• I don't think either is a better or worse option

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokingInTexas

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2008
Texas, USA
I'm not sure how to vote on this one Kate. I have an Njoy, and Janty, and Generics. So far, the customer service with Njoy has been acceptable, so the warranty works. But I also like the luxury of paying cheap prices for something I can play with, and have found highly usable, and don't worry about not being able to replace free. So I guess I like the mix. STOP MAKING ME THINK!!! lol

I WILL be interested in the customer service if/when it's 11 months old, or I am on my 14th battery or atomizer....

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
1947_eating_popcorn_and_drinking_beer.gif

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I'm not sure what you mean Tex, I would have thought that it would be cheaper to experiment with guaranteed stuff, then you don't have to pay to have it replaced. If you mess up a non-guaranteed part you have to pay to replace it. Unless you do something outrageous with your hardware that isn't covered by guarantee I suppose.

You're right Trog but I was thinking of the long warranty debate though, not price. The difference between 28 day guarantees and the longer ones. The price isn't just about guarantees, the quality of branded hardware can be different too in my experience.

vafvaf

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2008
Europe
the problem is that what the branded company give us as a guarantee its not realy a guarantee; i would say its kind of time fixed contract of replacement, which make your depend from particular company...!!!!
and initial problem that most of the customer who dont have knowledge about ecig product would not know that its not a "guarantee" as usual ;-), and here the cheating..

SmokingInTexas

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2008
Texas, USA
It depends on your personal outlook on it Kate. I personally would rather NOT have to make constant exchanges. Even though no one is/has given me a hard time about an exchange, I still don't like waiting on the first time it occurs because they think I did something "bad" to it or I replaced something too many times. I like knowing that when something fails(through normal use), I (still) have the ability to send it back and have it replaced (within a reasonable timeframe). But there are things I feel more comfortable doing with a $10 atomizer, as opposed to possibly damaging the EXPENSIVE one, and possibly having to justify my actions to get it replaced.

But I might be a bad example...So far, I've exchanged an Njoy atomizer and battery (both defective hardware, not bad through normal wear and tear), and I'm going to exchange a Janty atomizer that isn't performing well also (even after a cleaning that MAY not have been authorized by Janty). Overall, my atomizers and batteries seem to be holding up pretty well and I am not experiancing the issues that seem to be so common for others on the forum. Maybe I'm not using them as much, I'm just luckier, or it's all waiting to break at the same time. But so far, I'm pretty happy with it all. And I like the mix of what I have. I still want everything to be 99.999% dependable, but then...I also want to never have to pay taxes again too. Some things we just have to live with, and take advantage of what's available at the present.

I think the 1 year on the Njoy is...reasonable. 5 years on one of those (Sedansa?) I think may come to haunt the vendor, and at the current price point, I think the generic guarantee (14 days) is reasonable also (replaces DOA hardware essentially).

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Thanks Tex :)

Sometimes it seems to me that some discussions bubble under the surface and can cause annoyance because they are hard to address. I like issues to be up front and out in the open so they can be talked about without too much angst.

This issue has been a bit of an undercurrent while I've been around as well as value for money and quality. At least we have somewhere to bring the discussion if we want to instead of spreading it over different threads.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
thats got to be my main gripe about the guarantee thing.. to me a guarantee should reflect the expected life of the product.. when used for the purpose its sold for..

this is where it all goes wrong.. no one tells us the purpose its sold for.. an occasional use smoking supplement (the original ruyan idea) or a total 30 a day smoking replacement.. the current idea for some..

the way i see it is very simple.. some of the ruyan type sellers have slipped up..

they are now selling to some 30 a day total replacement people a device thats only really suitable for occasional smoking supplement use..

the mis-selling isnt intentional it caught them by surprise.. some of them are now lumbered with a guarantee they cant truely honour..

just my take on the scene..

trog

ps.. i have ticked the not worth it box.. its only an cig thing thow..

Last edited:

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I agree with you Trog, a product should be expected to last at least as long as the guarantee.

How can Sedansa survive on £14.59 a year per device? They will have to rethink at some point but in the meantime it's a great deal for consumers as long as they don't go bust. I don't see the point in buying cheap when the sellers subsidise us with badly thought out guarantees. Janty have caught on and their guarantee is much more limited, their yearly revenue per customer is far more realistic.

This thread might be of interest to newbies reading here - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/electronic-cigarette-reviews/2452-value-money.html#post38434 The first post miscalculates the cost of Janty's Kissbox, you have to read into the thread a bit to get a more realistic costing.

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
ok,cost and how theyre marketed is the paramount issue...

but another consideration is proximity of supplier...we have no brand suppliers based in the UK...which i believe makes a guarantee even harder to honour effectively...plus the brand companies all seem short staffed...keeping costs down,no doubt...that isnt going to fly for much longer...

maybe the USA is slightly different in this respect...im not sure how long they have to wait now for replacements from the big brands with outlets based there...

i mean,i know the UK is close to mainland Europe...but sometimes it takes too long for stuff to arrive...different postal systems etc...i dunno...i could swim there and back faster...and i cant swim...
ive got stuff from China quicker in some cases...

some are lucky and get replacements within a week...but many others have to wait much longer...not good if youre one of those depending on a guarantee...

i think you must take this into account also,there are other costs besides money,like hassle and stress and posting...and then waiting...and hoping it hurrys up...

opportunity cost must also be factored in.

ismoke

Unregistered Supplier
Jun 19, 2008
UK
www.ismoke.tv
I believe it depends on where you buy from. For example, if you purchase your product from a UK retailer, then you have statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) or the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (as amended) notwithstanding the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, which came into force in March 2003. Any guarantee or warranty is a simply discretionary contract provided by the manufacturer and which forms a separate agreement between you and them and UK law actually implies terms into every consumer sale, to include that goods must be of satisfactory quality, regardless of any warranty/guarantee.

Technically you could still claim a replacement or repair for up to six years after purchasing a product (or five years in Scotland) although your rights under the Sale of Goods Act do weaken over time and with usage etc.

There is also the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 which offer further protection for a non-business buyer who purchases from a seller acting in the course of a business, which has been made at a distance.

As a consumer I expect goods that I purchase to be of good quality, fit for purpose and I expect them to last a reasonable period of time, depending of course on what they are and the use I put them to.

So to answer the original question, yes, I believe a warranty is worth paying for because not only does it give peace of mind to the buyer, it also demonstrates that the seller is willing to stand by the quality and durability of their products.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
stop asking daft question kate.. he he he

only joking but how "long is a piece string springs to mind"..

u should remember i "provoked" long and hard to get the suppliers to say how many puffs per atomizer.. i failed to get an answer which in itself was an answer..

these threads kinds push belief system principles.. which is why they can get messy.. some people on principle will never buy cheap.. the likes of me on principle will never buy expensive..

i had a long term friend who used to hold the old school u get what u pay for belief.. he used to buy makita power tools i bought six chinese copies for the same money..

he even bought his bread to feed the birds from marks and spencers.. he he he.. that isnt a joke by the way..

me i get the bread i eat from aldis.. he he he

basically the bread i eat my friend didnt think fit to feed the bloody birds with..

different planets kate.. different belief systems.. he he

trog

ps.. just to add years ago the difference between cheap and expensive used to be 50% or so.. it made more sense then to spend the little extra.. now it can be a factor of % 600.. things have changed..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread