Is it true that vaping with Titanium coils can be as harmful as smoking cigarettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokyo87

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
Some say Titanium is the worst wire for making coils for vaping because Titanium when heated releases TiO2 nano-particles which are very harmful to human body. Is it true? Do you think coil is large enough to cause any serious damage to the body? Do you think there is enough particles from coil to cause damage?

Poslano z mojega SM-G955F z uporabo Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I stay away from titanium for the most part because Stainless is just so much easier to deal with and can be used in wattage OR temp mode.

IDK if vaping titanium is as bad or worse than smoking cigarettes, honestly, but I will say that used IMPROPERLY it's not a great idea (nickel either) and both can Only be used in temperature mode and can't be dry burned to clean and etc.

I just think Stainless steel is a much better choice and I doubt that titanium IF USED CORRECTLY is harmful, but it's also harder to deal with quite honestly. There are folks who still use titanium I think, because they like it and whatnot. But yes, you do have to know what you are doing BIG time, although I'd still say the (relative) risk as compared to tobacco, you would have to really abuse any titanium coils (e.g. vaping them in wattage mode) to even APPROACH cigarette risk and even then I'm not sure.

But bottom line, if you are new at this, or new to building why not just use stainless steel it's a great wire and etc.

Anna

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I don't THINK (I don't KNOW) titanium dioxide is released from the colors, only the white powders. You really shouldn't be heating it to white at any point. The colors are very hard to remove.
When I used Ti I would anneal it and then rub it with a cloth before using it. I had little fear of it.

But I have no fear with stainless and the stainless I'm using lasts a lot longer than the titanium I was using and I can dry burn to clean it (there's some claims about the safety of doing that too).
All my Ti/Ni only mods have been retired.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Anytime someone claims that anything to do with vaping is as bad as smoking, my reaction is:

ZYJh90K.jpg

I think Ti is fine in TC mode. Now if you dramatically overheat it (red to orange hot) it does form white oxides that flake off, so don't do that.

Every wire used for vaping has some potential issues. Except for Ti, they all contain nickel, chromium, or both.

Personally, I've gone back to Kanthal. Not because I think it's "safer" but because I find it has the best combination of properties (resistance, workability, durability, etc) for the devices I vape on.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Nope.

Titanium is only dangerous at temperatures that FAR exceed those used in vaping. Because titanium wire is used only for temp control vaping the mod will never allow the wire to become hot enough to be dangerous - 1200 degrees F - most mods will only go half that high.

Still - I don't use it. Stainless steel will pull double duty as wattage or TC...so why bother? But I'm not a big TC vaper. There may be some die-hard TI users that will swear the they get a better TC vape using titanium.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
There may be some die-hard TI users that will swear the they get a better TC vape using titanium.
Ti has one big plus: It's much less dense, and although it has a slightly higher specific heat that most other coil materials, it will still have substantially lower heat capacity for any given coil geometry. That means it takes less power to get the coil up to temperature (which means better battery life) and it also cools off faster when one releases the fire button (which should mean less gunk accumulation).

It also has a higher TCR than stainless steel, meaning TC accuracy should be better.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Ti has one big plus: It's much less dense, and although it has a slightly higher specific heat that most other coil materials, it will still have substantially lower heat capacity for any given coil geometry. That means it takes less power to get the coil up to temperature (which means better battery life) and it also cools off faster when one releases the fire button (which should mean less gunk accumulation).

It also has a higher TCR than stainless steel, meaning TC accuracy should be better.

See? Lots of smart people here to help. :)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
They make Titanium in Henderson. They have been fined for pollution numerous times over the years including one Chlorine gas leak.
I don't see how this is relevant to the discussion at hand. I'm confident we could find similar "dirt" on makers of any of the metals we use for coil wire.

Some say Titanium is the worst wire for making coils for vaping because Titanium when heated releases TiO2 nano-particles which are very harmful to human body. Is it true? Do you think coil is large enough to cause any serious damage to the body? Do you think there is enough particles from coil to cause damage?

Firstly, apologies for reviving a week's old thread.

Hello, i've been vaping on solely Titanium by Temco and UD for the most part of the TC life. That would be.. 3-4 years, ever since I got my DNA40. Tried SS coils, but they took a while to heat up producing vapor, and retains the heat for longer. Flavor was slightly muted, but not as bad as kanthal. Easier to work with thats for sure.

Ti has been in every tank/ dripper i've owned, some works better than others (very reliant on Ohm stability in TC). Currently rocking a Sapor V1 with dual claptons, .2 ohms at 130W, Savour MTL single clapton 0.42. DNA200.

Bottomline is, Ti is harder to work with, coiling is springy (I personally torch it after the coil is made to retain its shape, of course not to red glow, but just a few seconds to heat it up just enough to retain its shape), Hotspot removal is a pain since u cant just glow it red hot, but requires pulsing in a dark room to see the faintest glow. Else, its probably the best flavor wire I personally tried, along with my friend's who never went back to kanthal.
Oh, another thing is, my coils don't need replacing that often, Sapor had Ti microcoils for a year until I snapped one of the legs by rushing my wicking. Since then i've moved to clapton and have not broke/ replaced any coils.
Here's a pic of my Sapor currently, about 4 months old, still blue like new. I do try to avoid gunky juices, but sometimes u won't know its gunky until u bought it :p
580057-c81f17953b08dbbad17654a287bfd89b.jpg

Feel free to ask me any questions regarding Ti, would love to hear / answer any questions that I can :)

Cheers,
Darren.

Attachments

• 30441468_10157376132549899_6172416853927788544_n.jpg
    30441468_10157376132549899_6172416853927788544_n.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 37
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread