 mods will increase. And because they now have twin batteries its nothing to go 100w or whatever as a selling point even though few will ever go that high. I don't think bigger then 2 18650 mods will catch on and they will be to large for average hands.

So final guess for 1 year from today is a 100w twin 18650 box with TC used at 50w(joules!!).

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Don't think so. What I do think is that low ohms is a fad. Anything below 1 ohm doesn't cut it for several people, and I find my 1 ohm builds vape better at 20 or so watts. I have a 100w IPV V4 that I never use above 20w but it's handy for Ni200 builds. So, yes, no fad.
Unless mech mods are a fad, low ohms will always be a popular choice among enthusiasts.

Reactions: Ohm Gnome

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I get what you are saying State O' Flux, but my question isn't merely posed JUST from a safety stand point. You say that more surface area = more flavor, and I think most people will agree. However, at what point does the advantage of increasing surface area, and therefore raising the wattage NOT pay off?
The physical properties of the devices we use is one real "limit"... as many of the two-digit IQ types who want maximum vapor but don't understand even the most basic science behind it... couldn't create a "higher capacity" alternative to our present devices, if their lives depended on it.

Sadly, there are those that can (and down the road, probably will) build larger capacity, alternate devices... because there's money to be made.

I can offer a perfectly safe, theoretical build for 1000 watts. Can I - or would I even want to - vape it? Highly doubtful.
Is there someone out there that thinks they can? You betcha. o_O 300 watt plus devices are commercially available.

Maybe when someone literally blows there face off... a - pardon the pun - cloud of logic and reason will settle on the horrified crowd.

Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread