Is it safe to Vape indoors around my kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
No. You don't absorb all of the nicotine inhaled with e-cigarettes. Much of the remaining nicotine is exhaled. Use an e-cigarette with the same cautions you would use smoking a cigarette.

I know, your exhaled vapor contains only water vapor, nicotine and flavorings and not any of the hundreds of toxic and carcinogenic ingredients of tobacco smoke. Still, nicotine alone is a reduced risk ingredient, not a safe ingredient as it has harmful neurological and cardiopulmonary properties.

Reduce risk from smoking for yourself but do not expose others to the risk of nicotine without their approval. Kids and pets: they don't know enough about the risk of nicotine to give their approval.

Last edited:

fray

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
arkansas
www.ejoose.com
A good bit of what is exhaled is flavoring and water. Some pg and a negligible amount of nic.

I don't vape around my kids. Personal choice because if psychological reasons as well as the off chance there is a health issue. I DO vape indoors when they are not around or in bed.

Maybe go better safe than sorry?

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
Relative to blowing cigarette smoke in their faces, it's safe.

But safe in an absolute sense? That I can't answer.

The key phrase attached to vaping is harm reduction, as opposed to harmless. A very few have reported pets and small children to exhibit some minor respiratory reactions to exhaled vapor.

However microscopic the risk of vaping, I take it only upon myself—even though the risk of second-hand vapor is infinitesimal.

Frank NJ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
NJ
Hi Andy could you send me some links if you have them on this topic? I dont vape right next to them usually in a different room. I've been experimenting with different juices and my wife says 2 of them are making the house smell lol ... One is the Java Mint from V4L and the other is gorilla juice. When she told me that it set off the alarm .. ohoh is it bad for the kids to be exposed even if I'm in a different room in the house...

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
My main concern would be more along the lines of "monkey see, monkey do"!

Both my mom and my gramps smoked when I was young, I got my first smokes from them.
They were easy to sneak the odd one. As I got older I'd take the occasional pack outta gramps' carton.

Call me a monkey if you like, but all kids are little monkies.IMO.

CHEERS:vapor::vapor:

imsoenthused

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
One of the regulars on here had his parrot that sits in the same room where he vapes tested to see if second hand vapor was affecting it. Birds are many times more prone to absorbing things from the air than human beings. The bird didn't even test positive for trace nicotine, but did test positive for contaminants from vehicle exhaust in his suburban neighborhood outside. Basically, the canary in the coal mine says it's absolutely fine, but if it makes you uncomfortable don't do it. Me, I'll happily blow vapor at children all day long.

Edit: that last line was a joke, just realized I probably better make that clear since I don't want any angry accusations that I'm blowing vapor rings down into baby strollers. I don't feel any problem vaping arround children, but I'm not actively trying to blow it in their direction.

Last edited:

takirb

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2012
SC
My wife and I do. We have an 18 month old daughter, and never smoked inside the house. I don't worry too much about making any mental impression on her just by seeing us smoke (on the porch) or vape in the house. Not like she's never gonna see someone do it. I can't give all the calculated data and research on whether it's 100% safe or harmful, but i've read alot online (search google) and made my decision. We'll vape in the living room, kitchen, open area places like that around my daughter and i think it's fine. We'll even vape in the car with our daughter, but we both take extra precaution to blow the vapor out the window. I'd never vape in a confined space with her, nor if i'm even holding her. I only have 1 juice (MBV RY4) that leaves an "aftersmell", and I make sure not to vape that around her at all. I guess that's just a mental thing with me though, if no one can smell it, and can't see if after a few minutes, then I feel more comfortable with it.

Sharktank

Apr 12, 2012
Pa
My daughter was the biggest reason why I quit smoking. I always smoked outside and away from her and I still felt guilty. Since I started vaping I do vape indoors but always in my office and not in her face. Good, bad, or ugly i think I would wait a few years to see the results of vaping before I would subject a family members to the vapers. I've only been vaping for three months but that my thoughts. Good luck and keep on vaping!

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Sharktank, I think you make perfectly good sense.

The only study I've seen about pets and nicotine concerns dogs and cats. There are many articles about his stemming from the same study. Here are some links.

Nicotine Toxicity in Cats - Page 1

Nicotine Toxicity in Dogs - Page 1

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_nicotine_poisoning_in_pets.html

Effects of nicotine on electrocortical activity and acetylcholine release from the cat cerebral cortex

So, studies haven't been done on the effects of exhaled nicotine vapor on pets or children, but common sense dictates that caution in this regard is well advised.

I want to use vaping to:

1. Eliminate toxic tobacco tar from my body and that of my loved ones.
2. Eliminate nicotine from my body and that of my loved ones.
3. Eliminate smoking first, and vaping second.
4. Live a healthier lifestyle with better nutrition, exercise and the elimination of toxic substances as far as possible.
5. Die of anything else besides tobacco and nicotine related causes.

Last edited:

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Essentially, I don't expect to be vaping for the rest of my life. I can do better than that.

-I tried to quit smoking cold turkey several times, without success.

-Vaping works. I can quit smoking with easier with vaping.

-I will reduce my nicotine consumption by vaping weaker nicotine juice until I can quit vaping. I will resist the enticement to buy more and more efficient nicotine delivering APVs. I see no need to vape zero mg nicotine. Deep breathing will suffice (I hope).

-Goal: A healthier and longer life.

Message to younger people: If you aren't hooked on smoking, don't take up vaping. The devil lurks in nicotine. If you don't want to pay the price, don't play.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
I wouldn't vape in the same room with them, but it's fine in the same house. The vapor dissipated too quickly to be a worry if you're in another room.
Maybe, if you have a drafty house. My 30-year old solar heated house is as tight as a drum. No drafts to speak of during the winter. During the spring and fall we have a lot of open air and vaping in one room will probably not travel to another. That's not the case during the winter when the house is sealed for heating or the dead of summer, when it's sealed for cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread