Is it worth rebuilding mini vivi nova heads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonies

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
in the cat toy aisle
I use my mini vivi nova metal tanks on my 2 spinners a lot! I have them in rotation daily with some pretty sweet juices. All of my 2.4 heads are shot so I either need to reorder them or start rebuilding. Have you rebuilt these? They're pretty tiny. After taking them apart I see that the ones I had (Vision) had some wire mesh wrapped around the the actual coil head...interesting. Just wondering if it's worth the rebuild or if it's a major PITA!! Or maybe I should just buy an actual rebuildable tank set up. :confused: Thanks for any feedback! :confused:

Cavediver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Buford, Ga
PBusardo seems to think it's pretty easy.
A PBusardo Tutorial - Vivi Nova Cleaning & Rebuilding - YouTube
Thinking to myself,"Hey, if he can do it, so can I", I ordered the wick and wire.

Then I took one apart and saw how small it is.

Then I ordered a few replacements :laugh:

I'm sure I'll learn it eventually, but right now is not the time (for me). That, and I want functioning vaping gear while I learn...

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
It is cheaper, since every rebuilt head will be about like new and only cost pennies. It's also really convenience, since you can buy some wire and wick for the price of a 5 pack of heads and rebuild for the next few months easy.

All you really should need for tools are some small tweezers and a fingernail clipper. It takes a little practice at first but eventually you'll learn how to work with this tiny stuff.

0_0 *** Sent from my Droid Incredible 4G LTE *** 0_0

Reactions: timinftl

roonies

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
in the cat toy aisle
PBusardo seems to think it's pretty easy.
A PBusardo Tutorial - Vivi Nova Cleaning & Rebuilding - YouTube
Thinking to myself,"Hey, if he can do it, so can I", I ordered the wick and wire.

Then I took one apart and saw how small it is.

Then I ordered a few replacements :laugh:

I'm sure I'll learn it eventually, but right now is not the time (for me). That, and I want functioning vaping gear while I learn...

Ha! Yeah, I'd watched his video before and just rewatched it. The full size is one thing, looks easy enough, but this mini is really small! I'm thinking I'll just order replacement heads and practice while I have some functioning ones. I may spring for the full size vivi 2.5 since I have the right skirt for the spinner to make it look not quite so ridiculous. thanks!

Cavediver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Buford, Ga
Ha! Yeah, I'd watched his video before and just rewatched it. The full size is one thing, looks easy enough, but this mini is really small! I'm thinking I'll just order replacement heads and practice while I have some functioning ones. I may spring for the full size vivi 2.5 since I have the right skirt for the spinner to make it look not quite so ridiculous. thanks!

I believe the mini and the full size units take the same coil heads.

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN

The heads are the same for the full size and mini. I've been rebuilding mine for about 6 months and it's quite easy. Make sure you have a way to check resistance and shorts before you jump in just to be safe.
#4 100% cotton yarn fits perfectly and produces much better flavor than silica wicks too. If you need advice or some pointers pm me and I'd be glad to help.

roonies

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
in the cat toy aisle
The heads are the same for the full size and mini. I've been rebuilding mine for about 6 months and it's quite easy. Make sure you have a way to check resistance and shorts before you jump in just to be safe.
#4 100% cotton yarn fits perfectly and produces much better flavor than silica wicks too. If you need advice or some pointers pm me and I'd be glad to help.

Thanks! I've got a meter and I'd been thinking of cotton instead of silica. Do you use Kanger 32 or a different gauge? Funny how big those heads look on P. Busardo's video and how teeny tiny they look on my counter top!! Appreciate all the replies. :)

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Yeah, it seems that just about everything I see online looks gigantic, so when I get my hands on things I'm almost a bit disappointed.:)

The cotton is great IMO the only downside is that it doesn't last as long, but if you want you can just slide the old wick out and insert a new one without rebuilding. I usually just rebuild because its not much more work and I find it relaxing.

For wire I use either 32 or 34 kanthal A-1, I like them both for different reasons but 32 is probably a good starting point. What type of pv are you using the vivi on?

Chikenbok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
New York, NY
Once you wrap the first coil you'll realize how easy it really is. Your coils don't have to look beautiful when you first wrap em, just make sure they're close together - you can fix them when its seated on the head. I don't use novas anymore but I just finished wrapping about 10 new coils for my buddy's with 32g and they're all fine. For the record, he's using a some kind of 1100mah VV device (ego style something). I was getting between 1.8-2.5ohms depending on the coil. It's one of the easiest rebuilds I've done in a long time.

Good luck!

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I have had success with rebuilding the Vivi nova with cotton roll. But the only way it wicks nice and fits nice in that small head opening, at least for me, is to wrap the coil first around a small drill bit and torch the coil with a lighter while its on the bit. Then slide it off and do it again. That makes the coil get real stiff and keep its shape. Then you can even squeeze the spring type coil together to make the wraps closer to fit in the head easier and it still retains its shape. Then I feed the cotton through it and put it on head. Then I put a feeder wick laying on top over the coil and dangling for extra wicking. Then I put a tiny notch in the plastic cap that goes on top right above each wick where the cap rests so there is room for better wicking. Next just trim down the cotton legs to the length you want. I've had no leaks or dry burns doing it this way. It's really that easy! :)

roonies

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
in the cat toy aisle
Yeah, it seems that just about everything I see online looks gigantic, so when I get my hands on things I'm almost a bit disappointed.:)

The cotton is great IMO the only downside is that it doesn't last as long, but if you want you can just slide the old wick out and insert a new one without rebuilding. I usually just rebuild because its not much more work and I find it relaxing.

For wire I use either 32 or 34 kanthal A-1, I like them both for different reasons but 32 is probably a good starting point. What type of pv are you using the vivi on?

I'm using a couple of spinners....saving up for a mod but I'm in vape heaven where I'm at so no big rush. I'm stoked to rebuild. It looks fun and easy...I'm a tinkerer so I'm sure it will go great after a couple tries. I'll let y'all know. Thanks to everyone!! very helpful group....gratitude!! :)

nate85

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
United States, Michigan

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
Oh, and I use 32 gauge kanthal. 6 wraps on a 1/16 drill bit (I think that's the size but not sure) gives me a coil at about 2.7 ohms. Just be sure to burn the coil just til it gets red so it hardens to the shape. It also gets the machining oils and stuff off the coil so the flavor is better. I also boiled my cotton for 20 mins. Then boiled again in clean water for 20 mins., and then let dry out real good. I got the cotton roll from Walgreens. Just takes a little bit of cotton and roll it into tight wick shape with a little VG on your fingers to make it thin. Very easy.

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
this is what i bought to rebuild my wife and i's mini nova tanks. havent used it yet but will soon. was cheap also so i should save a good amount of money

wire: Kanthal A1 Wire 32 Gauge 100 ft 0 25oz Resistance Resistor AWG A 1 | eBay

wick: (20 yards of the #1/0) Square Braided 100 Cotton Wick 6 0 4 0 2 0 1 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 | eBay

Temco is definitely the Place to go for Kanthal, awesome price and fast shipping.
I've tried silica, hemp twine, ceramic, cotton ball, square braided cotton wick, and cotton yarn. The cotton yarn came out as the clear winner, plus as a bonus it's the cheapest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread