Is it safe to still use my Reo after the body is cracking from a year of heavy use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronY

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Santa Monica
After a year of heavy use the aluminum is crack where my hands hold it. More pictures can be viewed here. Just curious if it is still safe to use or I need to treat it some how. Thanks
photo+copy+3.JPG

AaronY

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Santa Monica
Hi Aaron :)
Nice to see you again. So I gotta ask...was that the tumbled aluminum?...as in not anodized?
I don't think it was the tumbled aluminum. It was like this one. but with a blue door on silver.

Good lord, how on earth did you manage that? That thing looks like you rest it in acid while you sleep. lol
That is why I am asking if it is safe to use. I have been holding it for most of the day for over a year. The staining from holding it started chipping. Think I am near 100k hours of use. I am really impressed with it. I already signed up to get notified to get another. I have 3 other mods but I prefer to use the reo grand. Just figured I should make sure it is still safe to use.

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA
I don't think it was the tumbled aluminum. It was like this one. but with a blue door on silver.

That is why I am asking if it is safe to use. I have been holding it for most of the day for over a year. The staining from holding it started chipping. Think I am near 100k hours of use. I am really impressed with it. I already signed up to get notified to get another. I have 3 other mods but I prefer to use the reo grand. Just figured I should make sure it is still safe to use.
I'm sure it's ok. You should check out Serenity gear. They make covers for the Reo so you could get a lot more usage out of it.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com

I really don't think any of us can say if it is safe for you to use. That does not look like normal wear from use.

To me it looks like your hands produce something that reacts with the aluminum. That would be a problem that would be better addressed with a doctor.

A cover can be used so your hand is not making direct contact. I make covers and offer them free if you would be interested in one.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/337537-me-you.html

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Amazing, simply amazing!!! Especially as anodizing is used to protect all kinds of aluminum gear from elements. Do you handle REO when you have chemicals on your hands? If so hope you are wearing protective gloves like latex or vinyl or leather.

I think all the suggestions above are good choices, too. Nerak's covers do offer protection and hide blemishes. And they don't add much weight or bulk.

Feisty Alice

AaronY

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Santa Monica

I really don't think any of us can say if it is safe for you to use. That does not look like normal wear from use.

To me it looks like your hands produce something that reacts with the aluminum. That would be a problem that would be better addressed with a doctor.

A cover can be used so your hand is not making direct contact. I make covers and offer them free if you would be interested in one.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/337537-me-you.html
Your cover is amazing. Thanks so much. Will post a pic soon. Just recovered from a terrible head and chest cold so it should be soon. The cover fits perfectly and feels nice. It is great. I am still going to order another reo soon because this mod last for ever but with what is going down in my state I might need a back up incase I can't get one in 5 years.

AaronY

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Santa Monica
I dont have this issue but my body react with Metal watches and electronic key fobs I kill them just by wearing them Do you by chance work with copper or salt or stainless steels ? any of those can react with the aluminium
nope I am a digital video editor. But it might just be the salt or something else from my sweat. I am strange that way. Using a nerak cover now and it is great. I will polish it and repait once I get another reo :p Thanks for that suggestion.

Last edited:

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
nope I am a digital video editor. But it might just be the salt or something else from my sweat. I am strange that way. Using a nerak cover now and it is great. I will polish it and repait once I get another reo :p Thanks for that suggestion.

Glad its still working for you Looks like you are trying to compete with me for the most beat up Reo one of mine has been run over by a car dropped Fallen in the toilet you name it Ive beaten mine :lol: but it keeps on working thats all that matters to me

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
Dear god, that poor Reo! Someone call Mod Protective Services on him!

You can try some Serenity Gear leather skins, or make one. Serenity ones looked too thick and rough for me, so I made one. Stole an old purse from the wife, dissected it, and sewn together.
IMAG0196.jpg

Err, I should take more recent pictures. This one I had to remake -- my first attempt came out a bit crooked, even after shrinking it.
There
IMAG0237.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread