Is it normal for my ohms to rise so quickly on my AGA-t2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginopr82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Pompano Beach, FL, USA
I just setup up a new wick and coil around 6 o'clock. My ohms were 1.1 now at 11:43 my ohms read at 1.2 to 1.3 on my provari and I'm sure it will continue to rise. I know the ohm will rise over time with use but already? Is this normal? At this rate by tomorrow night it will be around 1.5. Please inform me with your knowledge. I just got into rebuildables.

Last edited:

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
If it continues to rise I would be concerned. Not sure how hard you are vaping on it and what you are vaping. When residue, often called by the technical term,gunk, builds up on the coil it can cause a rise in resistance. Not really all that unusual to have a small variance in resistance, a cold coil will normally test higher than a warm one. You could check your connections and make sure that your coil wires are secure, a lose wire will cause resistance to fluctuate.

I'm sure others will be along with even better advice shortly.

Ginopr82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Pompano Beach, FL, USA
If it continues to rise I would be concerned. Not sure how hard you are vaping on it and what you are vaping. When residue, often called by the technical term,gunk, builds up on the coil it can cause a rise in resistance. Not really all that unusual to have a small variance in resistance, a cold coil will normally test higher than a warm one. You could check your connections and make sure that your coil wires are secure, a lose wire will cause resistance to fluctuate.

I'm sure others will be along with even better advice shortly.
When I vape I tend to chain vape at times

dhughey

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Memphis, TN
If it was a short, it would usually show 1.3 or whatever, then when you fire it, it will drop below 1ohm. So, it may just be showing up and down on the provari. I know my vamo will read the same coils within .1 of eachother. Yours may fluctuate, if it keeps going up, i would say a short somewhere maybe. Otherwise, it's like thesteve said, gunk (carbon buildup) could be causing it. You'll notice a layer will build up between the coil and wick over time.

Ginopr82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Pompano Beach, FL, USA
If it was a short, it would usually show 1.3 or whatever, then when you fire it, it will drop below 1ohm. So, it may just be showing up and down on the provari. I know my vamo will read the same coils within .1 of eachother. Yours may fluctuate, if it keeps going up, i would say a short somewhere maybe. Otherwise, it's like thesteve said, gunk (carbon buildup) could be causing it. You'll notice a layer will build up between the coil and wick over time.
I don't understand. How would I know what the ohms are when it fires. I thought the only way to read the ohms is having it fired to test. How could I test for a short. It doesn't seem to short.

dhughey

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Memphis, TN
I meant after you fire it, it would show low. I doubt there is a short, if so, it wouldn't fire more than a couple times on the provari. If there are no hotspots, and the wick isn't touching the bottom of the tank (it can touch on some rbas that are insulated, like an rsst) then it should be fine. If it continues to go up, i would empty the tank and reoxidize the wick by pulsing the coils a bit, or with a torch.

Ginopr82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Pompano Beach, FL, USA
I meant after you fire it, it would show low. I doubt there is a short, if so, it wouldn't fire more than a couple times on the provari. If there are no hotspots, and the wick isn't touching the bottom of the tank (it can touch on some rbas that are insulated, like an rsst) then it should be fine. If it continues to go up, i would empty the tank and reoxidize the wick by pulsing the coils a bit, or with a torch.
Ok I'll watch it. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread