Is it really possible to quit "ordinary smoking" by IQOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I started out with Vuse and stopped on it. It wasn't until many months later I moved over to "proper" vape gear. So yes, closed pods from BT can work. Expensive, and lousy flavor, but possible.

As to iqos supposedly yes, but availability in the US is pretty new, so I'm not sure how much experience exists for that. Probably best answered by someone in a county where it has a longer track record.

• Informative
Reactions: stols001

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Time will tell.

As we all know making the switch to vaping is not just a simple switch. It's a different experience. Bet most of us coughed quite a bit our first few vaping draws too. That can be a turn off to switching that it is not an exact experience replacement, but maybe it's also why it is easier to stay away from smokes once your brain makes that transition.

I don't know what is going to happen with IQOS. Perhaps being too much like a smoke, and being kind a hassle to use (cleaning required, puff count and timer in the back of the mind, needing to recharge the pen in the holder, butts to dispose of, just using it requires more manuals steps to light up then a smoke or a vaping rig, etc.), well I can see how people could eventually just give up on it and go back to smokes, especially if using the device costs about the same as smoking. That has been another advantage and incentive of vaping, affordable e-juice.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
In high-stakes votes, FDA advisors say evidence doesn't back Philip Morris' claims

iQOS may not be as harm-free as claimed, study finds

72729234_2768794689819525_7458736679789002752_o.jpg

71680817_2768794763152851_3520002539778998272_o.jpg

Last edited:

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
Believe it or not it's possible to quit by just not smoking anymore.

Who cares?

I edited this post to clarify--this is sarcasm, directed in a teasing way to Don29palms, who has been doing this himself every since Rudy Giuliani's statement about vaping. I now changed this to green, in honor of zoid.

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I am just wondering if you can really stop smoking with one of the the closed pod systems of Big-T.
Is anybody here who has quit smoking with IQOS (or something similar), or do you know such one?

Hi and welcome,
I have a friend that has been using the Iqos for over a year now.
He claims to have not smoked since he began with the unit.
It charges like a cell phone and the Heet sticks are available from the same tobacco store where he always bought his cigarettes. No need to break your routine.
The Heets last about as long as a regular cigarette and the .... needs to be tossed, as you do now.
From the feedback I have solicited, it was a very easy transition because it is very similar to smoking.

Best of luck
I

I was never able to to quit that way.

I needed a substitute.

Cheers
I

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Maybe easy for you to say. For me it wasn't...for 10 years. I smoked 35 years, the last ten helplessly trying to quit.

I tried cold turkey, nic gum, nic patches, Wellbutrin, and hypnosis. First time vaping (dual user) I quit smoking a week later by weening off the cigs and increasing the vape. I'm proudly smoke free for over 7 years and cut my nic down from 18 down to 3.

Last edited:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Maybe easy for you to say. For me it wasn't...for 10 years. I tried cold turkey, nic gum, nic patches, Wellbutrin, and hypnosis. First time vaping (dual user) I quit smoking a week later by weening off the cigs and increasing the vape. I'm proudly smoke free for over 7 years and cut my nic down from 18 down to 3.

Similar story here, with minor variations, I would bet most of us followed a similar path.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Much as i'm not a fan of 'heat not burn' tobacco products, i couldn't help notice in that report that the same old 'no evidence that they're less harmful than cigarettes' line is being trotted out.
Obviously there's no evidence yet but common sense and logic strongly suggests that these are less harmful than conventional cigarettes.
As for switching from conventional gaspers to IQOS type products, i havn't come across anyone who has (disclaimer - I've also never seen these products for sale or being used).

Edit - okay i've just googled IQOS and it appears that reports are stating that both smoke and tar are produced when used. The general consensus is HEETS are marginally better than smoking but a lot more harmful than vaping. I'll continue to research this because i hate being ignorant.....

Last edited:

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
IQOS is not a device to help you quit, it is a device made to help you keep using tobacco products. While it's possible to quit with the device, I think the same person could quit traditional cigarettes if that was their goal. I just don't think the intent of Phillip Morris is to have people quit, but rather to continue using tobacco products.

I went to the official Phillip Morris IQOS site and there was no mention of using this product for smoking cessation. Of course like vaping, the FDA has prohibited the use of that type of marketing and language or even inferring that. That would be illegal to do despite evidence to the contrary, at least in the case of vaping. It would defeat the war on nicotine to know vaping is the #1 most effective method of smoking cessation that's been tried to date. So allowing another completely different method of "smoking" to use this claim would be to undermine all the effort and money wasted on the nicotine war.

So while it is possible to quit nicotine with IQOS, I don't think it would be any more effective than traditional cessation methods (cold turkey) and much less effective than vaping. I do believe however, that the IQOS is a device that was created to keep people using tobacco products.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The thing with IQOS is if you want to stop using them, you have to reduce the number of sticks you heat/smoke per day. Just like reducing your cigarette count to wean off. We all know how well that usually turns out.

At least with vaping you can drop the nic concentration over time while maintaining the ritual and hand to mouth habit of smoking. You can even go to 0 mg nic and stay there, or stop vaping. The IQOS system offers you no off ramp from using their tobacco, short of back to gums, patches, and the like. It seems more like a last ditch path to something that might/possibly/conceivably be marginally healthier than cigarettes for someone who's failed everything, including vaping. But It's not a cessation product, and it's just keeping you their long term customer.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Maybe easy for you to say. For me it wasn't...for 10 years. I tried cold turkey, nic gum, nic patches, Wellbutrin, and hypnosis. First time vaping (dual user) I quit smoking a week later by weening off the cigs and increasing the vape. I'm proudly smoke free for over 7 years and cut my nic down from 18 down to 3.
My point was that yes you can quit smoking with many different ways.

Bahiaboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2011
London/Alicante
I have an IQOS however it is nothing at all like Vaping I occasionally have a go with it then it goes back in the drawer for a couple of months ! I have friends who smoke who actually use the IQos because it enables them to “Smoke” in places where smoking is banned ! I would say it does work but Vaping works better !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread