Is it me or the juice??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubique

Nov 17, 2018
So the vaping hardware I got in spades. The juice, on the other hand, is driving me around the bend!! I'm going to spend a small fortune going the way I am!!

Granted, I have been trying some house blends from my local shop to try different flavors to find what I like. What I'm finding is that by the end of the first tank,,,second tank at most,,,the flavor drops off dramatically. I can taste the sweetness but very little actual flavor,,not much more than a hint. The only two I've had any luck with so far is Dr. Fogs RB Float, but the flavor still fades away to about half from the first puff. My 2nd lucky flavor is a glacier mint and that stays strong throughout but I'd like something new and don't want to stuck with nothing but mint flavors.

I know I have to stay at 75% VG or higher otherwise I'm coughing with every puff. Does that have a factor in the flavor? Is it my burnt taste buds from 35 years of smoking? Or am I just expecting too much?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!!

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
DIY is better. Slow to get recipes perfected, though. Takes some patience.

Not sure how long it has been since you smoked. For me, it took a feeew months. Mint seemed to work at first and I just sort of lived with it as I went to Afghanistan. Then one day I was out of juice, but another guy had some in his vehicle so I filled my tank. Wow, I was amazed at how much I could taste. It just took time for my taste buds to return.

I have no sense of taste in other ways, too. I don't expect to have it when I first wake up in the morning. Foods can mess with my tastebuds, too.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
At first I'd be all over a flavor then after a few days things seemed pretty bland. I learned to go a different route in flavor and return to my favorite after a day or two.

Example, my absolute favorite is a sweet grape with a hint of white grape. I also swap to a fuji apple/strawberry combo and a blueberry/appricot combo and go back and forth.

I vape the blueberry combo the most because it seems to hold it's flavor best. Not that my other stuff doesn't hold it's flavor, just my tastebuds seem to become used to the grape the easiest.

Think about it like this; you place a dab of cologne on your shirt and in 10 minutes you no longer smell it. Yet the aroma is still there.

Ubique

Nov 17, 2018
Drink more water, rotate your flavors often.

This is one of the reasons I keep at least 3 devices with different flavors in them at all times.
Well once Canada Post gets their ....e in order and my vapemail gets here I'll be able to do just that!! A good case of shineyitis and AliExpress will definitely add more to my collection!!

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Think about it like this; you place a dab of cologne on your shirt and in 10 minutes you no longer smell it. Yet the aroma is still there.

Yup.....Sensory Adaptation....happens with my tasters too. It's part of why that first bite of ice cream tastes much better than the last (such a sad state too :D)

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
Couple of things to consider
1) Juices made to order may need to steep anywhere from a couple days to a month before their flavor is right and stabilized.

2) You don't say what tank and coils you are using. Not all coils are created equal. If I vape a SMOK brand coil and get 2 days of flavor I am amazed it lasted that long, when I vape a Freemax Mesh coil I easily get 120ml (~10 days) through the coil with good flavor.

3) You don't say or I missed it, whether you vape DL or MTL. If DL take a look at trying these tanks and coils. Sorry no idea which tanks and coil are good for MTL been a long time since I was MTL.
a) Freemax Mesh Pro with either their double or triple mesh coils
b) Vaporesso NRG with their GT mesh coil
c) Vaporesso Skrr with their GT mesh coil, avoid their QF coil until they get it figured out
d) Aspire Revvo with their ARC coil - downside is capacity at 3.6ml

4) While there is some truth to high VG muting flavor a bit, I vape all 70VG/30PG juices and get plenty of flavor out of my go to tanks and coils.

It may not be your juice or taste buds you might simply need a better tank/coil system.

Start with low watts with a new and properly primed coil, slowly increase the power/watts in say 3 to 5 watt increments until the taste is right. as @Letitia pointed out then back down a bit. With new juices where I have not already established the optimum power level, I will go until its just a bit too warm and loses some flavor then back down 2.5 to 3 watts and the flavor will pop back for me.

Be careful of premium blends, sometimes premium i simply a euphemism for over priced. Not to say there are not some really good premium blends out there.

When I first quit smoking I vaped all local shop blends with tons of flavor boost it was the only way I could taste the juice, now that I have my taste buds back I find those juices to be overpowering.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread