The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Is it worth buying an ultrasonic cleaner?

Discussion in 'E-Cigarette Accessories Discussion' started by Susaz, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Susaz

Susaz Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Lately I've been having problems cleaning my T3 heads, even after a night long soak in alcohol. I wonder if it's going to be a great difference or should I keep on cleaning by hand?

2. Thepinfamily

Thepinfamily Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I have one I use for my other hobbies and ive been using it for my cleaning with great results. If your going to do this for a while its well worth it.

3. bineva17

bineva17 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 29, 2012
    Hanoi
    I used the 4$ worth from China and threw it

4. adeline

adeline Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    Cary, NC
    If you ever plan on mixing your own liquids, the ultrasonic cleaner helps reduce steeping time. I'm hoping to be able to vape happily after 2 days instead of several weeks. :)

5. Thepinfamily

Thepinfamily Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I was wondering this yesterday. How long do you run the UC for?

6. Paulette

Paulette Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Florida
    I was wondering what you put in the US cleaner to clean the heads?

7. Atlexus

Atlexus Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Norcross, GA
    what's a good store to but one at?

-Atlexus

8. Paulette

Paulette Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Florida
  9. akatina

akatina Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    I have a US for cleaning skate bearings; I could totally see using it to clean attys. PGA or water should work, I've used both in my ultra sonic (well, 91% isopropyl but still).

10. adeline

Nov 15, 2010
    Cary, NC
  11. spider362

spider362 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 27, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    If you have a Harbor Freight near by, this is a good one: Ultrasonic Cleaner - Item#3305

12. akatina

akatina Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    This is exactly the one I have. Small, easy to use, and doesn't require a boatload of liquid to run. It's not the easiest thing in the world to empty/drain though.

13. adeline

Nov 15, 2010
    Cary, NC
    If you don't mind ordering online, Amazon has a pretty wide selection, too.

14. tmcase

tmcase ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Interesting. I can see where the ultrasonic would help to mix up the juice contents but time gives those contents time to blend together. I don't understand how this could reduce steeping time but it's worth a try. :)

15. tmcase

tmcase ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    If your T3 uses silica wick then you can dry burn and then carefully scrape off the charred crud with a toothpick.

16. adeline

Nov 15, 2010
    Cary, NC
    It combines heat (hot water in the tank, and some models have a built-in heat option) and ultrasonic vibrations that speed up the process. Makes the molecules move faster and blend together very quickly. Check out the threads I linked.. explains it better than I can.

17. djensen9367

djensen9367 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    oregon
    I got mine from harbor freight also, but it is the 75.00 one. It has an 8 min run time and a heater - it works great

18. mostlyclassics

mostlyclassics Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

For both cartos and Vivi Nova heads, I use 91% isopropyl alcohol in an ultrasonic cleaner. About ten zaps in 91% isopropyl works wonders for cartos -- just blow them out thoroughly and let them dry for several days to a week. Four or five zaps does good things to Vivi Nova heads -- it seems to loosen the crud on the coils, which can then be lightly scraped with a toothpick and dry-burned after drying overnight or longer.

Isopropyl alcohol is a poison. But it evaporates completely. On the other hand, "rubbing" alcohol is booze alcohol that has poisons in it -- some of those poisons do not evaporate. Only use isopropyl alcohol!

Is it worth buying an ultrasonic cleaner? Yes, IMO, even if you're just using it to clean vaping hardware. Before there were Vivi Novas and other decent clearos, I must have revived a couple of hundred dollars worth of cartos using my $26 ultrasonic cleaner.

19. Unforeseen

Unforeseen Admin
    Commercial/Suppliers Asst. Manager
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Moved to Assorted PV Topics - E-Cigarette Accessories Discussion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.