Is it safe to carry Vape in pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knoxed

Nov 26, 2017
Hello, I’m fairly new to vaping. Picked it up to quit cigarettes. I picked up the “alien 220w” made by smok about a week ago. Would this be safe to carry inside a pocket? I work as a first responder and that’s where I picked up the cigarette habit and only smoked at work, recently I’ve noticed everytime I’m at work I crave a cigarette but never at home. We wear cargo pants and I was wondering if it’d be ok to put it in a pocket with nothing else? Just worried about the lithium batteries. I also have a joytech ego aio I’m not currently using because I need new coils but would that better option to carry at work?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Lock the mod or turn off before carrying in your pocket. This will prevent firing of the mod from pressure and movement. Keep it in pocket with nothing else yes. The batteries should be fine inside the mod. Don't carry loose batteries in pockets though. Always carry extra batteries if that applies in Plastic storage cases to protect them.

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Hello, I’m fairly new to vaping. Picked it up to quit cigarettes. I picked up the “alien 220w” made by smok about a week ago. Would this be safe to carry inside a pocket? I work as a first responder and that’s where I picked up the cigarette habit and only smoked at work, recently I’ve noticed everytime I’m at work I crave a cigarette but never at home. We wear cargo pants and I was wondering if it’d be ok to put it in a pocket with nothing else? Just worried about the lithium batteries. I also have a joytech ego aio I’m not currently using because I need new coils but would that better option to carry at work?
Technically they are both lithium batteries. I would probably be more worried about juice leaking in my pants than the battery in my mod as long as you have it turned off and dont hit the fire button accidentally, But they have a cut off safety even if you did. Plenty of people carry mods in their pockets

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
I have had the Alien's battery door come open after using it for a few months. Obviously that is a concern. The other thing that the Alien will do is if a very long 510 pin is connected the positive 510 connector in the mod can become dislodged from it's proper position. To date every time this has happened that I have heard of the mod will read "atomizer short" and will not go into self destruct mode. Again, another concern. I do carry mods in pockets but usually vest pockets where I am reasonably sure I will not subject them to physical trauma. I have a tendency to bump my legs against things so I don't use pants pockets. It's good you are concerned as the batteries are very powerful and nasty little baggers when shorted out. I sense just from your concern you will be able to use common sense and avoid problems.

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Hello and welcome to ECF! You have received great advice so far. Personally, I would carry my simple joytech ego aio in a pocket but also have my other mod etc in my 'call out' kit. I have been a first reponder for 30+ years - you never know how long you will be on a job, or where you are going to end up......:ohmy:
Catherine

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
"The ones that are dangerous to carry are mechs with protruding fire buttons."
upload_2017-11-30_12-56-32.jpeg

Yup, like this one. I had a battery explode in this mod back in 2012 when I put it in a pants pocket. Continuous pressure on the fire button caused the battery to quickly over-discharge and "kaboom!" I was fortunate that my pants were in a work locker and I was not wearing them at the time.

Nearly all mod explosions occur with mechanical mods when the battery shorts out. A torn insulator wrap on the battery or a coil short in the atomizer can cause the battery to hard short. A majority of battery explosions occur when a user transports loose batteries in a pocket or purse and they come into contact with keys or coins. "Hybrid" or direct battery mech mods have an increased risk to cause a hard short if the atomizer in use does not have a special extended 510 center pin.

Recessed fire buttons are a plus on mechanical mods, as well as those mods that have a locking feature for the fire button. If not, removing either the battery or the atomizer will break the electrical circuit; transport loose batteries in a plastic battery case. Regulated mods generally have multiple protection circuitry such as a timed auto-cutoff (10 - 15 seconds) of the fire button, the ability to turn the mod off electrically (usually 5 clicks), and hard short protection.

With all said, there is no battery which is totally "safe". Just know what you are doing at all times, don't be careless, and always practice safe battery practices.

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Not a good idea if something unforeseen occurs. I would keep it close by on any calls, but not on my person in an emergency. Just picture yourself explaining your decision to your boss it something happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread