Is it "required* that I use an RBA on a mechanical mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaTownLassy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Seattle, WA USA
Hi all. I've slowly been upgrading my vaping over the past year (cigalikes to eGos to VV/VW) and recently got a few mechanicals. I did a video review on youtube of my Kamry K101, and had a carto on the K101 during the video. Someone commented "cartos on a mechanical is a complete waste of a perfectly good mod...."The comment darn near made me wonder if I wasn't "following mandatory vape rules" or something. LOL. :)So I had to wonder....

"Is it a "requirement" that RBA's or fancy tanks be used on mechanical?"

I do want to get into wrapping my own coils someday, but want to research a lot more and learn more from you folks here at ECF and YouTube before jumping into it in a rush to get with the program. But is it absolutely necessary that rba's and fancy atty's be used on mechs?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
No!
Hell, it came with a carto didn't it?? I know my K100 did, and it's designed for a carto..
OK, Let's put it this way.. Use what you want on them!
I have an MT3S on a KTS...
An X8 tank on my K100
A Vivi RBA Tank on my Bolt
a ST Pyrex DCT on my Vamo..
And cartos for back up everywhere ;)

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
1) There's a "fad" out there with RBA stuff and SLR vaping (Super Low Resistance, or Sub LR) that's promoting building coils on RBA's and promoting the sale of mech-mods at the same time. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that it's there.
2) So you see a lot of "opinion" about it and mech mods. There's also the "doomsday prepper I can rebuild it" logic that says all-mech is superior. So you see a lot of that too. They have to build coils too, so they need RBA.

Anyway. What do you think they did "in the old days" when RBA's didn't really exist? (well, weren't purchasable) They used the proper ohm regular old stock cartos.

Some swear by RBA's and SLR as "Oh wow dude! Greatest vape on the planet!". But in all seriousness, that doesn't mean you can't get a great vape from a standard atomizer or carto.

You do have to realize, RBA or stock, the unit will follow battery voltage. That starts off at 4.2 volts, but quickly drops down to 3.7/3.6 range and stays mostly in that range until it quickly drops off to "cut off voltage". This is the nature of unregulated voltage, not the coil type.

So you want a coil that will work well around 3.7 volts. That's usually around 2.0 ohms for most vapers. YMMV.

All mech mods can handle higher amps too. That's particularly nice for dual coil stuff. However, it's hard to get the ohms in the right range for the 3.7 v battery. Hence the tendency for RBA's. If you ever find 1.0 ish ohm dual coils in stock stuff...great. Get it. That would be two 2.0 ohm coils. Or a 1.25 Ω DCC would be two 2.5 ohm coils.

Anyway, in the end, it's just supplying power to the coil. If you like the carto, you like the carto. You can't adjust the power though, so you have to get the proper ohms.

skyztheLynnit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
Hi all. I've slowly been upgrading my vaping over the past year (cigalikes to eGos to VV/VW) and recently got a few mechanicals. I did a video review on youtube of my Kamry K101, and had a carto on the K101 during the video.
ohh can you post a link? I would love to watch it!

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
Hi all. I've slowly been upgrading my vaping over the past year (cigalikes to eGos to VV/VW) and recently got a few mechanicals. I did a video review on youtube of my Kamry K101, and had a carto on the K101 during the video. Someone commented "cartos on a mechanical is a complete waste of a perfectly good mod...."The comment darn near made me wonder if I wasn't "following mandatory vape rules" or something. LOL. :)So I had to wonder....

I do want to get into wrapping my own coils someday, but want to research a lot more and learn more from you folks here at ECF and YouTube before jumping into it in a rush to get with the program. But is it absolutely necessary that rba's and fancy atty's be used on mechs?

Of course not! You'll remember that up until recently mechs were the only mods there were and they seriously predate RBAs/ Tanks and all these other newer innovations. I still drip on my mech cause I won't do the flavor for convenience trade of a tank and haven't gotten around to building a bottom feeder yet.

SeaTownLassy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Seattle, WA USA

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Thanks for all the input, folks! The vape I get from my cartos is actually very satisfying, so I wondered why a commenter on my review would say that cartos are "old hat" or "less than desireable". :)

Because they are a snob?? LOL

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
Tanks are you friend :) Saying that I also have an RBA sitting here I haven't had time to set up yet, but I have had others.

So, my final answer is, the choice is yours. I like tanks for work and other outdoor activities, or when I don't have time to fuss with an RBA. On the other hand, I am determined to find some enjoyment from the RBA.

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass

My mech is comin soon and im slappin the Protank or my Smok UDCT right on that sucker

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
I don't mean to be a hater, OP, but why is it that so many people try to become youtube reviewers? Boggles me. Just don't be a pouty know-it-all like jwest i guess.

In any case the k10x mechs ship with that special drip shield and a cartos so i don't know why they're hating. I'm a fan of mechanicals because i am one of thise doomsday prepper people myself. The whole point, as far as i am concerned, is that i can put WHATEVER THE HELL I WANT ON IT. Sure i like RBAs, mostly phoenix styles, but i'll throw a carto tank on it or even my vivi nova if there is still juice in it when i get home from school. So screw the critics, they are vaping haterade. And the OMG ULTRA SUB OHM crowd seem to me to largely be composed of those ridiculous people who feel the need to be competitive about every single thing ever.

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
I don't mean to be a hater, OP, but why is it that so many people try to become youtube reviewers? Boggles me. Just don't be a pouty know-it-all like jwest i guess.

In any case the k10x mechs ship with that special drip shield and a cartos so i don't know why they're hating. I'm a fan of mechanicals because i am one of thise doomsday prepper people myself. The whole point, as far as i am concerned, is that i can put WHATEVER THE HELL I WANT ON IT. Sure i like RBAs, mostly phoenix styles, but i'll throw a carto tank on it or even my vivi nova if there is still juice in it when i get home from school. So screw the critics, they are vaping haterade. And the OMG ULTRA SUB OHM crowd seem to me to largely be composed of those ridiculous people who feel the need to be competitive about every single thing ever.

Easy Tex...LOL...i just started getting into sub low ohms and i can verify they are amazing,i was vaping on my Vamo with 1.2 ohms and thats all good,but i find the taste and vapour way better on a mech with ohms below 1.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread