Is it safe to cover airflow holes with tape, or to paint an rda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
Two questions but I felt it isn't worth posting two separate threads.

1) I like quite restricted airflow and many dual coil devices try to pretend to have a single coil option (just get something else!!) by having three airflow holes on the outside of the top cap. With some of my reload clones this means that the airflow can't be closed down further than about 1/3 open and ideally I'd like it a tiny bit less open. To solve this I've put a bit of tape covering that 3rd airflow hole. Is this safe?

2) On one of my reload clones the paint has almost entirely peeled off, is it possible to put any kind of paint on this? I wouldn't paint the inside at all and from googling the question most answers are just "why risk it?" Well, it doesn't affect its functioning as an rda, but I can't see how painting the outside would cause health risks - I'd just rather see if anyone has any information for me before I try it out.

Reactions: stols001

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I don't see why putting tape over the airflow holes would be a problem as long as the outside of the atomizer doesn't get really hot.

Manufacturers paint them, so as long as you don't use a paint that cannot handle heat, I don't see much of an issue with that either. I would use a heat resistant grill paint myself. If it is good enough to paint something I cook on, it is good enough for an atomizer.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll look into a heat resistant paint :)

No problem about closing down the air at all. As to paint, I suppose a high-heat engine paint might be safely used, but why risk it? Instead, peel all the paint off, whip out your rusty Dremel tool and polish the cover.

I really, really hate the look of steel quite simply

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll look into a heat resistant paint :)

I really, really hate the look of steel quite simply

If you must paint I'd suggest something like this, https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...-n-bake-durabake-finishing-kit-prod45119.aspx
Baked so any gassing at vaping temperatures should be taken care of in the oven and supposed to withstand abuse.

If you can find any black oxide for DIY use on stainless that would be the way to go.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yeah you can tape over an airhole or block it somehow if you want. It probably won't look great but I am all about function over form, so hey, whatever works out.

Yes you can paint the outside of anything should you desire, however, again, how super fantastic it looks is really going to depend on the right paint for the job and etc. And, it will likely flake again most likely but if it bugs you the way it is I don't see any health risk as long as you make sure none gets inside.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: entropy1049

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I've plugged some holes with papier mache, a mixture of paper pulp and white vinyl glue. You can shape it any way you want, let it dry and vape. Thing it's not permanent. It'll wash off eventually.
For more permanent plugging I've used 2 component epoxy putty, the kind you use to plug a pipe. Once completely dry it won't move and won't yield. I don't know how safe it is, but once dry it's plastic. I don't have a brand, here it's sold for all kinds of applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread