Is it just me or this some poor advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
In a stickie titled "Speil for people who ask you about your e-cig", at the top of this page the following advice appears. It's suggested to tell inquiring people this:

...It's a PV or personal vaporizer, a personal inhaler to substitute for a cigarette. Battery-powered. I've switched to an alternative way of smoking and now I use this.

Am I being overly critical to suggest that saying vaping is "an alternative way of smoking" is not only factually wrong, but also validates the opinions of all those people who tell you that you still smoke, only now you smoke electronic cigarettes?

May I suggest it be corrected to read "I've switched to an alternative to smoking"?

vaping is not an alternative way of smoking. It's not smoking at all. The above statement is like saying eating your vegetables raw is an alternative way of cooking or cycling is an alternative way of driving.

Words have enormous power. In this environment, it's important to choose them carefully.

Last edited:

CountSmackula

Genisis Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
BFE, KY
Perhaps "I've found an alternative to smoking." would be more effective.

My coworkers know I quit smoking. I've told them that my 'inhaler' allowed me to quit. And that the liquid inside kills the "need" to smoke. I've explained it enough now that even the students call my pv my inhaler.

I NEVER use the phrase "electronic cigarette", nor do I say anything about nicotine unless it's a current smoker who'd like to quit. One of my coworkers wanted to give up cigs for Lent, so I told her about all the entry level options. She didn't want something as 'big' as my ego, so she went with a mini. She hasn't snuck a smoke & thinks that she will eventually quit needing her pv.

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Vaping is another way of delivering nicotine to addicts who don't want to risk exposure to the carcinogenic tars delivered by smoking tobacco. Vaping is an attractive nicotine delivery system because it simulates some aspects of smoking that other delivery systems don't.

Sorry if I'm being blunt, but that's the way it is. For me, anyway.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Vaping is another way of delivering nicotine to addicts who don't want to risk exposure to the carcinogenic tars delivered by smoking tobacco. Vaping is an attractive nicotine delivery system because it simulates some aspects of smoking that other delivery systems don't.

Sorry if I'm being blunt, but that's the way it is. For me, anyway.

Yeah.... But whatever else it is, it isn't smoking. Non smokers claim to be offended by smoke. They can't suddenly change what their offended by, once the smoke is no longer there. I never heard of a smoking ban being instituted because people were offended or endangered by "nicotine delivery systems". Smoke was the issue then. Smoke is the issue now.

tinajfreeman

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
I just tell people it's my little vapor machine that heped me quit smoking.I know it sounds stupid but all people zone in on is the quit smoking part.:2c:

That's exactly what I say to people I don't know..."It's my inhaler that I have used to quit smoking. These things are wonderful." And leave it at that unless they want to know more. About 50% will ask follow-up questions and half of those ask for info on where they can buy one!

I never use the words "cigarette" or "alternative smoking method". It isn't a cigarette and it isn't smoking, period, and I do not want the negative connotation associated with that. I don't want PV's to be associated with that negative connotation. People need to understand that these things could save millions of lives of people who haven't been willing or able to quit smoking.

A LOT of smokers out there would quit if they knew there was a safer alternative that provided them with the same benefits they feel they are getting from smoking. Vaping is not identical, but it is very close, without the stench and without most of the health concerns.

newq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Eldersburg Maryland USA
I call it my "Personal Electronic Nicotine Inhalation System"

ROFL I have to say it for comedic value but, Tell me about how you use this? Do you just stick it in your mouth and suck on it ?

Sorry Sailor! Had to be said :laugh:

it is a good point and I was thinking the same thing. I tell people "OH, I quit smoking, I use an e-cigarette now." It sounds brilliantly uninformed. Like it is just smoking with a battery as opposed to a lighter when in reality it is much different.

I dont really care for the term vaping however, I think clinically and socially to protect our interests we have to change the terminology to diminish the similarity in the two. In Sailors comical post he may truthfully be on the right track. In fact giving it a clinical name sounding name would make it seem more credible.

Last edited:

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
Originally Posted by sailorman

I call it my "Personal Electronic Nicotine Inhalation System"

Originally Posted bynewq
ROFL I have to say it for comedic value but, Tell me about how you use this? Do you just stick it in your mouth and suck on it ?

Sorry Sailor! Had to be said

I've gotten to know sailorman a bit lately....And its ok because he uses the condom method and he wipes off the but plug before he puts it in:oops:

Seriously, we need to seperate ourselves from the smokers. Every chance any one of us get to educate someone is an opportunity to get one more person on our side, or even save a life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread