Is it safe to use different tank on Smok Priv V8 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuff76

Feb 2, 2018
Hi everyone,

I've been sub ohming for about 6 Months now, so still a bit of a newbie.

Using a Smok Alien 220w with the TFV8 Baby Beast tank, alternating with an Aspire Cleito tank.

I have just bought a Smok Priv V8, which seems great for its size.

This little Priv also comes with a TFV8 Baby Beast tank that I am accustomed to(that was part of the attraction), but I notice that instead of the normal 0.4 Q2 Coils, it came with 2 x M2 Coils which are 0.25 ohm.

The Priv does not have a display or changeable wattage, I believe it automatically runs between 45-60w depending on the coil resistance.

My question is this:

Can I use my other tanks on this little mod? Or could I encounter problems?

Both other tanks are using 0.4 ohm coils.

I have tried them both and they do both work, but am just a bit worried that it might be the wrong power output and could damage the Priv mod or something.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers
Chuff

Reactions: stols001

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I haven't kept up on batteries in the last couple of weeks, but I don't think the big 3 make 35 amp 18650 batteries. Rewraps can print anything on the label, so you could easily have 10 amp batteries labeled 35. Stick to batteries made by a company that also makes TVs from a reputable vendor. I like liion wholesale.
57a.jpg

Advice of the day. "Stick to batteries made by a company that also makes TVs..."

I agree that Efest sells overrated batteries. That said, the Efest LUC chargers are great.

BoogaWu

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Lakewood, CO
I haven't kept up on batteries in the last couple of weeks, but I don't think the big 3 make 35 amp 18650 batteries. Rewraps can print anything on the label, so you could easily have 10 amp batteries labeled 35. Stick to batteries made by a company that also makes TVs from a reputable vendor. I like liion wholesale.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The SMOK Priv V8 is a fixed-output mechanical mod with some electronics added such as some protection circuitry and a built-in USB charger. Recommended battery is the Sony VTC5A 75 amp 2500mah battery. Battery life will depend upon the coil resistance you have; lower ohm coils will be more draining than higher ohm coils.

You should be able to use any tank you wish on your SMOK Priv.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have got EFEST 3000mAh 35A batteries, and also some Fogstar 3500mAh 10A

The Efests are a re-wrap battery. Only 20 amps. Efest is notorious for exagerating their amp ratings. Read the blog:

• Learn what a rewrap cell is. If you are using rebranded cells, does that mean it is inferior, poor quality, or even dangerous? Which batteries are suspected to be rebranded batteries?
The Fogstar is only a 10 amp battery. Stop using them. They are for flashlights, not vaporizers.

Again, not to be rude, but you really need to educate yourself about batteries for vaping. You also need to learn a little about Ohm's Law.

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
  • For those who want to learn the differences between IMR, IMR/hybrid, ICR, and LiPo batteries. What do those numbers and letters on batteries mean? What's an amp rating and why is it more important than the mAh rating when choosing a battery for vaping?
Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
  • As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Recently revised to be even more simple. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.

Last edited:

BoogaWu

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Lakewood, CO
From what I know fogstar is a decent retailer (I'm not in the UK) but they don't make their own batteries, they rewrap also. There are actually 10 amp 3500 mah batteries made, so I would believe the ratings on those at least. (Not to contradict Bad, no idea on the batts and he's probably right, we post at the same time)
Rewraps are when efest buys a batch of batteries, peells the factory wraps off and puts their own wraps on. No way for us to tell what the batts they bought are. Beware avoid efest.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
As I got more knowledgeable about vaping I have to say, I became retroactively terrified at practices I had engaged in in the past. :)

With that said, yes, it's really buyer beware on many things vape. Sadly, some vape shops are really looking for a fast buck (or not knowledgeable enough themselves) that they will often carry and sell dangerous equipment. If I really needed a battery, I'd almost be tempted to go get a recycled one than buy one from a vape store (not that I would do either).

The good news is, for the most part, given the amount of vaping that happens, most accidents and problems you do really have to work hard to achieve, although it is achievable. MOST times, a poorly rated battery in a REGULATED mod will simply refuse to fire.... unless and until it becomes so stressed that bad things happen. Some mods are overrated, and promise a "highest wattage" board that no authentic battery can achieve.

Just keep asking questions until you feel knowledgeable enough to proceed. With the proper care and equipment (which includes batteries and chargers) vaping really is perfectly safe. It's just a learning curve until you get there. ECF is a great place to be for that.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
.... Is this industry not regulated ?

Okay so keep the Fogstars and ditch the efest - Get Sony or Samsung ?
No, ditch the Fogstars; not a vaping battery and only 10 amps means they are pratically useless for vaping. For an unregulated/mechanical mod, you need a bare minimum 15 amps; preferably 20 - 25 amps.

The Efests are "ok", just understand they are not as powerful as advertised. Only 20 amps.

No, the battery industry is not regulated. The vast majority of 18650 batteries are made by the Big Three in Japan or Korea -- Lg, Samsung, and Sony. They are trustworthy manufacturers whose advertised specs you can trust.

Not all batteries are created equal, and go through a quality control process. The upper crust get sold to auto manufacturers and OEM power tool manufacturers. The lower quality batteries are sold on the open market to aftermarket suppliers (re-wrappers) who tear off the original plastic, re-wrap the cells with their own brand, and usually advertise over-rated specifications.

There are a few Chinese battery manufacturers (Trustfire, Surefire, et al), but they are generally lesser quality batteries and also over-rate their specifications.

Important to know that Lg, Samsung, and Sony manufacturers do not like that we are using them in our e-cigarettes.

sony-battery-jpg.529035

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Battery safety is something we kind of push here, and Moochs blog is a wealth of information. He also has a YouTube channel if you do better learning that way, I think his name is Battery Mooch there. Spend an afternoon learning and save some teeth, cheers!

Mooch's Battery Blog

BoogaWu

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Lakewood, CO
"But this is not a high performance “power” cell, designed for high current. It is a high capacity “energy” cell designed for low to moderate power levels and long running time. At higher current levels the voltage sag and power loss in the cell are huge. Do not exceed 20A."
Quoted directly from Elvis's link

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Obviously you didn't read or understand the link I provided.
Mooch dedicates an enormous amount of time & energy to battery testing for vaping use & relays accurate information free of charge to the community.
He is a reputable trusted & accurate source for battery information.

I have actual authentic vtc6 data sheets directly from SED.
If you have in your possession a data sheet showing a vtc6 as a 30a CDR cell it is one of the many manipulated versions.
There is no such thing as a 3000mah 30a CDR 18650 cell.

You are giving false possibly dangerous information.

The vtc 6 is not a 30a CDR cell and should never be pushed past 20a.

I urge everyone to read the link I provided and to always refer to & rely on Mooch's cell tests.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have got some decent branded batteries, the same as I use in the Alien(but only one of them rather than two) it looks like they are 35Amp - Do you think they will be okay?
Dude, not to be rude but you really gotta do better than that. What does "decent branded batteries" mean? Be specific to brand name and model number.

There are no 18650 batteries which are over 30 amps. "35Amp" batteries sound like they are a re-wrap and are not what you think they are.

Look at this list of batteries to see what their true amp rating is. List of Battery Tests

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
My goodness, so glad I came across this topic. Just got my local shop vendor on the phone, he told me that he sold me VTC 6 Sony batteries. According to him, they should be able to deliver up to 30 amp for my revenger.

So relieved !!!

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

The Sony vtc6 is a 15a/20a cell, it is not capable of providing more than 20a safely. And only 20a if cell temp is monitored & kept below 80c at all times.
Your local vape shop is misinformed, confused or doesn't know what they're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread