Is it normal for coils NOT to give a crackle sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerpMeetsTF2

Oct 11, 2018
So ive been vaping for all of 2 months however, everytime I have ever used a sub ohm tank it makes that crackling sound. Now from what I can gather thats normal and what should be happening. Ever since ive started using this new tank however it has had none of that. Is that normal? It probably isnt a big deal but like ive said, ive never had that NOT happen. I cant seem to find any information on tanks not giving that sound, only things that say the crackling sound is normal. So I figured id just make a thread about it.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Some crackling, my understanding, is good. Are we heating the juice or are we vaporizing the juice? Now, if it is a loud crackling then the power is to high and the wick will burn and give a lousy taste. Also, a bit of crackling indicates that juice is actually in contact with the coil. Think about all sugar gunk sticking to a coil that is not getting enough power. That crackling is also preventing the mucky juice from sticking to the coil. There is a bit of balance with the power. To much and everything gets burned, to little and you get no vape.

IMHO...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It should be more a steaming sound than a crackle.
And what exactly is a steamy sound? :blink: Like a tea pot boiling and whistling? Never had that sound coming from any of my coils.

A few years ago when I was using cartomizers and cartotanks, I knew I had a great carto if it made a crackling sound.

The coils in clearomizer tanks used nowadays may or may not have that crackling sound. Most of the time they are relatively silent in my experience. The same holds true with the rebuildable coils in our RBA's.

I can't explain from a physics point of view what makes some coils crackle and others not crackle. I have a hunch that it doesn't really matter from a performance perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Letitia

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
This is interesting. I'm new to rebuilding, and give myself a pat on the back if I make something that doesn't crackle but vapes ok. I assumed it meant the wicking was decent? Worst case, crackle turns into spitback - is that about right?

I thought gurgle was down to flooding and/or loose wick and/or power too low?

TIA for any feedback.

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
This is interesting. I'm new to rebuilding, and give myself a pat on the back if I make something that doesn't crackle but vapes ok. I assumed it meant the wicking was decent? Worst case, crackle turns into spitback - is that about right?

I thought gurgle was down to flooding and/or loose wick and/or power too low?

TIA for any feedback.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Some juices will crakle some but usually it's just wicking and can be easily avoided in most attys. Flooding /gurgling is either wicking or a bad seal.

Reactions: My Batt Hurts

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
just depends...i mostly use drippers and it's hit and miss
some crackling is normal i'd think I mean after all you're heating up juice over a coil....kind of like flicking water into a hot pan to see if it's hot enough....
*giggles* @Baditude now i've had some whistling when vaping but that's my drip tip (usually a whistle tip :pervy: go figure) one was just the airflow on the atty ug that was annoying

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
A little crackle is ok, if it becomes excessive then it can become uncomfortable or cause juice to spit in your mouth hole. I've had builds that crackled so hard that it felt like my teeth were rattling. My conjecture is that spitting is caused by excessive juice on the coil.

Why does my atomizer crackle&pop and spit hot juice on my tongue? | E-Cigarette Forum

mMTWpPQ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread