Is it really risky to own a full mech mod without any circuit protections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfurton

Moved On
Sep 4, 2012
Manila
Hey, I've been reading on Reddit that Full-mech Mods are dangerous because the battery might collapse and it may harm my health if that happens.

I don't really mind about these batteries at all. i have 3 batteries. One protected Panasonic 18650 battery, Two IMR 18350 batteries. When one of the battery gets weak, I charge them and use the other batteries that I have. It's like a cycle of switching off batteries..

I don't have multimeter to tests these batteries, although i plan on buying one because of the comments that i have read.

What are the dangers anyway? My only E-Cig is a Telescope mod made by Sigelei. It has air vents but when I'm using 18350 batts the air vents are covered because of the shorter length of the battery.

Will these batteries explode if I don't pay careful attention to these batteries?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Your Sigelei doesn't have 2 holes on the sides of the bottom Cap? Mine does. Also the upper holes will vent through the threads. Thread pattern is loose on a Sigelei.

I use Pani and IMR batteries and have no issues. A Meter can Help diagnose battery/device issues but your Vape experience should tell you when performance is falling off - Time to charge.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
batteries are dangerous period !! the ones with the PCB are just as dangerous as one without a PCB

PCB and protected devices only prevent over discharge of the battery which would ruin the mod

the actual inside of the battery has no protection what so ever

That's not exactly correct. They shutdown on an over-amp condition too. (Like a short). If you have one that doesn't...don't use it (see specs.)

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
That's not exactly correct. They shutdown on an over-amp condition too. (Like a short). If you have one that doesn't...don't use it (see specs.)

over discharge and over amps would be the same thing !!more discharge of electrical current then the battery was designed to handle

Stephenst4470

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Detroit, Mi
casaa.org
That's really not correct, over discharge shuts the device off when battery voltage gets below 3.2v, so it doesn't ruin the capacity of the battery, over amp shuts off in a high current situation that could possibly result in a catastrophic battery failure/explosion. They are two totally different protection circuits.

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
That's really not correct, over discharge shuts the device off when battery voltage gets below 3.2v, so it doesn't ruin the capacity of the battery, over amp shuts off in a high current situation that could possibly result in a catastrophic battery failure/explosion. They are two totally different protection circuits.

only if it has a PCB and that the PCB itself is not shorted out

rfurton

Moved On
Sep 4, 2012
Manila
Ok. I checked a Youtube video on how to tell if my battery is protected. It seems like my 18650 is not protected. Please take a look battery experts if my batt is protected or not. I'm going to return this to the seller if this isn't protected because I specifically told him that I want the protected one!

FmCzmfU.jpg

duy4RWI.jpg

F4g1vJ2.jpg

I can't feel the PCB in the negative side of the battery..

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Not all batteries are created equal. And because a battery is "PROTECTED" does not mean it is entirely safe from a mishap occuring.

Case in point: I had a 14500 mod that I was using a protected battery in. I had tossed the mod into a pants pocket in my locker, and the fire button got compressed. The battery overheated, vented very hot gasses melting the plastic covering, and blew out the end caps. I consider that "exploded".

The mod did do as it was designed and vented the hot gases through the power switch, but I needed to get that replaced. This could have caused a fire, with my pants being the object of destruction. As I said, this was a protected battery:

Trustfire2.jpg

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
only if it has a PCB and that the PCB itself is not shorted out

Yeah.... but now you're discussing "what happens if protection fails". It's a valid discussion, but not the point.

You're correct that there is no battery that's completely safe. But we're discussing what to use in an all-mech mod.

Protected or IMR, for example. And like I said...check the specs. If the battery doesn't have short protection (over amps) don't use it.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Not all batteries are created equal. And because a battery is "PROTECTED" does not mean it is entirely safe from a mishap occuring.

Case in point: I had a 14500 mod that I was using a protected battery in. I had tossed the mod into a pants pocket in my locker, and the fire button got compressed. The battery overheated, vented very hot gasses melting the plastic covering, and blew out the end caps. I consider that "exploded".

The mod did do as it was designed and vented the hot gases through the power switch, but I needed to get that replaced. This could have caused a fire, with my pants being the object of destruction. As I said, this was a protected battery:

View attachment 178495

I'm Surprised!

Did you have an atty/carto on it? (so there was a load within amp range...just a long continuous drain at max amps?) And it vented? Do you know what ohm the load was?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm Surprised!

Did you have an atty/carto on it? (so there was a load within amp range...just a long continuous drain at max amps?) And it caught fire?

Yes, a cartotank was attached.

I now only use AW brand, IMR batteries in all of my mods. I no longer trust any battery with the name "trust" in it.

EDIT: What I meant to say above in my last sentence, I no longer trust any battery with the name "fire" in it, as MorpheusPA states below. Let me add, yes this incident came about because of my user error. I should have unscrewed the atty attachment enough to break electrical connection to have prevented the above incident from happening altogether. But honestly, how often do we put our mod into our pocket without disabling it's electrical circuit in real life? Probably not ever.

Last edited:

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der

View attachment 178495

I'm Surprised!

Did you have an atty/carto on it? (so there was a load within amp range...just a long continuous drain at max amps?) And it vented? Do you know what ohm the load was?

guess i didn't explain it well enough ?? but this is what i am talking about.no amount of PCB or cent fuses are going to prevent what happened here
the battery itself failed ,protection could not prevent it

Yes, a cartotank was attached.

I now only use AW brand, IMR batteries in all of my mods. I no longer trust any battery with the name "trust" in it.

With their poor performances, I've fired every battery with the name "fire" in it, personally. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread