Is it just me that thinks cutting kanthal with scissors is a stupid idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

owmang

Jul 3, 2014
New Zealand`
Just a little rant. I see heaps of people cutting their coil legs with the same scissors as they would use with cutting their cotton wick. now its fine if you only use 30g and under but ive seen people use them to cut 26g and occasionally even 24g. I used to do it and the scissors would get very blunt over time making wick cutting a hassle and a half. I now use a flush cutter for kanthal so much easier, cleaner cuts, and they never get blunt.

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
What I don't understand is getting quality mods and using inappropriate, cheap tools to make builds.

Scissors can actually get dents from cutting wire, then they not only feel blunt or just tear rather than cut, they also feel very gritty and cheap. +1 on the flush cutters. Get a precision pair made to cut leads at Radio Shack and live with the right tool for the right job. Your tool will last longer and your leads are cut flush, eliminating potential shorts.

...And to cut you wicks, use a good pair of precision fabric shears or even thread cutters from the fabric store and say goodbye to those nasty uncontrolled filaments that get stuck in chimney threads.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Wow....its Halloween, not April Fools day. This can't be serious. But I'll play along.. .
I hate people who use store brand paper towels. If you have authentic mods, spring for Bounty...the quicker picker upper. Dang posers with your cost cutter paper towels....you're going to ruin vaping for everybody.

Reactions: sahsah

danfinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
Virgo Super Cluster
titanium blade scissors (cheap, from safeway but VERY sharp) for cotton

toe nail clippers for wire. The curve of the clippers nestles right up to the posts. very ...., er um I'm mean tidy.

hqdefault.jpg

Bassnorma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Geekville, USA
Just a little rant. I see heaps of people cutting their coil legs with the same scissors as they would use with cutting their cotton wick. now its fine if you only use 30g and under but ive seen people use them to cut 26g and occasionally even 24g. I used to do it and the scissors would get very blunt over time making wick cutting a hassle and a half. I now use a flush cutter for kanthal so much easier, cleaner cuts, and they never get blunt.

Me too...cutting KGD with blunt scissors is a drag. Especially when you can pick up a flush trimmer on the cheap.... ...love those btw...good quality, cheap price. That is so rare these days.

Bassnorma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Geekville, USA
If you own quality mods, there's no excuse not to use Dovo scissors for your wicks. Don't punk out. It's embarrassing.

Meh...I like to add to my tool collection...makes my life happy when I need a tool and it is there...not typical female but I take pride in fixing my own schiznit...so flush cutters for the win!

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Thanks for the link Bassnorma - I've been thinking about getting something like that. In the mean-time, I've been using a pair of nail clippers quite successfully. Know what's funny though? It's clippers I bought from FastTech!!! Just cuz I wanted to - wasn't even thinking ahead and planning to use them for vaping, I just bought them, so they were then when I needed a cutting tool to build with.

1596103-4.jpg

FastTech, $2.50, free shipping :D

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
What I don't understand is getting quality mods and using inappropriate, cheap tools to make builds.

Scissors can actually get dents from cutting wire, then they not only feel blunt or just tear rather than cut, they also feel very gritty and cheap. +1 on the flush cutters. Get a precision pair made to cut leads at Radio Shack and live with the right tool for the right job. Your tool will last longer and your leads are cut flush, eliminating potential shorts.

...And to cut you wicks, use a good pair of precision fabric shears or even thread cutters from the fabric store and say goodbye to those nasty uncontrolled filaments that get stuck in chimney threads.

Yes because builds always vape better when quality tools are used :facepalm:

This thread is funny.

RGLP4Lyfe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
PA
Yeah if i used scissors the would be ruined in no time! Ive even put gouges in my wire cutters from going to hard with them.. i only use my scissors for cutting my rayon. But i need to invest in good wire snips. Snap-on sounds promising!

My love- Kawa green Reo grand LP w/ TRA Super light door, with TOBH and chuff top!

Bassnorma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Geekville, USA
Yeah if i used scissors the would be ruined in no time! Ive even put gouges in my wire cutters from going to hard with them.. i only use my scissors for cutting my rayon. But i need to invest in good wire snips. Snap-on sounds promising!

My love- Kawa green Reo grand LP w/ TRA Super light door, with TOBH and chuff top!

I like those little cheapies too...they hold up to all kinds of low gauge jobs...under 10 bucks. I am glad I bought them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread